Donation Of English Dictionary And Teaching English Books

There is a nice little village in the mountains that has a Wat, that has a Monk, that needs teaching supplies to help the local kids learn English and he asked me to request for him and I am with this post. Will accept any donations or could anyone point me in the right direction to aquire English language course material at a reasonable price or donation. maybe there are some foundations or organizations that could help.

The next request will be for volunteer teachers.

the location is high elevation in the cool mountains surrounding Chiang Mai. It sould be a cool break for any volunteers at 1000mtrs high.

Yes a work permit is needed, however, the first request is for materials.

Then a volunteer teacher. There are people who volunteer and do get work permits.

So, what about the kind falangs that voluntarily teach at schools in their spare time?? I'm not talking a full time situation, but occasional weekends and totally casual.....simply conversational English. Is just having a conversation with a Thai and correcting their English while speaking considered 'teaching'?? If so, then I'm guilty because I correct my wife and kids English all the time.

Again......Is just having a conversation with a Thai and correcting their English while speaking considered 'teaching'??

Can it simply be called 'conversation in English'??

This would be at a remote Wat [not a school] and with full approval of the monk and puyai baan etc.....

A couple of minutes per year, no problem. Helping family, likewise. Regularly teaching, even for free, anywhere in Thailand, requires a work permit. Always.

[/q

Please consider that you'll have to have the right type of visa. Being near a small community would enable you to see all monks, the Phu Jai Baan, a kind of a chief in the village. ( Little Tamboon for all.)

Make friends with cops, otherwise they wouldn't like you.

I wish you very good luck. Take care..............

Add: Why was the guy asking for books? To make money using people like us, helping others???? And teaching English using our books, as well.

Hope they enjoy it.

P.S. The poster is just about the next Super Hero.

post-39518-1272732719_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sisaketmike

I just wanna help [all] Thais learn English and this monk, who i respect asked me if i could get books and if I knew anyone who would volunteer to teach.

So, If actual "teaching" is out because of work permit bs, then maybe there are some courses available on dvd that I could donate. Could anyone recomend any good [patom level] courses on dvd/cd??

Would that doesn't offend the work permit cops???

i wonder why it is not possible to offer help, does anyone know?

i speculate on the possibility of a belief based on the knowledge that you cant learn from those from a lower social order, am i right?

good luck with the project

Hi Jaideeguy,

We run a TEFL certification training course in Chiang Mai. Successful graduates are eligible to join the DSS Foundation as a volunteer. The foundation provides paperwork and administers applications for volunteer teachers to obtain long-term non-immigrant O visas and volunteer work permits. I think we currently have around 10 volunteers who have volunteer work permits in Chiang Mai. As part of the initial process an organization needs to contact the DSS Foundation formally by letter to invite volunteers to join them. If you can send me more information, I can pass that on to our alumni network to see if anyone's interested.

A guy from a Japanese educational charitable organization contacted me around 6 months ago asking for names of schools who I felt needed donations. Tell me more about the Wat/temple school and I can forward the information to him.

What sort of teaching materials are you looking for? IE age and level. We may be able to help you here as well.

John Quinn

SEE TEFL

Forum Sponsor

http://seetefl.com/thailand-volunteer-visa/

Edited by SEETEFL

I just wanna help [all] Thais learn English and this monk, who i respect asked me if i could get books and if I knew anyone who would volunteer to teach.

So, If actual "teaching" is out because of work permit bs, then maybe there are some courses available on dvd that I could donate. Could anyone recomend any good [patom level] courses on dvd/cd??

Would that doesn't offend the work permit cops???

A very good program comes on a DVD, called Rosetta Stone. There's one with 32 languages, for students who want to learn a very good program even for self studies.

Another way to learn English is using www.bankokpost.com check for young learners. It's a fantastic way of learning because the stories come with the vocabulary explanation in English and Thai.

Hope they do have access to Internet.

Maybe you could get in touch with me to find a way to get R.S. Good luck.

Naam....it's my wife that does the 'work' ....does she need a work permit?? And I leave no evidence behind nowadays, as I got the 'nip'.

And to the more serious.....thanks for the tips, I know a little about the rosetta stone method and did find some torrents that may work and will check out the BKK Post.

And John Quinn....would my getting a work permit conflict with my 'supporting spouse' visa?? Maybe you could PM me your phone number and we can talk?? or maybe I'll call the contact number on the website....Thanks for the links and info....