How Old Were You When You First Tasted Raw Fish Sushi?

Jingthing

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sushi may be flash frozen where you eat it (7-11?), but that is laughable in Japan at most of the sushi/sashimi restaurants and seaside villages/cities.

There are plenty of places that sell sushi outside of Japan these days and most make sure that it has been frozen to prevent parasites. whistling.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horse tartare? OMG, congratulations, you've reached deep into my DISCOMFORT zone! Have tried snails and frogs, snails taste good with the garlic but once was enough, frog tastes like chicken but its too weird for me, once was enough.

Horse tartare? OMG, congratulations, you've reached deep into my DISCOMFORT zone! Have tried snails and frogs, snails taste good with the garlic but once was enough, frog tastes like chicken but its too weird for me, once was enough.

Yes, you are right Jingthing, it is not a nice thing to do ! did not know better at this time, was a kid. Use to have a lot of horse meat shops, they was separated from the beef boucher, i am not touching now to horse / bear / long life animal / young animal (veal) and some other !

i saw yesterday in the restaurant next door, a customer bringing a pet rabbit with her, we smile, i was ready to tell her in France we like to eat rabbit .. be i refrain hahaha

i love to much dogs to think so people can eat them.

Forgot to said frog legs is not the same if made with toad or the cute green type frogs :)

Edited by simcity

Never, as PB says, Had caviar a few times, does that count? If its cooked, I will try it but raw meat goes against my rural upbringing.

Caviar is generally salted/processed so it probably doesn't count.

Had "horse tartare" at a fancy Japanese sashimi restaurant in Miyakanojo, Kiyushu. As usual, the Japanese business host did the ordering without my input. Good thing, because he paid for it too ($300 a plate). Just as disgusting as sushi, except very red and marbled with a lot more fat than I would have expected.

On the same business trip had "chicken tartare" in a mountain restaurant. Slices of raw chicken artfully draped over small mounds of sushi rice. Maybe artfully draped, but still disgusting to feel the slimy morsel in the mouth. Seeing my extreme surprise at raw chicken on any restaurant menu, my Japanese business associate assured me, "These are very clean chickens that the restaurant raises on its property. No disease." Oh great. Really helps to force it down.

Actually, to get through such a meal with a smile and no grimacing, great quantities of sake are a prerequisite!

Edited by toptuan

Named my kid after a salmon pool on the river Tweed : aka Maxwell. This should give you a hint as to the Mrs' fondness of smoked salmon.

I like it a lot but not everyday.

BTW OP, I have never tasted un-raw fish sushi, how is that?

Named my kid after a salmon pool on the river Tweed : aka Maxwell. This should give you a hint as to the Mrs' fondness of smoked salmon.

Smoked salmon sushi is rather common. Also veggie sushi. It's like sushi without the raw fish, not too hard to imagine.

Smoked salmon sushi is rather common. Also veggie sushi. It's like sushi without the raw fish, not too hard to imagine.

Ok ok mate, just like non-alcohol beer is still beer. Why don't you a poll like...

When you think of the word sushi what comes to mind?

1 - Raw fish rolled up in rice and seaweed.

2 - Veggie pieces rolled up in rice and seaweed.

:)

Ok ok mate, just like non-alcohol beer is still beer. Why don't you a poll like...

When you think of the word sushi what comes to mind?

1 - Raw fish rolled up in rice and seaweed.

2 - Veggie pieces rolled up in rice and seaweed.

:)

I believe you guys are talking about the ever-popular "California Sushi?" Great for us raw-fish-haters who have to be "one of the boys" when going out to eat Japanese. :D

I lived in California for decades and not once did I hear vegetarian sushi referred to as California sushi. Oy vey!

Well see how educational reading ThaiVisa can be? :)

Not really. As I don't accept the term "California sushi" as vegetarian sushi and neither does google apparently, as you won't find any top hits on California sushi that refer to that misguided meaning.

Edited by Jingthing

I lived in California for decades and not once did I hear vegetarian sushi referred to as California sushi. Oy vey!

Well see how educational reading ThaiVisa can be? :D

Not really. As I don't accept the term "California sushi" as vegetarian sushi and neither does google apparently, as you won't find any top hits on California sushi that refer to that misguided meaning.

Sorry your personal experience and research skills are so limited.

The term has been used on the West Coast (USA and Canada) for over 20 years. For example, it's on the menu in most Seattle and Vancouver Japanese restaurants.

A Google search shows over 41,000 websites, and even two videos showing you how to make it. Sometimes also called "California Roll" and sometimes contains cooked crab meat, but never raw seafood.

Jingthing, you're a smart guy, but you don't know everything...yet. Keep working on it though. :)

Edited by toptuan

You're joking, right? California Roll is NOT vegetarian!!! Of course I know what California roll is, dude. It is popular in California and globally. The point I don't agree with is that the term "California sushi" (NOT CALIFORNIA ROLL) means vegetarian sushi. Yes, you could make ANY sushi type veggie, including a California Roll, but the STANDARD California Roll is most certainly not vegetarian. Give it up, you are embarrassing yourself. The part that makes it California even though again the standard version is not veggie is the avocado or wiki says in some countries mango, but in my book avocado is a must.

Typical Cali roll shown, with avocado, fake crab meat (which is fish which is not a vegetable) and fish eggs (not a vegetable)

post-37101-1273234509_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

You're joking, right? California Roll is NOT vegetarian!!! Of course I know what California roll is, dude. It is popular in California and globally. The point I don't agree with is that the term "California sushi" (NOT CALIFORNIA ROLL) means vegetarian sushi. Yes, you could make ANY sushi type veggie, including a California Roll, but the STANDARD California Roll is most certainly not vegetarian. Give it up, you are embarrassing yourself. (California Roll MUST have avocado in it.)

If you knew what California roll was then you'd know it's also-popular alternate name. (Now who is embarrassing themselves?)

In the late 1960's the Tokyo Kaikan restaurant in your native California then featured one of the first sushi bars in Los Angeles. Ichiro Mashita, a sushi chef at the Kaikan, began substituting avocado for tuna (toro) and after further experimentation, the California roll (or "California Sushi") was born. It's main contribution was to pacify the palates of those who did not like raw seafood.

And your point about avocado MUST being in it? Sorry, avocado is not a meat. Duh. Research it.

Edited by toptuan

It is NOT vegetarian. I never mentioned the raw fish part of it. You think you've won an argument of your OWN design. I was never involved in that one. What I objected to was the falsehood that California sushi means vegetarian sushi. You can't prove that wrong because it isn't wrong. You are annoying me now. Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

OK OK! If UG, TV's Culinary Officionado, objects, then :)

I'm gonna take my California-Vegetarian-Sushi-Roll-etc. and go over to the corner to sulk.

Edited by toptuan

I'm gonna take my California-Vegetarian-Sushi-Roll-etc. and go over to the corner to sulk.

No biggie. I am wrong sometimes too. Its best to concede earlier though. Otherwise, what's going on, a pissing contest?

Jingthing is correct. California rolls always have crab (or fish masquerading as crab) and many places (in Thailand) substitute cucumber for avocado, but that is not the real thing.

Yeah, avocado is expensive here, but really to me they're not worth eating without the cado. They should call them Cheap Charlie Thai rolls instead.

No biggie. I am wrong sometimes too. Its best to concede earlier though. Otherwise, what's going on, a pissing contest?

I don't concede until I'm convinced. So, I would think my timing is my business, not yours.

Incidentally, when someone apologizes, it shows a mature attitude not to keep stomping on them. But some have a need to keep at it... Why don't you just put me on "ignore" like you threatened today in a PM to me, in which you also called my arguments "trivial" and "fishing" for an argument? Then you could relax. :D

Edited by toptuan