Weird Dining Experience

phetaroi

Tonight we went to Classic Bell Restaurant on Suk 26. Very weird experience. They were friendly to us when we arrived. We examined the menu, ordered and it was a very long wait. But it was also an entertaining wait. Older local men were doing Thai karaoke...so it was humorously entertaining. After waiting about 40 minutes for our food they came and told us they were all out of chicken...which happened to be what 3 of our 4 dishes included. Although we hadn't ordered spring rolls, another table had...and instead of coming in from the kitchen, they came in from the outside (as in bags from another restaurant or shop). I began to think they really don't want us here...although I couldn't come up with a single reason why that would be true. Finally we did get sweet and sour pork (excellent), yum wun seen (standard/good), and a noodle dish (quite good). All the while I was thinking that they don't want us here. But then I noted that in the small private dining room nobody really seemed to be enjoying themselves either. They sort of ignored another couple waiting for a table for quite a long while. The family next to us had very slim pickings food-wise. Only the group of 7 or 8 old men seemed to be having a good time. We both (I am American, my partner is Thai) walked away completely mystified about what was going on.

Anyone every been there and had any unusual dining experience?

Edited by phetaroi

Sounds like very poorly managed place with very poorly trained staff... one of the first things the waiters/waitresses should know is if the kitchen is out of anything significant, so that they can alert the customers and not have problems like this crop up- sounds like the cook didn't even look at your order until that 40 minute wait was over, too, so what was going on? Nothing worth going back to the restaurant for.

one of the first things the waiters/waitresses should know is if the kitchen is out of anything significant, so that they can alert the customers

I'm a pretty easy going diner when it comes to service etc. It'd have to be really shoddy for me to complain but an incident in Sizzler Khin Kaen a few weeks ago got my goat.

I ordered a burger and my wife and daughter ordered one of their combos. Their food arrived and after a few more minutes I inquired about the burger. They've ran out. And they were going to tell me when? After the next appearance of Bailey's comet? Would I like something else? No. I'm not going to wait another 20 minutes while they cook my food and my family have finished their meal and sit waiting for me to scoff it down.

Got the manager and received 50% discount on the bill and a free salad bar for me which will fill me up.

Like I said I'm easy going in restaurants. Some of my folks back home own one and I understand the problems that can occur but if Sizzler have to pay the price for crap service then so be it. It's not as if they're cheap. I'm not a registered charity.

With the way Thais copy so many western ways ... I am still amazed at how long the wait can be between serving guests at the same table. I can understand in a small establishment where each meal may have to be cooked using the same equipment but it blows me away at other place where they simply show no concern that it might be nice to time the cooking of each table to get everyone eating at the same time rather than being a spectator at the table.

Another thing is too they way they hover over your table and give no privacy the minute you sit down while you are tying to look at the menu and share thoughts with your company. Why have a menu if they are going to stand there from the moment you sit? Usually a polite attempt at ordering drinks first doesn't work either as they just stay there and wait for the rest of the order until you ask them to give you time ... and within 60 seconds they are back even though the menus are still in our hands and our faces still in the menu.

In a way it is an attempt at good service but I personally just enjoy my table talk to be among the people at the table and we are all quite capable for asking for help in the rare case were clarification of the menu is needed. And God forbid you go to a nicer restaurant when it is not busy. I feel like I am surrounded by secret service agents and butlers watching my every move at the table and filling my drink each time I take a sip.

I hate to complain about the former since they are trying to provide great service but they put me in a position of having to tell them to back off and we will call them if needed as they rarely seem to get subtle hints that we they should afford us some privacy and want to enjoy our dinner among ourselves and not make them the focus of our outing.

Edited by jcbangkok

one of the first things the waiters/waitresses should know is if the kitchen is out of anything significant, so that they can alert the customers

I'm a pretty easy going diner when it comes to service etc. It'd have to be really shoddy for me to complain but an incident in Sizzler Khin Kaen a few weeks ago got my goat.

I ordered a burger and my wife and daughter ordered one of their combos. Their food arrived and after a few more minutes I inquired about the burger. They've ran out. And they were going to tell me when? After the next appearance of Bailey's comet? Would I like something else? No. I'm not going to wait another 20 minutes while they cook my food and my family have finished their meal and sit waiting for me to scoff it down.

Got the manager and received 50% discount on the bill and a free salad bar for me which will fill me up.

Like I said I'm easy going in restaurants. Some of my folks back home own one and I understand the problems that can occur but if Sizzler have to pay the price for crap service then so be it. It's not as if they're cheap. I'm not a registered charity.

My GF got a craving for Sizzler after we had a great experience at one in Hua Hin but each time we have gone in the BKK area the service has been bad (not so good) and the food not as good. We seemed to both also be convinced they were putting something in the salad bar food to make you feel bloated. Sounds paranoid but every time we have gone in BKK we eat the salad bar and are full and are not in the mood to eat our meal when it comes.

Edited by jcbangkok

Sounds paranoid but every time we have gone in BKK we eat the salad bar and are full and are not in the mood to eat our meal when it comes.

I'm like that but I've put it down to me stuffing my face on Asian potatoes, salsa and sour cream before the main meal arrives. :)

My GF got a craving for Sizzler after we had a great experience at one in Hua Hin but each time we have gone in the BKK area the service has been bad (not so good) and the food not as good. We seemed to both also be convinced they were putting something in the salad bar food to make you feel bloated. Sounds paranoid but every time we have gone in BKK we eat the salad bar and are full and are not in the mood to eat our meal when it comes.

I am a regular at Hua Hin Sizzler, many people do the same...order 169 baht fish and chips.......raid the soups, salad bar, fruit and deserts, then ask for your main meal to take away....they put it in a plastic take away box for you.....cheap or what?????

With the way Thais copy so many western ways ... I am still amazed at how long the wait can be between serving guests at the same table. I can understand in a small establishment where each meal may have to be cooked using the same equipment but it blows me away at other place where they simply show no concern that it might be nice to time the cooking of each table to get everyone eating at the same time rather than being a spectator at the table.

I reckon it's because in Thailand, and all other Asian countries, everyone shares their meals rather than have individual plates so everyone tucks into whatever is put down on the table.