Am I Wrong?

geronimo

Just curious about how you can stay in LOS with no income to speak of? What type of visa are you using? Or are you now a Thai citizen?

Define "No income to speak of"

I make enough money to support me and my family and I borrow the money to get my annual visa.

That's a tiny hurdle when you've been where I have !!!!!!!

bunch of crock people. BORROWS $$S FOR VISA! what a way to live!

well pardon me for breathing!!!!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes and No

I agree that heading into the world with a backpack and a carefree attitude when young is a great life experience.

At the age of 20/21 I found myself penniless in a different part of Africa from you, and, although I obviously survived it, it wasn't without some physical and mental scarring. Starvation is not fun.

I learn't to never be that broke, nor put myself in that situation again. But some great memories and experiences have stayed with me ever since and travel has always remained an important part of my life.

It's nice having great friends who are prepared to go out and accumulate money so you can borrow it when in need, but for me that's where you go wrong.

By your own words you are not self sufficient, and at the age of 54 (HB!) you think this to be your ideal lifestyle. To me this attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

The Little Prince (French: Le Petit Prince), published in 1943, is French aviator Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's most famous novella. Saint-Exupéry wrote it while living in the United States. It has been translated into more than 180 languages and sold more than 80 million copies making it one of the best selling books ever.

An earlier memoir by the author recounts his aviation experiences in the Saharan desert. He is thought to have drawn on these same experiences for use as plot elements in The Little Prince. Saint-Exupéry's novella has been adapted to various media over the decades, including stage, screen and operatic works.

The difference is that the above is a novel. Still my favorite.

The narrator's point of view is interwoven in the first nine chapters and changes from third person to first person. In the first eight days of the narrator being stranded in the desert, the prince has been telling these stories to the narrator.

The prince asks the narrator to draw a sheep. Not knowing how to draw a sheep, the narrator shows the prince a picture that he had previously drawn; a boa with an elephant in its stomach, a drawing which previous viewers mistook for a hat. "No! No!" exclaims the prince. "I don't want a boa constrictor from the inside or outside. I want a sheep!" He tries a few sheep drawings, which the prince rejects. Finally he draws a box, which he explains has the sheep inside. The prince, who can see the sheep inside the box just as well as he can see the elephant in the boa, says "That's perfect."

The home asteroid or "planet" of the little prince is introduced. His asteroid (planet) is house-sized and named B612, which has three volcanoes (two active, and one dormant) and a rose among various other objects. The actual naming of the asteroid B612 is an important concept in the book that illustrates the fact that adults will only believe a scientist who is dressed or acts the same way as they do. According to the book, the asteroid was sighted by a Turkish astronomer in 1909 who had then made a formal demonstration of asteroid B612 to the International Astronomical Congress. "No one had believed him on account of the way he was dressed." Then, he and his people dressed like Europeans and went again to present asteroid B612 to the International Astronomical Congress and they fully believed him and this time credited him with the work.

The prince spends his days caring for his "planet", pulling out the baobab trees that are constantly trying to take root there. The trees will make his little planet turn to dust if they are not removed. Throughout the book he is taught to be patient and to do hard work to keep his "planet" in order. The prince falls in love with a rose that takes root in his planet, who returns his love but is unable to express it due to her own pettiness.

The prince leaves to see what the rest of the universe is like, and visits six other asteroids (numbered from 325 to 330) each of which is inhabited by an adult who is foolish in his own way:

The King who can "control" the stars, but only by ordering them to do what they would do anyway. He then relates this to his human subjects; it is the citizens' duty to obey, but only if the king's demands are reasonable. He orders the prince to leave as his ambassador.

The Conceited Man who wants to be admired by everyone, but lives alone on his planet. He cannot hear anything that is not a compliment.

The Drunkard/Tippler who drinks to forget that he is ashamed of drinking.

The Businessman, chapter 13

The Businessman who is constantly busy counting the stars he thinks he owns. He wishes to use them to buy more stars. The prince then goes on to define property. The prince owns the flower and volcanoes on his planet because he cares for them and they care for him, but because one cannot maintain the stars or be of use to them, he argues, the Businessman cannot own them.

The Lamplighter who lives on an asteroid which rotates once a minute. Long ago, he was charged with the task of lighting the lamp at night and extinguishing it in the morning. At that point, the asteroid revolved at a reasonable rate, and he had time to rest. As time went on, the rotation sped up. Refusing to turn his back on his work, he now lights and extinguishes the lamp once a minute, getting no rest. The prince empathizes with the Lamplighter, the only adult he has met who cares about something other than himself.

The Geographer who spends all of his time making maps, but never leaves his desk to examine anywhere (even his own planet), considering that is the job of an explorer. The Geographer is in any case very doubting of any explorer's character and would most likely disregard the report. He does not trust things he has not seen with his own eyes, yet will not leave his desk. Out of professional interest, the geographer asks the prince to describe his asteroid. The prince describes the volcanoes and the rose. "We don't record flowers," says the geographer, "because they are only ephemeral". The prince is shocked and hurt to learn that his flower will someday be gone. The geographer then recommends that he visit the Earth.

[edit]The Visit to Earth

Chapter 16 begins: "So then the seventh planet was the Earth." On the Earth, he starts out in the desert and meets a snake that claims to have the power to return him to his home planet (A clever way to say that he can kill people, thus "Sending anyone he wishes back to the land from whence he came.") The prince meets a desert-flower, who, having seen a caravan pass by, tells him that there are only a handful of men on Earth and that they have no roots, which lets the wind blow them around making life hard on them. The little prince climbs the highest mountain he has ever seen. From the top of the mountain, he hopes he will see the whole planet and find people, but he sees only a desolate, craggy landscape. When the prince calls out, his echo answers him, and he mistakes it for the voices of humans. He thinks Earth is unnecessarily sharp and hard, and he finds it odd that the people of Earth only repeat what he says to them.

Eventually, the prince comes upon a whole row of rosebushes, and is downcast because he thought that his rose was the only one in the whole universe. He begins to feel that he is not a great prince at all, as his planet contains only three tiny volcanoes and a flower he now thinks of as common. He lies down in the grass and weeps.

Chapter 21: is the author's statement about human love in that the prince then meets and tames a fox, who explains to the prince that his rose is unique and special, because she is the one that he loves. He also explains that in a way he has tamed the flower, as she has tamed him, and that this is why he now feels responsible for her.

Chapter 22–23: The prince then meets a railway switchman and a merchant who provide further comments on the ridiculousness and absurdity of much of the human condition. The switchman tells the prince how passengers constantly rush from one place to another aboard trains, never satisfied with where they are and not knowing what they are after, only the children amongst them bothering to look out of the windows. The merchant tells the prince about his product, a pill which eliminates thirst and is therefore very popular, saving people fifty-three minutes a week; the prince replies that he would use the time to walk and find fresh water.

Chapter 24: the narrator's point of view changes again from third person to first person. The narrator is dying of thirst, but then he and the prince find a well. After some thought, the prince bids an emotional farewell to the narrator, explaining to him that while it will look as though he has died, he has not, but rather that his body is too heavy to take with him to his planet. He tells the narrator that it was wrong of the narrator to come and watch, as it will make him sad. The prince allows the snake to bite him and the next morning, when the narrator looks for the prince, he finds the boy's body has disappeared. The story ends with a portrait of the landscape where the meeting of the prince and the narrator took place and where the snake took the prince's life. The picture is deliberately vague but the narrator also makes a plea that anyone encountering a strange child in that area who refuses to answer questions should contact the narrator immediately.

The little prince is represented as having been on Earth for one year, and the narrator ends the story six years after he is rescued from the desert.

Edited by elcent

Just curious about how you can stay in LOS with no income to speak of? What type of visa are you using? Or are you now a Thai citizen?

I make enough money to support me and my family and I borrow the money to get my annual visa.

treebee (joined today 5 posts) I think this link might be more up your alley:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Colon-Cleans...ok-t144831.html

The Little Prince (French: Le Petit Prince), published in 1943, is French aviator Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's most famous novella. Saint-Exupéry wrote it while living in the United States. It has been translated into more than 180 languages and sold more than 80 million copies making it one of the best selling books ever.

An earlier memoir by the author recounts his aviation experiences in the Saharan desert. He is thought to have drawn on these same experiences for use as plot elements in The Little Prince. Saint-Exupéry's novella has been adapted to various media over the decades, including stage, screen and operatic works.

The difference is that the above is a novel. Still my favorite.

The narrator's point of view is interwoven in the first nine chapters and changes from third person to first person. In the first eight days of the narrator being stranded in the desert, the prince has been telling these stories to the narrator.

The prince asks the narrator to draw a sheep. Not knowing how to draw a sheep, the narrator shows the prince a picture that he had previously drawn; a boa with an elephant in its stomach, a drawing which previous viewers mistook for a hat. "No! No!" exclaims the prince. "I don't want a boa constrictor from the inside or outside. I want a sheep!" He tries a few sheep drawings, which the prince rejects. Finally he draws a box, which he explains has the sheep inside. The prince, who can see the sheep inside the box just as well as he can see the elephant in the boa, says "That's perfect."

The home asteroid or "planet" of the little prince is introduced. His asteroid (planet) is house-sized and named B612, which has three volcanoes (two active, and one dormant) and a rose among various other objects. The actual naming of the asteroid B612 is an important concept in the book that illustrates the fact that adults will only believe a scientist who is dressed or acts the same way as they do. According to the book, the asteroid was sighted by a Turkish astronomer in 1909 who had then made a formal demonstration of asteroid B612 to the International Astronomical Congress. "No one had believed him on account of the way he was dressed." Then, he and his people dressed like Europeans and went again to present asteroid B612 to the International Astronomical Congress and they fully believed him and this time credited him with the work.

The prince spends his days caring for his "planet", pulling out the baobab trees that are constantly trying to take root there. The trees will make his little planet turn to dust if they are not removed. Throughout the book he is taught to be patient and to do hard work to keep his "planet" in order. The prince falls in love with a rose that takes root in his planet, who returns his love but is unable to express it due to her own pettiness.

The prince leaves to see what the rest of the universe is like, and visits six other asteroids (numbered from 325 to 330) each of which is inhabited by an adult who is foolish in his own way:

The King who can "control" the stars, but only by ordering them to do what they would do anyway. He then relates this to his human subjects; it is the citizens' duty to obey, but only if the king's demands are reasonable. He orders the prince to leave as his ambassador.

The Conceited Man who wants to be admired by everyone, but lives alone on his planet. He cannot hear anything that is not a compliment.

The Drunkard/Tippler who drinks to forget that he is ashamed of drinking.

The Businessman, chapter 13

The Businessman who is constantly busy counting the stars he thinks he owns. He wishes to use them to buy more stars. The prince then goes on to define property. The prince owns the flower and volcanoes on his planet because he cares for them and they care for him, but because one cannot maintain the stars or be of use to them, he argues, the Businessman cannot own them.

The Lamplighter who lives on an asteroid which rotates once a minute. Long ago, he was charged with the task of lighting the lamp at night and extinguishing it in the morning. At that point, the asteroid revolved at a reasonable rate, and he had time to rest. As time went on, the rotation sped up. Refusing to turn his back on his work, he now lights and extinguishes the lamp once a minute, getting no rest. The prince empathizes with the Lamplighter, the only adult he has met who cares about something other than himself.

The Geographer who spends all of his time making maps, but never leaves his desk to examine anywhere (even his own planet), considering that is the job of an explorer. The Geographer is in any case very doubting of any explorer's character and would most likely disregard the report. He does not trust things he has not seen with his own eyes, yet will not leave his desk. Out of professional interest, the geographer asks the prince to describe his asteroid. The prince describes the volcanoes and the rose. "We don't record flowers," says the geographer, "because they are only ephemeral". The prince is shocked and hurt to learn that his flower will someday be gone. The geographer then recommends that he visit the Earth.

[edit]The Visit to Earth

Chapter 16 begins: "So then the seventh planet was the Earth." On the Earth, he starts out in the desert and meets a snake that claims to have the power to return him to his home planet (A clever way to say that he can kill people, thus "Sending anyone he wishes back to the land from whence he came.") The prince meets a desert-flower, who, having seen a caravan pass by, tells him that there are only a handful of men on Earth and that they have no roots, which lets the wind blow them around making life hard on them. The little prince climbs the highest mountain he has ever seen. From the top of the mountain, he hopes he will see the whole planet and find people, but he sees only a desolate, craggy landscape. When the prince calls out, his echo answers him, and he mistakes it for the voices of humans. He thinks Earth is unnecessarily sharp and hard, and he finds it odd that the people of Earth only repeat what he says to them.

Eventually, the prince comes upon a whole row of rosebushes, and is downcast because he thought that his rose was the only one in the whole universe. He begins to feel that he is not a great prince at all, as his planet contains only three tiny volcanoes and a flower he now thinks of as common. He lies down in the grass and weeps.

Chapter 21: is the author's statement about human love in that the prince then meets and tames a fox, who explains to the prince that his rose is unique and special, because she is the one that he loves. He also explains that in a way he has tamed the flower, as she has tamed him, and that this is why he now feels responsible for her.

Chapter 22–23: The prince then meets a railway switchman and a merchant who provide further comments on the ridiculousness and absurdity of much of the human condition. The switchman tells the prince how passengers constantly rush from one place to another aboard trains, never satisfied with where they are and not knowing what they are after, only the children amongst them bothering to look out of the windows. The merchant tells the prince about his product, a pill which eliminates thirst and is therefore very popular, saving people fifty-three minutes a week; the prince replies that he would use the time to walk and find fresh water.

Chapter 24: the narrator's point of view changes again from third person to first person. The narrator is dying of thirst, but then he and the prince find a well. After some thought, the prince bids an emotional farewell to the narrator, explaining to him that while it will look as though he has died, he has not, but rather that his body is too heavy to take with him to his planet. He tells the narrator that it was wrong of the narrator to come and watch, as it will make him sad. The prince allows the snake to bite him and the next morning, when the narrator looks for the prince, he finds the boy's body has disappeared. The story ends with a portrait of the landscape where the meeting of the prince and the narrator took place and where the snake took the prince's life. The picture is deliberately vague but the narrator also makes a plea that anyone encountering a strange child in that area who refuses to answer questions should contact the narrator immediately.

The little prince is represented as having been on Earth for one year, and the narrator ends the story six years after he is rescued from the desert.

thanks for that

To the OP:

I believe your story.

I too have enjoyed more than my fair share of the kindness of strangers. Though I've had a rough and tumble life, things usually seem to work out. A Chinese proverb states that 'A ship will straighten as it nears the port' and I've found this to be mostly true in my life so far.

My friendships are frank and open. A very wealthy friend once lamented his anxious and worry-ridden life compared to mine (as he sees it now) despite his far bigger bank balance. At the time I didn't have an answer for him, but reading your post, the answer came to me: Real security comes from within.

Thanks for a great post.

OP

I lived in Elat from 1979 until 1982. It seems that would be around the time you were there? And started this trip from Elat to Cairo. Maybe you could tell us something about Elat and which route you were taking by bus to Cairo? Did you head south thru the Sinai or North thru the Negev?

The title of the thread is 'Am I wrong'. Am I wrong about what? Wrong about leaving home back in the early 70's? (by the way £60 in your pocket in 1974 was a lot of money), wrong about the years of guilt felt by your Mother who probably never even knew where you were (imagine your feelings if your one of your boys left tomorrow and you heard nothing for 6 months or even 3 years). What are you asking that you are wrong about?

Someone mentioned the book on synchronicity, It was called 'The Celestine Prophecies', I think you would enjoy it ...a lot.

The bedouin can be amazingly good people, I have experienced their hospitality.

Good Luck

The celestine prophecies is a story book, not bad, but this book i'm talking abouts title is "syncronicity" it talks about Jungs theory and the lady author gives example of things to illustrate it from her own life, then she entangles it all with astronomy and some her own theorys too. personally i think wrapping thoughts up in stories abit long and unneccarcry but good to get the kids interested, like that "sophies world"

So it's another story book. The Celestine Prophecies was a world number 1 bestseller for a long time. It took Jungs theory and turned it in to a simple effective tale of how synchronicity works, the author then 'entangles it all with astronomy and some of their own theories too'. Have you ever read it?, If you have I am surprised at you dissing it, If you haven't then why are you dissing it?

yes i've read the cellestine prophocies, i'm not dissing it, i said its not bad, but it is a story book, good for kids or introducing the idea, an entertaining read, the other book is more like a dicriptive analysis of the theory illustrated by her experiences, which were also a bit long and often prity random to be honest, but i prefer the way it takes each aspect part by part and gives ways for you think about your own life and recognise things of which it talk.

When i say about the entangaling of astrologies and new theories its in relation to the book i suggested, not a "diss" of the other. i find the theories an interesting expansion and need much mulling. the book i suggested, for me, is more thought provoking, i find a story somewhat disracting, want to turn the page to find out what happens next rather than sit back a think for a while

Sorry mccw

I have to disagree. I am not sure you can be talking of the same book, as it is definitely not a book for kids. Furthermore, the nine lessons contained within it are definitely thought provoking. It is written entirely in the first person, and the major critisism of it was that the plot was a little weak, but critics accepted that the plot was used purely as a vehicle to discuss the philosophy of 9 major spiritual concepts of Humans. Concepts which your average 'kid' would find too deep and would have them sleeping before you knew it. It was only because of the deep teaching elements within the book that it stayed in the Times top 10 for 2 1/2 years.

As an aside in your quotes above you talk one moment that an author encompasses astronomy in her book and in the next post you say it is astrology. Which is it, as they are very different things?

Well, I think whether true or not, great story.

Like the "road movie", the idea of just wandering off and letting the "universe" take care of you probably appeals to many, but most, like me, are too afraid to really do it.

I do wish though, that you would tell us how to live in LOS a long time without lots of money.

Don't know how old you are, but what are you going to do when you're 65 and can't afford health insurance? ( I'll have to go back "home" to the land of welfare ).

^ Who can afford health insurance ?

I saw a group of camels coming over a sand dune. They approached me and one of them handed me a tin of peaches. He then smiled and they left...

Didn't know camels were that clever :)

Yes I caught that, too. Camels (or Bedouins) with canned peaches is rather suspect.

I once did hydroponic mushrooms , fellow that sold them to me forgot to tell me to take half the usual dosage...Was not fun.

Edited by TigerWan

Its certainly an act that shouldn't be spoken about here at thai visa, afterall when you submit the paperwork claiming that's you're savings (as far as im aware there's no provisions for it being borrowed money) :) .

Anyway OP, reading you're story I feel like breaking out one of my old stories from the olden days, because "When I was a boy......" :D

No thanks.

I rather have a nice 9-5 office job in the west with pension, medical care and all kinds of social security. And be safe in my protected environment where nothing can go wrong. It's better to be safe then sorry. I recommend all you guys to do the same thing. Thailand is a huge liability. I recommend you guys to leave. I am speaking from experience. I lost everything.

No thanks.

I rather have a nice 9-5 office job in the west with pension, medical care and all kinds of social security. And be safe in my protected environment where nothing can go wrong. It's better to be safe then sorry. I recommend all you guys to do the same thing. Thailand is a huge liability. I recommend you guys to leave. I am speaking from experience. I lost everything.

You convinced me. Pleae close the door behind...! :)

I am not disputing your story...but a lot of people were similar in nature taking risks and feeling invincible at such a young age. Always smarter than the adults around you.

Then somewhere in time you have to become responisble for others besides yourself. For many like myself this responsibility leads people to change their care free atitidude of only worrying about theirselve. No longer are you actions only affecting you but now others are dependent on your whimsicle nature not to save for a rainy day or disasters that come about. You yourself made mention that you will help others that have tried helping themselves and have faild, being you have the means to help at the time. Well to someone like myself if you are in need and I know that you have been barely making it when you could have tried a bit harder and saved a bit more, I may see you in need one day and say yes I have the means but I do not think he has tried hard enough to prevent or get out of this situation. Just a thought, how somone may view your carefree life when you have a family and you sit and smoke your earnings when there may be another need for the family. Is that responsible living?

Not impressed with your lifes choices but do hope you make the right decisions for your family and can always provide as needed. I call you a marginal person one who will only do what is marginal to get the job done.

Kudos to the OP.

Next time I'm in Bangkok I'll PM you before hand so I can buy you a gin and tonic. And I hope some of that positive attitude rubs off on me :)

I think the more assets you have, the less free you are. Tied down by your possessions.

No thanks.

What makes you think you can't lose everything in the West? A lot of people in the U.S., right now, refuse to believe that things can fall apart. They can. Just because it's America (or the UK, France, Germany, or Netherlands) doesn't mean it can't. Things have already, in fact, fallen apart within a lifetime once before in Europe. America, meanwhile, is coming apart at the seams, although few people notice because they are too busy watching the Super Bowl, the NBA, Stanley Cup and MLB to read the handwriting on the wall. What good is your Social Security when DC has no more authority than a sixth century Roman emperor. Yep, you can lose it all in Thailand, but you can lose it all anywhere. At least in Thailand you're on your guard.

Edited by zydeco

Some wise words.

This Fanta Rood guy; how does he make so much money if he loses so much that easily? Doesn't ad up :)

Can I get your credit card and details before you leave?

No thanks.

What makes you think you can't lose everything in the West? A lot of people in the U.S., right now, refuse to believe that things can fall apart. They can. Just because it's America (or the UK, France, Germany, or Netherlands) doesn't mean it can't. Things have already, in fact, fallen apart within a lifetime once before in Europe. America, meanwhile, is coming apart at the seams, although few people notice because they are too busy watching the Super Bowl, the NBA, Stanley Cup and MLB to read the handwriting on the wall. What good is your Social Security when DC has no more authority than a sixth century Roman emperor. Yep, you can lose it all in Thailand, but you can lose it all anywhere. At least in Thailand you're on your guard.

The OP sounds a lot like my 2nd eldest brother who's just decided to move to Cambodia permanently, having just spent the last 6 months living there. He hasn't had a 'regular' job for years but was lucky enough to be of an age when the government decided that over 50s needn't 'sign on' the dole every week. So he gets his dole money paid into his bank account every week.

The guy has 6 kids (that we know about), all of whom have had to make their own way in life (some of them going through pretty tough times). To mte, the guy is selfish in the extreme!

Would I like his freedom? I have it already, although I live with and take care of my 89 year old mother. Yes, I do feel he could play his part, like the rest of my siblings, but he won't.

I'm not describing the OP here - just sounded a lot like my brother's attitude to life - which has left a lot of unhappy people in its wake.

there is a theory by karl jung about "a causal events", like this one where "some thing tells you" to get off a buss for no reason and then something aamazing happens, and a book about it call "syncronisity" but i cant remember who by; interesting stuff; a sceptic who's never opened thier life or brain might dismiss it as a load of <deleted>, but for people

who have experienced similar thing it could make alot of sense.

although not quite as extreem as your tale i've had many similar expirences. and coincidentally have married and had 2 kids in thailand. i started to ponder how about whats going to be best for my kids and not just myself; basically thinking chance of uk education would be best (even i bumbled along through life and around the world doesnt mean thats nessarcarily what they want) but really didnt fancy going in to the mundane life, one of these fate incidents threw up a chance now and i'm taking it, ; the universe has alligned for my benifit again; all through life event o signposts have , even if i'm not ealise at the time, led through to the good way, lucky.

Things like this and other experience lead me to think of some kind of energy flows and various guides; like the whole world, possably the universe is i full of this energy, like an ocean with many currents and we like the fish can still choose which way to swim, but if we ride the current the journey will be much easier. maybe something to do with magnatism?

I'm not saying you should move back to usa, but for sure you should concider your families prospects, what if u died tomorrow,[ i reckon other people can interupt ones flow like a ruddy great fishing trauller, nothing to do with your own karma, a badman could stab you, and then you rebourn in to a simillar life, not everything in life is from your own karma, karma is being ceated all the time, you could b the victim of someone elses creation of bad], but anyway,,, familly need sumsavings or means like a business or property for rent incase of the worse case sinario, this is my current thinking so we're off to blighty to create an egg.

happy birthday.

b lucky :)

I tend to believe something similar. Good for following your dream, Geronimo. I think we are all given a series of choices and it is what choices we make that determines our outcome. Keeping a positive attitude in the face of adversity is what makes us who we are. I've followed one goal through my entire life and it's to never miss an opportunity to do anything within reason. I have followe that since I was a boy of about 16 and it's given me an interesting, adventurous life. I've been far more stable than you, but I've continually followed my dreams. I can take what appears to be a tragedy and if I think long enough I can find some good in the outcome. Both my marriages ended in divorce, but in each occasion I went on to something better. And, it is still happening. I make general plans but always leave myself open for the unexpected... that always seem to happen... and usually for the better.

Very often I have a disappointment when a planned trip has to be cancelled for some reason. But, a short while later I'm blessed with a different and better trip that wouldn't have happened if the first one had gone on as planned. I have dozens of examples that I won't bore you with. Last year I had a fishing trip planned but was cancelled at the last moment. I was disappointed at the time but by staying home I was there when my water tank burst and I got everything contained without major damage. Had I been away fishing the whole basement would have been flooded.

"I lived in Elat from 1979 until 1982. It seems that would be around the time you were there? And started this trip from Elat to Cairo. Maybe you could tell us something about Elat and which route you were taking by bus to Cairo? Did you head south thru the Sinai or North thru the Negev?"

You gonna reply to this, geronimo?? Thought so.

"I lived in Elat from 1979 until 1982. It seems that would be around the time you were there? And started this trip from Elat to Cairo. Maybe you could tell us something about Elat and which route you were taking by bus to Cairo? Did you head south thru the Sinai or North thru the Negev?"

Excuse me? How could I possibly arrive in Cairo if I went north. Elat is a border town on the Israeli - Egypt Border. Is this a Test??? Actually one of my favourite places in the world is Dahab. I'd like to recommend you spend some time there. It's very laid back.

there is a theory by karl jung about "a causal events", like this one where "some thing tells you" to get off a buss for no reason and then something aamazing happens, and a book about it call "syncronisity" but i cant remember who by; interesting stuff; a sceptic who's never opened thier life or brain might dismiss it as a load of <deleted>, but for people

who have experienced similar thing it could make alot of sense.

although not quite as extreem as your tale i've had many similar expirences. and coincidentally have married and had 2 kids in thailand. i started to ponder how about whats going to be best for my kids and not just myself; basically thinking chance of uk education would be best (even i bumbled along through life and around the world doesnt mean thats nessarcarily what they want) but really didnt fancy going in to the mundane life, one of these fate incidents threw up a chance now and i'm taking it, ; the universe has alligned for my benifit again; all through life event o signposts have , even if i'm not ealise at the time, led through to the good way, lucky.

Things like this and other experience lead me to think of some kind of energy flows and various guides; like the whole world, possably the universe is i full of this energy, like an ocean with many currents and we like the fish can still choose which way to swim, but if we ride the current the journey will be much easier. maybe something to do with magnatism?

I'm not saying you should move back to usa, but for sure you should concider your families prospects, what if u died tomorrow,[ i reckon other people can interupt ones flow like a ruddy great fishing trauller, nothing to do with your own karma, a badman could stab you, and then you rebourn in to a simillar life, not everything in life is from your own karma, karma is being ceated all the time, you could b the victim of someone elses creation of bad], but anyway,,, familly need sumsavings or means like a business or property for rent incase of the worse case sinario, this is my current thinking so we're off to blighty to create an egg.

happy birthday.

b lucky :)

I tend to believe something similar. Good for following your dream, Geronimo. I think we are all given a series of choices and it is what choices we make that determines our outcome. Keeping a positive attitude in the face of adversity is what makes us who we are. I've followed one goal through my entire life and it's to never miss an opportunity to do anything within reason. I have followe that since I was a boy of about 16 and it's given me an interesting, adventurous life. I've been far more stable than you, but I've continually followed my dreams. I can take what appears to be a tragedy and if I think long enough I can find some good in the outcome. Both my marriages ended in divorce, but in each occasion I went on to something better. And, it is still happening. I make general plans but always leave myself open for the unexpected... that always seem to happen... and usually for the better.

Very often I have a disappointment when a planned trip has to be cancelled for some reason. But, a short while later I'm blessed with a different and better trip that wouldn't have happened if the first one had gone on as planned. I have dozens of examples that I won't bore you with. Last year I had a fishing trip planned but was cancelled at the last moment. I was disappointed at the time but by staying home I was there when my water tank burst and I got everything contained without major damage. Had I been away fishing the whole basement would have been flooded.

:D No words from me,"only a big smile and a good feeling reading.

Excuse me? How could I possibly arrive in Cairo if I went north. Elat is a border town on the Israeli - Egypt Border. Is this a Test??? Actually one of my favourite places in the world is Dahab. I'd like to recommend you spend some time there. It's very laid back.

Yes, I guess you could call it a test. I'm courious what route you took to get to Cairo. Israel did not hand back the Sinai to Egypt until 1982 so Elat wasn't really a border town prior to the handover. I have driven many times down as far as Sharm and into the desert to St Katrina monastery. Prior to the turnover I dont think it was possible to cross over into Egypt via the Sinai. Since you didn't specify the exact time you were in Israel that is why I asked if you went to Cairo by first going north thru the Negev then entering Egypt from that direction. I'm not doubting your story, just like to have some more details.

The OP sounds a lot like my 2nd eldest brother who's just decided to move to Cambodia permanently, having just spent the last 6 months living there. He hasn't had a 'regular' job for years but was lucky enough to be of an age when the government decided that over 50s needn't 'sign on' the dole every week. So he gets his dole money paid into his bank account every week.

The guy has 6 kids (that we know about), all of whom have had to make their own way in life (some of them going through pretty tough times). To mte, the guy is selfish in the extreme!

Would I like his freedom? I have it already, although I live with and take care of my 89 year old mother. Yes, I do feel he could play his part, like the rest of my siblings, but he won't.

I'm not describing the OP here - just sounded a lot like my brother's attitude to life - which has left a lot of unhappy people in its wake.

Good on you Joe - for taking care of your Mum in her senior years...I admire you.

To the OP, wow a fantastic and adventureous life you've lived. As a young guy, what an experience to set out and grab life by the ball$ and see the things you did. As a youngish fella myself, I am somewhat built in the same mould (although not nearly to the same extremes). I don't think, however, that I could be the same person when I had responsibilities such as kids, which I don't at the moment...I would want to do my best to provide for them as best I could and ensure they had things which I didn't when I was growing up. All good and well to live the carefree life when in your 20's, but maybe not so good to continue like that in later life if you are a Dad with young ones relying on you....Not criticising you, just my thoughts :)

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday by the way and good health and happiness to you and your family!

Edited by InspectorRex