Notebook Security

Hikage

Hello,

My new position requires me to travel throughout HK, Japan and Thailand. During these travels I will be staying in budget to mid range hotels. I will need to buy a quite powerfull (read expensive) notebook computer to do my work on.

As I will obviously need to leave the notebook in the room from time to time, I am worried it might be lifted by some unscroupulous hotel staff.

What kind of PHYSICAL security mechanisms are available for notebooks and exactly how effective are they? I'd hate to loose thousands of dollars of kit just like that.

Thanks

Edited by Hikage

Kensington lock is the number one.

There will be a small hole about 1.5mm x .5 mm big that the lock fits into. You remove the combination or key its very difficult to remove without trashing tha laptop.

Remember to have a Bios and Hard disk password. The Bios password is a deterrent for the average person who wants to snoop, the Hard Disk password makes the disk useless, unless the password is given. You cannot reset a HDD password even in the factory, you have to replace the controller, and in a Laptop disk its very difficult, even in a proper service centre.

At least if its stolen after the Kensington has been cut off, you will have the satisfaction the thing is just about useless, and some crim is sitting for years trying to figure your passwords.

I know this may be the kiss of death, but I have left my notebook with reception in some of the more "budget minded" places. I was told to ask for a receipt from the desk for the laptop. Those who wouldn't I just shoved the thing over my shoulder and walked around with it.

Thailand, Japan and third H/K are not bad for theft. There are some countries where I wouldn't even leave rubbish in the bin for fear it would be stolen.

For Japan, you can also put it in coin operated locker that can be found at just about every JR train stations in cities, if you are not comfortable with leaving your notebook at the front desk.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really comfortable leaving the device at reception and having to locate a locker every time I leave my room will be inconvenient.

These locks look promising, I guess I just need to make sure my notebook will have the required locking hole.

I guess these locks can be bought at panthip? Do they have the Kensington one, How much is it? Though when I googled Kensington lock a whole heap of security wanings came up. are there any other trusted brands around?

mattnich, I'm suprised you say Thailand is not bad for theft. I would say HK is better, but Japan I cannot say since I've never been but it appears to be less of a problem there. Once bitten.....

Thanks

I guess these locks can be bought at panthip? Do they have the Kensington one, How much is it? Though when I googled Kensington lock a whole heap of security wanings came up. are there any other trusted brands around?

mattnich, I'm suprised you say Thailand is not bad for theft. I would say HK is better, but Japan I cannot say since I've never been but it appears to be less of a problem there. Once bitten.....

I didn't bother to check the brand but yes, I've seen those security locks sold at both Pantip and Fortune. I bought my Targus Defcon 1 at Fortune. And I think I saw Targus security cable locks sold at IT city on the top floor of Pantip. If you look carefully, you'll find most of the notebook computers on display at shops in Thailand (or anywhere else) locked with those security cable locks.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really comfortable leaving the device at reception and having to locate a locker every time I leave my room will be inconvenient.

These locks look promising, I guess I just need to make sure my notebook will have the required locking hole.

I use Kensington MicroSaver: titanium reinforced w/ kevlar lining and lifetime warranty. (about $45 US) It's supposed to be very hard to cut through. See

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:z3qu-...+titanium&hl=en

These locks with cable are useless as far as I can see. I have one and about 10 pounds of force can rip it out of the little laptop hole.

Long story short .... I bought a big safe for my room here in Bkk large enough to hold my laptop.

I know this is not a viable solution for you, but don't think this cable is going to really protect you.

One solution is to switch to one of the smaller (more expensive) but still powerful laptops that would make it easier for you to take with you. And easier to fit into a front desk lock box.

--------------

How do you add a password protect to your hard drive ?

I assume the bios setup can pprotect the bios.

Is that where it is done for the HD ?

These locks with cable are useless as far as I can see. I have one and about 10 pounds of force can rip it out of the little laptop hole.......

Interesting, the lock should attach itself to the chassis of the laptop itself, not the plastic casing, normally where the hard drive is attached, therefore using enough force to remove the lock will wreck the laptop.

Yes, its a "supervisor function" in the Bios, if you don't have a Bios password, then it would be an advanced setting. My tip is to set the Bios and Hard Drive passwords the same, then you only need to input the password one time for booting. Make sure you are careful entering the password and don't forget it, otherwise you will be buying a new HDD.

Interesting, the lock should attach itself to the chassis of the laptop itself, not the plastic casing, normally where the hard drive is attached, therefore using enough force to remove the lock will wreck the laptop.

--------------

Well I have a Compaq Presario V1000, and the lock only attached to the plastic. Was not a solution for me anyway.

I tend to agree with Paulfr, both the attachment points on my Dell are just into the plastic casework, although ripping them out would make the machine unsaleable as it is obviously stolen.

The cables are still a good idea though, they will deter casual theft by hotel staff etc. I don't think you are ever going to secure a laptop against a determined thief.

I too would not leave my machine with reception, usually it will end up in the office, even less secure than in your room.

When you leave your machine in the room, hide it somewhere that you can also use the security cable. Try to be creative.

You should get insurance against theft, you company may even pay for it.

Keep backups of your work files on a USB pen drive and keep the drive separate

from the computer (don't want both to get lifted together do we).

Edited by Crossy

>>>My new position requires me to travel throughout HK, Japan and Thailand. During these travels I will be staying in budget to mid range hotels.<<<

Hikage seems to check-in at the same type of hotels where I would stay. Some interesting things said about laptop security, but to go off topic here, how would one travel to these different countries, and say add Australia, or some country in Europe, and be able to access the internet from this type of room. Odds are there won't be wi-fi. So, for someone who only stays in each location for say two or three months, would you have to get a different internet service provider for each country? Odds are they won't sign you up since you're only short term. You don't want to use an internet cafe, but want to occasionally access your bank or stock brokerage account in the security of your budget hotel room. I don't use the phone in hotels when travelling on vacation, so don't even know if they would charge outlandish rates for even a local call? If anyone answers, please don't get too technical, but I am interested. Hope to be able to do this in retirement.

These locks with cable are useless as far as I can see. I have one and about 10 pounds of force can rip it out of the little laptop hole.

Long story short .... I bought a big safe for my room here in Bkk large enough to hold my laptop.

I know this is not a viable solution for you, but don't think this cable is going to really protect you.

One solution is to switch to one of the smaller (more expensive) but still powerful laptops that would make it easier for you to take with you. And easier to fit into a front desk lock box.

--------------

The cable is meant to be used to prevent casual theft. A determined thief could bust a case open, but the damage, even if the case is plastic, would be fairly excessive and then what would be the point to steal it. On the other hand, the cables on the market do not lock any modular or battery bays. No tools are needed to remove the battery on my Dell unit and with a screwdriver someone could remove the harddrive and the memory.

agreed xyz, not fool proof, but all you can do really short of lugging it everywhere you go.

From what I've read there are two ways of attaching the lock to the notebook. One is to use the present (if any) locking hole, and the other is to glue an attachment on the the side of the device. Apparently the glue on ones are generally stronger... some quoting 1000 pounds of force required to break it.

I might get two locks and lock it twice using both methods.

>>>My new position requires me to travel throughout HK, Japan and Thailand. During these travels I will be staying in budget to mid range hotels.<<<

Hikage seems to check-in at the same type of hotels where I would stay.  Some interesting things said about laptop security, but to go off topic here, how would one travel to these different countries, and say add Australia, or some country in Europe, and be able to access the internet from this type of room.  Odds are there won't be wi-fi.  So, for someone who only stays in each location for say two or three months, would you have to get a different internet service provider for each country?  Odds are they won't sign you up since you're only short term.  You don't want to use an internet cafe, but want to occasionally access your bank or stock brokerage account in the security of your budget hotel room.  I don't use the phone in hotels when travelling on vacation, so don't even know if they would charge outlandish rates for even a local call?  If anyone answers, please don't get too technical, but I am interested.  Hope to be able to do this in retirement.

http://www.outfittersatellite.com/

http://www.outfittersatellite.com/worldphone.htm

Edited by JSixpack

• 3 months later...

I have a solution.. Buy a locking Alum Briefcase.. I got mine off ebay for about $40 USD and they are quite slim and designed for specific laptop sizes.. .. Comes in very handy.. I can lock my laptop, IPOD, Accessories, cell phone and copies of documents cash etc... The case has a combination lock and is padded to protect the contents.. I then use a bicycle cable combination lock to lock it to something immobile like a drain pipe etc... Never had a problem in a mulitude of foreign countries... Provides a nice protective function also.

On a couple of occasions I have handed it to Hotel reception people to keep an eye on it.... Sure a person could cut drill out the pop rivets that hold the hinges on or use a crowbar to pry the case open in which case your screwed but it keeps anyone from ransacking your stuff who is less than a hardened determined criminal. You could probably put some sticker on it in the local language like "UNICEF baby vomit samples" or something equally offensive.

Good luck!!!!!

I actually have the same problem, travelling to Thailand in 2 weeks with my laptop, will be staying in hotel for 2 weeks before I move into my permanent residence , I would be very uncomfortable leaving it in my room no matter how many locks it had on it, the only option would be if the hotel had a large safe that could accomodate a laptop, some do and some don't, must admit I have given this subject a lot of thought and have come up with this

If nobody knows you have a laptop they won't try and steal it so, hide it in your luggage and make sure you have a lockable suitcase, I have never yet had a case broken into in a hotel room, out of sight out of mind. So you need to dump the laptop bag before checking in. I will leave mine with a friend.

Get a good insurance cover that will protect you from theft, OK that on it's own isn't enough for me as the data is worth as much if not more than the machine, so also keep a copy of your critical data on another device such as a second HD, keep this completely serperate from the laptop.....lock this in the hotel safety deposit box, you may also want to consider locking all your Hard drives in there to, as they are usually easily removed from the machine and small, care should be taken with these as they are sensitive to static discharge and shock, a small case or box would be Ideal to store them together, and also observe the "out of sight idea" above

Another idea which is also reasonably inexpensive and perhaps a little over the top, if you don't want to put your laptop in your luggage when travelling which most don't and keep your laptop bag etc, then you can buy an inexpensive old laptop as a dummy, leave this in your hotel room locked with kensington lock and put your real laptop in your suitcase locked, a thief will not try to see if your computer works before stealing it, they will grab and run, the thing they don't know is they grabbed a pile of shiiite while your expensive hardware is locked away safely in your suitecase. I doubt very much they will come back after you have filed police report and started investigation with hotel staff

just some thoughts

Edited by gharknes

I admit to not having fully investigated these cables, but can't they be cut or sawn through using the simplest of tools? What's the point? If they've already gained access to your hotel room what's to prevent them from hacking the cable and lifting your notebook? Insurance is fine and dandy but it won't pay more than 50% of the value of your PC. If you cannot take your PC with you, or secure it on the hotel premises, then at least remove the HDD, and take it with you, and try as best you can to hide the PC in your room. Between the mattress and box-spring sometimes works. Just remember it's there prior to any vigorous mattress activities.

Gharkness - trust me they check locked luggage. I had my camera and mp3 player locked in a suitcase. They fiddled the lock and I came back to my hotel the first nite and my items were all gone. So me and my gf proceeded down to the Police Station and filed a report.

Moral of story - play it safe and lock anything valuable in the hotel safe or safe deposit boxes.

I bought a Kensington lock, but honestly, here in Japan I feel safe enough not to use it (apartment though). In the case of Thailand, especially in hotels, I would buy one of those little motion alarms you see shops use, and use that in combination with a lock.

I admit to not having fully investigated these cables, but can't they be cut or sawn through using the simplest of tools? What's the point? If they've already gained access to your hotel room what's to prevent them from hacking the cable and lifting your notebook? Insurance is fine and dandy but it won't pay more than 50% of the value of your PC. If you cannot take your PC with you, or secure it on the hotel premises, then at least remove the HDD, and take it with you, and try as best you can to hide the PC in your room. Between the mattress and box-spring sometimes works. Just remember it's there prior to any vigorous mattress activities.

It's to stop the opportunistic thief. Unless they know that you have a cable, they are unlikely to be carrying round a large set of bolt cutters with them.

It's 'see-grab-run'.

Besides, being caught with a 2 foot long pair of bolt cutters in someone's hotel room is not going to give much credence to your claims of innocence.

If you leave it in hotel room, It will likely walk and the manager will say it's not hotels fault and that the staff would never steal.

I've being robbed here so often and heard so many stories first hand of money and items walking from rooms.

One time the police said to me never mind when i just had 900Euro of my stuff robbed and that was they all did about it.

One friend just left hotel room for 5 minutes and had 50k walk. i wonder about them wireless cameras being used by bad staff sometimes.

i use a different bag with my laptop so it doesn't attract attention as they are something the scummey peasants like to steal.