Boy Dies As Dengue Outbreak Spreads

george

Boy dies as dengue outbreak spreads

SURAT THANI: -- After hovering between life and death in hospital for six days, the seven-year-old son of Surat Thani MP Sinit Lertkrai died of dengue fever yesterday.

Sittinon Lertkrai, the only son of the Democrat House member, developed a severe fever last Wednesday and was sent to Yupparatviangsa Hospital. He was later transferred to Surat Thani Hospital.

After four days of fever, the boy’s skin broke out in spots. He died of shock early Monday morning, Sinit said.

He is the latest casualty in a dengue-fever flare-up that has health officials worried. Between January and June 4, at least 396 people have contracted dengue fever in Surat Thani, compared to 130 in the same period last year.

In a related development, Disease Control Department officials yesterday sprayed mosquito-killing insecticide in and around a house in Nonthaburi’s Muang district that belongs to the young actress Athima Thanaseneewat, who was hospitalised with dengue fever on Monday.

The actress’s father, Amorn Thanaseneewat, said his daughter and son – who had previously been hospitalised with dengue fever – were both feeling better and receiving treatment at Mayo Hospital. Amorn himself has been told to get regular check-ups because his house is in an area with a record number of infections.

A vaccine is in the third phase of clinical trials and should be available in 2008 or 2009, the minister said.

--The Nation 2005-06-08

My heartfelt condolences go to the family of this latest victim of the dreaded DengueFever.

I cannot imagine the loss, but I can relate in some small way as I too have a young son of seven, as well as a daughter of nine, and while I am away here in Australia, there is little I can do to try to ensure the safety of my family other than to call them in Bangkok and give them whatever advice I can to try to make them take whatever measures and use whatever safeguards they can to avoid exposure, and of course to pray that they will remain safe.

I hope this crisis can be dealt with in a way that may at least save lives and hopefully prevent more tragedies like this.

The death of a child is the most awful thing that could ever happen in any family; we hope against hope that there will be no more...it is the destruction of dreams and future promise...

Edited by Greer