Call From The Embassy

My partner got a call from the embassy yesterday saying all the documentation looks fine, they just wanted a letter from myself explaining why I have obtained a UK passport for my son but not a UK birth certificate...I have written the explanation letter and about to send it by fax to the embassy.

According to my partner the representative on the phone told her when the documents have been received she will be given a decision in one day.

Anybody else had this sort of scenario? Does it sound promising?

Regards

Hi. Can you let me know if that was for a settlement visa? Also, when did you apply? It's just that I also provided copies of my son's passport, along with his Thai birth certificate and a translation. I also have not got an English-style birth certificate, as it was about 10,000 baht, and I figured I could just do it later. What reason did you give them on your letter? I guess I will be getting a call too then....

S4161,

That they phoned and asked for this shows that they are minded to grant the visa, otherwise they would have just refused.

Cowman1, if asked this question I would simply point them to the advice on the embassy website

Birth registration is not compulsory
although, as the embassy say, it is recommended, and give the reason for not doing so as you have here. (Although I'm not sure if you can do it later once in the UK, does anyone know?)

I don't understand why they have asked this; the child is British as evidenced by their passport. However, I would suggest that anyone in a similar position makes a note in their sponsor's letter to say why they have not done so.

Hi. Can you let me know if that was for a settlement visa? Also, when did you apply? It's just that I also provided copies of my son's passport, along with his Thai birth certificate and a translation. I also have not got an English-style birth certificate, as it was about 10,000 baht, and I figured I could just do it later. What reason did you give them on your letter? I guess I will be getting a call too then....

Well i just had a devil of a job sending the document by fax, in the end i rang the embassy and they said i could send it by email.

Cowman1: This application is for a 6 month tourist visa. My partner applied last wednesday. I didnt get the birth certificate for the same reason as you, basically its alot of money for something we dont need right now, a UK passport is sufficent for my son to come and visit me on hoilday. I explained in the letter that i was at university and until i graduate , my son will be living in thailand and a UK passport is sufficent for our needs at present. I also added that I intend to register his birth in Bangkok at Xmas time.

hope this helps

I'll let you know how it goes

Edited by S4161

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will just have to wait and see if they need more information. I am also a bit puzzled as to why they need this information. If I am successful in obtaining the visa, this is another thing I am unsure about. Can I just take my son's Thai birth certificate (with a certified translation) back to the UK with me, without the need to get him an official UK cert. here? Are there any advantages to having it, or can I just sort things out back in the Uk without it? I can pay the 10,000 baht if needs be, but if it is not essential I would rather put that money towards something else. Thanks if anyone can shed some light on this!

Edited by cowman1

Perhaps I am missing something but the son would not need a visa so why is there an issue of whether he has or does not have a UK birth certificate ?

I know? It is still baffling me.

Perhaps I am missing something but the son would not need a visa so why is there an issue of whether he has or does not have a UK birth certificate ?

I am going to get my missus on the UK passport trail and start settlement and I can see them asking me that dumb question as well because I didn't bother giving them what was, at the time, quite a lot more money than now. The amounts when mine was born were around 14,000 or so and it was just ridiculous. My daughter has UK and Thai passports and they have on some scanned system somewhere her original Thai birth certificate and presumably the MFA certified copy. I could cobble together a UK style birth certificate on Photoshop and it would have as much legal validity in Thailand as their one, i.e. none.

I am going to get my missus on the UK passport trail and start settlement and I can see them asking me that dumb question as well because I didn't bother giving them what was, at the time, quite a lot more money than now. The amounts when mine was born were around 14,000 or so and it was just ridiculous. My daughter has UK and Thai passports and they have on some scanned system somewhere her original Thai birth certificate and presumably the MFA certified copy. I could cobble together a UK style birth certificate on Photoshop and it would have as much legal validity in Thailand as their one, i.e. none.

I have just been looking into getting a birth certificate for my son in the UK if he comes this summer. It says on the FCO website that it is not essential for a child born overseas to have a british style consular birth certificate, they can have just a passport alone no problem so its still baffling me why they would ask me this question?

I have even checked with the NHS if it affects his eligibilty for healthcare in the UK if he does not have a birth certificate and they said a passport was enough evidence of his nationality.

We havent heard anything back from the embassy today so I presume hey received my letter and are making the decision,

Fingers crossed!

I could cobble together a UK style birth certificate on Photoshop and it would have as much legal validity in Thailand as their one, i.e. none.

Presenting a government department with a forged official document, good idea: not!

I am no expert in Thai law, far from it, but I suspect that a British birth certificate has the same legal validity in Thailand that a Thai birth certificate has in the UK; i.e. lots!

As said, although having a British style birth certificate and a record of the birth held at the GRO in the UK is recommended as it may prove useful to the child in later life; it is not compulsory.

My daughter only has a Thai birth certificate and this has been accepted in the Uk for child benefit purposes without translation! Very strange question for them to ask!

This is great news. I will save myself the 10,000 baht then, and just take the passport and birth certificate.

My daughter only has a Thai birth certificate and this has been accepted in the Uk for child benefit purposes without translation! Very strange question for them to ask!

That's because all UK Government Departments now do their own translations.

Still heard nothing from the embassy. Has anyone used this SMS system, according to the website, they are suppoed to send you a few SMS's and emails to tell you the status of your application.???

Still heard nothing from the embassy. Has anyone used this SMS system, according to the website, they are suppoed to send you a few SMS's and emails to tell you the status of your application.???

Unless things have changed recently you should get an SMS to confirm the application has been sent to the Embassy then a second one to say the passport is available for collection, but unfortunately, nothing in between.

Unless things have changed recently you should get an SMS to confirm the application has been sent to the Embassy then a second one to say the passport is available for collection, but unfortunately, nothing in between.

Just got an SMS today saying application has been processed and sent via courier, only buddah knows now!