English Movie Shops

Amadeus

Hi,

I'm looking for somewhere ( the best place, if possible) in BKK for movies and cinephiles like I am. I'm not talking about mainstream new movies, but classic movies in English, such as Stanley Kubrick's, masterpieces, classics, etc.

Anyone has good addresses ?

Thanks in adance !

- Amadeus

Try CD Warehouse at Emporium, Deco Home at Emporium (small but weird selection), and DVD Station inside Chidlom BTS station. DVD Station can order anything you want, but lately they seem to be moving towards Korean and Chinese movies.

Try CD Warehouse at Emporium, Deco Home at Emporium (small but weird selection), and DVD Station inside Chidlom BTS station. DVD Station can order anything you want, but lately they seem to be moving towards Korean and Chinese movies.

I went to Childom stn shops few hours back. They have FMJ, Lolita and Shining frm Kubrick.. priced at 1030-1200 bhat. Nice collection.. but I couldnt find what I wanted... some colleagues of mine recommended to go to Fashion Island.. Somewhere in outskirts I guess.... for DVD9 with the best available collection and quality in Bangkok... anyone hv any better idea and experience???

Fortune towers on Ratchadapisek Road has excellent quality dvds at 180 baht a go, not sure what there Kubrick selection is like as have not popped up there for a while, but a good selection of older classics (heburn/chaplin films), foreign language films (not just Asian but a lot of European as well) as well as the lower budget indie film (Kids etc.).

Not all the shops have them but just hunt around there and your'll find some good places.

Actually thinking about it, sure I saw 2001: A Space Oddysey (spel?) up there last time I went.

some colleagues of mine recommended to go to Fashion Island.. Somewhere in outskirts I guess.... for DVD9 with the best available collection and quality in Bangkok... anyone hv any better idea and experience???

This sounds like the pirate stuff. As a movie buff, I prefer to buy the real thing - but I seem to be in the minority!

This sounds like the pirate stuff. As a movie buff, I prefer to buy the real thing - but I seem to be in the minority!

A pity if true, buying illegal copies is something not done by true movie lovers IMO. You can argue that many thai's have no option due t the price but hardly for falangs. The arguments in favour usually say 'everyone does it' or 'prices of genuine are a rip off' both excuses. If you cannot afford genuine DVD's then save up, or buy the VCD version if available.-peter

Piracy is theft. Don't support those crooks. They've already put too many legitimate firms here out of business.

Browse Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk and you'll find they can mail you anything you might want. For sheer convenience it's hard to beat.

Browse Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk and you'll find they can mail you anything you might want. For sheer convenience it's hard to beat.

I used to buy DVDs from Amazon.com thinking it's cheaper than buying it locally and well worth the freight if I buy 5 or more pieces, but found I was taxed B200 for every piece imported so now I buy mostly at DVD station inside BTS Chidlom station Camerata mentioned. Their sticker price is cheaper than any other stores I know yet the owner always gives me 10 - 15% discount from the sticker price. And they are very fast to import new titles. I bought Fahrenheit 911 at DVD station last year almost at the same time it was released it US.

Never paid duty on books and CDs shipped from overseas though.

I agree with whoever said fashion island, definitely the best selection i've seen. It has alot of the older movies which i haven't seen anywhere else.

Fashion island is on Ram inthra, about Kilo 10. The cd shops are on the first floor at the far end near Big C.

Amazon now seems to be using a local courier company for distribution. For some strange reason, this doesn't attract any tax on sizeable shipments sent by regular international airmail. This began late last year.

This only applies to Amazon.com, not the UK or other affiliates.

I've no idea why this is, but I'm not complaining.

DVD Station sounds legitimate and I'm very much in favour of supporting honest local dealers. Wish the rental outlets such as Tsutaya had a better selection.

Did anybody notice cheaper but legitimate region code 3 DVD picture and sound quallity to be lower than region 1 or 2 DVD? Once I bought region 3 "Mystic River" at DVD station as I wasn't willing to pay B900 or up for a title I've never seen before and thus didn't know if I'll like, but was very disappointed and regretted the poor picture quality.

Owner of the shop next to Jam Session in Central World Plaza DJ pat mentioned told me region code 2 picture quality to be the highest for any same title DVDs (and thus most expensive). Is that true? Does region code make any difference to picture/sound quality??

Edited by Nordlys

Did anybody notice cheaper but legitimate region code 3 DVD picture and sound quallity to be lower than region 1 or 2 DVD?  Once I bought region 3 "Mystic River" at DVD station as I wasn't willing to pay B900 or up for a title I've never seen before and thus didn't know if I'll like, but was very disappointed and regretted the poor picture quality. 

Owner of the shop next to Jam Session in Central World Plaza DJ pat mentioned told me region code 2 picture quality to be the highest for any same title DVDs (and thus most expensive).  Is that true?  Does region code make any difference to picture/sound quality??

Any legit dvd, manufactured in asian countries will have a very bad quality compared to the pirated stuff available for 100-200 bhat frm my experience so far... better buy pirated than going for dvd 3...

Region 2 DVD releases are PAL (525 lines of resolution) whereas Regions 1 and 3 are NTSC (480 lines). PAL is generally recognised as being the best colour format.

Region 2 releases use DTS soundtracks more frequently than Zones 1 and 3 and often have more extras. The downside is that occasionally they use more compression and the selection isn't as comprehensive.

I'd rate Region 2 the best-looking and sounding followed by Regions 4, 1 and 3. Region 1 seems to have the biggest selection and Region 3 the smallest.