Mailing Mobile Phone To Thailand

ShaunJon

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand didn't have the latest model (Nokia 6620). Thats why I sent one from the U.S.

It's probably MADE in Thailand

Sorry, the 6620 I strongly doubt is 200 bucks (when new), anyway you probably find a new NOKIA first in Thailand than in the US .....

The 6620 is already old, they have in Bangkok from the "stone age"

take it easy, US market is a follower due to the weak US$ which is making the market unattractive, Japanese manufacturers (and Europeans - Nokia is Finnish) prefer Asia.

First markets to receive new goods are:

Japan

HK

Singapore

and from Singapore is very easy to get into Malaysia and Thailand, much faster than getting into Williamsport 21795 in Maryland!!

cheers

Edited by duke69

I sent it using air mail. I think it might take a little longer because of the customs.

One thing you should never lose is hope.... :D One thing you have probably lost is that phone... :D

Never mind..... treat it as a learning experince, allbeit an expensive one... :o

totster :D

:D

Shaun you be lucky if your relative receive the handphone.

Most of the times my letters to Chiangmai gone missing, blame it on me sometimes I slipped a few hundreds baht in between the letters for the kid.

Worst still, even small cartoon stickers for kids never reach the address, even if the birthdays and greeting cards gone missing if they looked elaborate and pricey. :o

Considering the recent crackdown on cellphones in Thailand- the customs department Xray guys probably had kittens when they saw a cellphone in a box sent by regular airmail.

You can probably count on them opening it... for safety reasons... and then probably count on them keeping it if they like it since it is unregistered mail and there is no recourse.

If they do decide to forward it to the recipient, there will definitely be steep fees to pay.

As a matter of interest, did you check to make sure you had sent one that is GSM, not the American system (mental block - can't remember what it's called) as the two are not compatible? Also what band it works on - we have to get tri-band phones here to work in those areas of the USA that have GSM available (not all areas do).

As a matter of interest, did you check to make sure you had sent one that is GSM, not the American system (mental block - can't remember what it's called) as the two are not compatible? Also what band it works on - we have to get tri-band phones here to work in those areas of the USA that have GSM available (not all areas do).

I'm sure the latest Nokia would be tri-band

totster :o

Yes you may be right totster...once upon a time it was quite difficult to buy them for a reasonable price. But the big thing is that they are GSM, otherwise of course they will not work in LOS.

Having said that, what's the Hutch system? Is it GSM as well, or not - it may be the odd one out that is not GSM? Anyone know?

Edited by Greer

Yes you may be right totster...once upon a time it was quite difficult to buy them for a reasonable price. But the big thing is that they are GSM, otherwise of course they will not work in LOS.

Having said that, what's the Hutch system? Is it GSM as well, or not - it may be the odd one out that is not GSM? Anyone know?

As far as I am aware all of the networks in Thialand are GSM... the difference may be the frequency. The two frequencies used worldwide are 900MHz and 1800MHz. The odd one out of course is the USA which uses 1900MHz, which is why a Tri-band handset is needed.

totster :o

The one I sent was unlocked, and it is compatable with Thai network.

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6620/0,2803,feat:1,00.html

ShaunJon,

$200/8000bt is dirt cheap for a phone with those specs.

Was it new and where can you buy online for $200?

Nearest spec is 6230 & 6230i for around 13000bt in HK., unless the price has dropped in LoS. :o

Considering the recent crackdown on cellphones in Thailand- the customs department Xray guys probably had kittens when they saw a cellphone in a box sent by regular airmail.

You can probably count on them opening it... for safety reasons... and then probably count on them keeping it if they like it since it is unregistered mail and there is no recourse.

This is the real problem. If you're sending it legit, then you have to fill out a customs form (esp. if from the US or UK). If the customs form says cell phone, then it's probability of disappearing would seem high. And if the customs form says something else, then perhaps it raises suspicion to the point of having to x-ray or open.

I can't fault the mail, at least yet (knock on wood). I've sent many parcels from abroad, completed the customs forms legit, and have not yet had any problems. From the states, figure on 2-3 weeks, and from the UK about 7-10 days.

If you're trying to send it to someone whom you trust, then it is probably easier to wire the money and let them buy it locally.

{okay, I'm done pontificating now ... :o }

With the recent crackdown on terrorist related uses of the mobile phone ( sim cards must be registered) your phone is probably now in a padded room, surrounded by communications experts, explosive experts and terrorist experts from all over the world wondering why someone would send a mobile phone to a country where there is a dozen mobile phone shops in every Soi. ( or they certainly should be examining it) No doubt within time a knock will come on your door, and you will be hauled away to answer numerous questions on why you had this particular piece of technology sent. And I do not mean this as a joke. In this day and age, and with the crack down, the only way a true terrorist could get a doctored phone to Thailand without bringing it through himself, is by mail. Or stealing one.

ShaunJon,

$200/8000bt is dirt cheap for a phone with those specs.

Was it new and where can you buy online for $200?

Nearest spec is 6230 & 6230i for around 13000bt in HK., unless the price has dropped in LoS. :o

Yes, it's brand new. www.ebay.com

Edited by ShaunJon