Retiring To Thailand

Jeepz

I'm looking at retiring in Thailand, at least for a long stay, if not permanently. I expect to have roughly 80,000 to 100,000 baht a month income at that point. Taxes will have to paid, my health insurance is 10,000 baht a month, but good in Thailand so I will keep it.

Is that going to be enough to live comfortably in Chiang Mai or BKK? I'm not looking for a top flight lifestyle, but I don't want to live in hole in the wall or run into myself when I turn around. So a decent apartment, a car, cable, phone, internet (broadband if possible). Movies/entertainment and dinner out two or three nights a week.

Good books and cooking are my hobbies, maybe a bit of skeet or trap shooting if that is allowed. So a nice kitchen and access to a good bookstore is kind of fundamental.

That sound feasible to you folks that live there now? Or do I need to work longer/save more? :o

Jeepz

80,000 to 100,000 baht a month income at that point

with that kind cash you can live very comfortable life-style in thailand, with a very nice condo on the beach, all utility, and a car to get around, couple of maid if needed :o , and you can also have 2 or 3 young beauty running around the house naked :D

I rented on the north edge of Chiang Mai,not right down town,in a gated community a 2 story almost new 3 bdrm 2 bath with den on a large fenced lot,large living room, large kitchen and dining room,I think 240 sq.m. for 6000 a month lease.

But I don't think skeet shooting in the kitchen would have been allowed,and the geckos were that bad either.

But with the money that you speak of is plenty.the 65000 that they require is more than enough.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. That sounds very encouraging.

######: I won't say I'm planning to be a monk, but I don't see myself spending a lot of time with bar girls. I'm looking to move to Chiang Mai, not Pattaya. :o

tomy: Sounds good, but actually I doubt I'd get any cooking done then. Can they leave their clothes on? :D

bankok bob & Nam Kao: I have heard I can purchase it cheaper there, but this insurance is good anywhere in the world. If I move back to the states at some point, I'd still be covered there. It is priced at the going rate here in the states, actually a bit cheap since I get something of a discount through my employer. I will probably stick with it. Chiang Mai and & BKK both have hospitals that are associated with it, so I don't have to "pay up front" if I have to go in.

Thetyim: Good point about the imported food aspect. Time will tell. Thai food tastes good, but I wimp out when it gets really hot.

KevinN: Gee, sounds like you have a great place for the right kind of money. I had envisioned it setting me back someplace in the 10,000 - 20,000 baht area for a place to hang my hat. I may be able to save a bit there. Yes, I agree ... No skeet shooting in the kitchen! B)

Again, thanks to everyone for the replies. I do appreciate your time and expertise.

I did mention, but perhaps not too plainly, that taxes (US and/or Thai) will have to come out of that as well.

Jeepz

And.................? :D

Chiang Mai doesn't have quite the reputation that Pattaya does in terms of lounge lizard revelry. :o

I did mention BKK as a possible location to move to. But I was a bit lazy there. I'd probably be more likely to head somewhere like Hua Hin than live in BKK proper. BKK and Chiang Mai both have hospital/medical services that are tied to my current health insurance. Something you consider when you are over fifty. Or at least I do.

Jeepz

Something you consider when you are over fifty

Bangkok, bad idea, at your age you need fresh air, bangkok will not give you that, you have to go to oxygen bar to get some fresh air, try phuket, next to the beach or something more relaxing than city life :o

Thetyim: Northwest USA at the moment and for the next year or two. Twenty nine years working and I'm down to the last couple. Well, unless I stick around for a few extra. That's what I'm penciling out now. :o

tomy: You are quite correct. BKK would be a very bad choice for me. I haven't got any place carved in stone at this point. I'll look around, but my limited vacation time while still working does sort of put a damper on it.

Oh and the health insurance thing, once I let the current one go, I can't get it back, so I'm very leery of doing that.

p.s. Begs: Nothing against Pattaya at all, just not what I'm looking for when I put my feet up.

Jeepz

Oh and the health insurance thing, once I let the current one go, I can't get it back, so I'm very leery of doing that.

I agree. Keep it until you are very sure you can get insurance that will not be canceled at age 65 (or for other reasons) and you have been here long enough to be sure it will be a lifetime move. I have not checked but did see costs posted once and there was nothing above that age listed (when you need it most).