Can I Bring In An Unboxed Gps Without Paying Duties?

cat5

I'd like to take a brand new unboxed Garmin GPS unit to Thailand, arriving at Suwannapoom Airport. The unit costs less than 5,000 baht when purchased outside of Thailand. Will there be any problems at customs or will I have to bring it in unboxed and "used"? Are there any set limits for electronic gifts like this?

Hope someone can advise.

Would yo have to pay to bring your phone or camera or mp3 player or Ipad or pod :)

all of them cost more than 5000

No

:D

Edited by Slaps

Sorry, I meant to say bring a *boxed* item into the country. As it would be brand new, boxed and sealed, I was thinking that customs might think I was bringing it in for resale.

Sorry, I meant to say bring a *boxed* item into the country. As it would be brand new, boxed and sealed, I was thinking that customs might think I was bringing it in for resale.

don't temp thai customs to mess with you. not worth the worry or possible hassel

Why would you WANT to bring a boxed and sealed GPS into Thailand if it WASN'T for resale?

If it is a gift then you could always explain to the receiver why you took it out of the box. I bring all sorts of expensive toys into Thailand: cameras, laptop, GPS, fishing tackle, etc. But, I always go home with them as well. I've never had any problem.