V.e. Day 8th May

millwall_fan

today is the 65th Anniversary of the final victory in Europe by Allied forces over the nazis.

to celebrate this day, there will be a sing a long this evening at The Olde Bell. British Pub, Loi Kroh Rd, starting at around 8pm. Songs from the war years will feature, together with a few excerpts from Churchills speeches.

There'll also be a FREE buffet for customers.

All Welcome!

Can't be to many people going about Chiang Mai that can remember the WW2. You would have to be 75 years old or more :)

In a place like Chiang Mai there are more than you might think who do remember it, anyway, you don't have to have lived through the war to want to celebrate the liberation of our mums and dads etc!

Can't be to many people going about Chiang Mai that can remember the WW2. You would have to be 75 years old or more :)

In a place like Chiang Mai there are more than you might think who do remember it, anyway, you don't have to have lived through the war to want to celebrate the liberation of our mums and dads etc!

Well said Millwall, I arrived a year or so after VE Day but:

"...at the going down of the sun and in the morning, we shall remember them".

Sorry, cannot be at the sing-song tonight so blast our a chorus of Land of Hope and Glory for me.

Sorry, cannot be at the sing-song tonight so blast our a chorus of Land of Hope and Glory for me.

We'll certainly do that Rohitsuk!

and seeing you quoted the Act of Remembrance, you may be interested to know that the Chiang Mai branch of the Royal British Legion meets at The Olde Bell on the first and 3rd Wednesday of the Month.

When you go home

Think of us and say,

For your tomorrow, we gave our today

Kohima Epitaph

Some of us from the 50s & 60s remember our Dads and Uncles talking about their WWII experiences. Hats of to all the WWII vets!

We'll certainly do that Rohitsuk!

and seeing you quoted the Act of Remembrance, you may be interested to know that the Chiang Mai branch of the Royal British Legion meets at The Olde Bell on the first and 3rd Wednesday of the Month.

When you go home

Think of us and say,

For your tomorrow, we gave our today

Kohima Epitaph

Don't forget to sing " God Bless America"

Its days like these that make me very proud of my Mam and Dad who where both in the services in WW2

Lest we forget.

Agree to that and best wishes to all the ladies and gents at the old bell...wish...maybe next time....

Re: Lest we forget...............We will never forget :)

My Dad said; that if he could have seen how much England was going to change 50 years into the future, he would have thrown down his gun and gone to fight for the Germans.

post-96287-1273347348_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigWheelMan

My grandfather mum's side was killed just after Market Garden started in 44 and is buried in Holland. My grandmother received the news of his death by telegram. She had 3 young kids at the time. My mum remembers the screeching of doodlebugs before they hit something solid. large numbers of Canadian troops were camped near her home before D-day; all left for France, but only God knows how many returned to their homes.

My grandfather dad's side lost his business and received serious injuries as a RAF mechanic during the war. When he was still alive he told me one of his jobs was to strap in Spitfire and Hurricane fighter pilots before they took off to intercept German fighters and bombers. They knew what their life expectancy was. Many would be physically shaking and some were sick as he strapped them in to their seats. Their actions saved my country. Facing death when you know the risks is bravery beyond words.

So many heroes.

Edited by Loaded

My mum remembers the screeching of doodlebugs before they hit something solid.

Maybe you lost something in the translation. "Buzz bombs" or V1/Doodlebugs, sounded like badly tuned lawn mowers. The V2's were the ones that screamed as they were travelling faster than mach III.

Well we had a good night. Sang a few of the old songs: Lili Marlene, It's a Long Way to Tipperary, White Cliffs of Dover, Etc. Enjoyed a buffet and a few of the very same yarns about our mums and dads experiences. All in all a worthwhile experience in this corner of a foreign field that is.....etc etc.

no one present felt their mums or dads would have fought for the Germans if they'd seen Britian today. I respect your personal view bigwheelman, but fortunately most Brits of my acquiantance still appreciate the old country, warts and all!..even if we don't want to actually live there!

My grandfather mum's side was killed just after Market Garden started in 44 and is buried in Holland. My grandmother received the news of his death by telegram. She had 3 young kids at the time. My mum remembers the screeching of doodlebugs before they hit something solid. large numbers of Canadian troops were camped near her home before D-day; all left for France, but only God knows how many returned to their homes.

My grandfather dad's side lost his business and received serious injuries as a RAF mechanic during the war. When he was still alive he told me one of his jobs was to strap in Spitfire and Hurricane fighter pilots before they took off to intercept German fighters and bombers. They knew what their life expectancy was. Many would be physically shaking and some were sick as he strapped them in to their seats. Their actions saved my country. Facing death when you know the risks is bravery beyond words.

So many heroes.

Im lucky to be too young to have experienced war in Britain. But the after effects were lasting. My grandmother too lost her husband, and she raised two children on her own. Her brothers had gone to war also, and one came back a "hero"..sadly, mentally he never fully recovered and was in and out of mental wards. He also had his trigger finger lopped off. Part of the constant reminder for him. War in my opinion is never glorious, but i am so very very grateful that so many people bravely fought against the pure evil of Hitler. I dont even want to imagine how the world could have shaped if we had not been successful.