US Assistant Secretary Of State Campbell Meets Red-Shirts Protesters

Campbell meets key protesters

By THANONG KHANTHONG

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- US Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell Sunday met with red-shirt protesters before applauding Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's road map, unveiled last week as a peaceful way to end the country's politi-cal turmoil.

Campbell met key figures from the opposition such as Pongthep Thepkanjana, Chaturon Chaisaeng and Noppadon Pattama. Pongthep and Chaturon are former Cabinet ministers banned from politics for five years under a court order, while Noppadon is a lawyer who is now spokesman for the Shinawatra family.

"More than 10 Democrats were also invited to attend the breakfast meeting, but none of them went. Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya and government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn also declined the invitation," a political source said.

Campbell said he came to Bangkok not to mediate a break-through or back any outcome.

"Even though Thailand is going through a difficult period, there is reason to be encour-aged by efforts from all sides to bridge the differences between the government and the UDD (DAAD) protesters and to negoti-ate a fair and endurable compromise," he said.

"We strongly welcome the PM's road map for national reconciliation and commitment for holding new elections. We're also encouraged by the UDD's positive response to the road map and hope that its leaders will seize this opportunity to responsibly and expeditiously lead Thailand out of its current predicament."

Campbell's statement reflects Washington's support for the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD)'s campaign. Missing from his speech was any mention of the US position in regard to armed elements within the red shirts, which have been battling the Abhisit government and blamed for recent violence in Bangkok.

"Restraint and foresight are critical for both sides at this time. However, it must be said that we remain cautious about progress as those who don't want peace or political progress continue to employ violence as a means to undermine resolution of political differences, like the unfortunate shooting on Friday night that resulted in a loss of lives," he said.

"In addition to those injured directly, political violence dam-ages the reputation of the nation, undermines democratic institutions and legal mechanisms for dispute resolution. We call on both sides to urge restraint and to firmly commit to a process of peaceful reconciliation in support of the rule of law and the pursuit of a just and democratic outcome."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US government has a long time rule never to discuss or negotiate with terrorists. So why is the assistant secretary of state making an exception now? Is it because these terrorists are not threatening the US? Not only Thailand has double standards.

"More than 10 Democrats were also invited to attend the breakfast meeting, but none of them went. Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya and government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn also declined the invitation," a political source said.

What was their excuse? Horse too high? Too dangerous to climb down from the horse? :)

Is USA backing the red terrorists? Send this guy back home to US immediately. He was not officially invited, and should not go here to meet with the terrorists.

The US government has a long time rule never to discuss or negotiate with terrorists. So why is the assistant secretary of state making an exception now? Is it because these terrorists are not threatening the US? Not only Thailand has double standards.

Or because they're not terrorists and the US government is able to see through the political circus and the political witch hunt? :)

What a hypocrite! I can't believe the guy would even talk to these red terrorists.

Hmm ...3 anonymous forum posts claiming the red shirts are terrorists. US Assistant Secretary of State seems to think otherwise. Hmm, who should I believe. Who's more credible ...hmmm, such a tough question! :)

What a hypocrite! I can't believe the guy would even talk to these red terrorists.

Hmm ...3 anonymous forum posts claiming the red shirts are terrorists. US Assistant Secretary of State seems to think otherwise. Hmm, who should I believe. Who's more credible ...hmmm, such a tough question! :)

Yeah you figured it out. It's a yellow conspiracy. Good job.

Campbell said he came to Bangkok not to mediate a break-through or back any outcome.

So why was he there? The report does not say if he was ordered to come. If he wasn't, he was colluding with named terrorists, and subject to US laws.

Now, who could that political source have been, I wonder, I wonder......

Well, if Abhisit is willing to make them an offer (and a good one at that, but Nooooooooooooooooo, not good enough) then I am OK with my government trying to encourage a peaceful solution.

Unlike under Bush, the current people in power in Washington D.C. are decent, reasonable people. The Americans that do care about Thailand, and even for those who don't, good relations and a PEACEFUL Thailand are in the US national interest. Asia in general is very important the US foreign policy, and Thailand is a very important part of SE Asia.

Edited by Jingthing

Absolutely agree

They should not contact those Terrorists and legitimize them besides when the US involve themselves things usually go really wrong see Afghanistan see Iraq see Israel and before Vietnam - Korea -

Winston Churchill once said that jaw jaw is better than war war, seems funny that the reds will meet with someone that wants to talk with no real agenda but the yellows turn it down.

And I am not not a red or a yellow, just an observer.

So why was he there? The report does not say if he was ordered to come. If he wasn't, he was colluding with named terrorists, and subject to US laws.

Named terrorists? The only one who was named a terrorist was Seh Daeng. I don't think he was at the meeting.

It's actually very easy, never believe anything the US says or does. This is a very clumsy attempt and against official US policy which clearly states No deals with Terrorists - this kind of thing only gives guys like you, obviously a Terrorist supporter some kind of feeling of legitimacy which is totally wrong.

Seems he was meeting with TRT banned and PTP and Thaksin spokesman.

Essentially Team Thaksin above the redshirt leaders.

Maybe delivering a quiet word....

Or establishing a good relationship with the possibly next government of Thailand? It's never too early to start positive diplomatic relations :)

I think he was just here to catch a flight after returning from Burma. Since the foreign minister and several Dems were also invited, the meeting was clearly not under the table but perhaps not to their liking as they didn't show up.

The Embassy had said much earlier that they were "talking to all sides at all levels", but added that talking to the reds and having the reds listen were two different things.

Or establishing a good relationship with the possibly next government of Thailand? It's never too early to start positive diplomatic relations :)

Don't get your hopes up ... remember the bay of pigs .... the US have never performed well in foreign politics and this guy was most likely acting on his own and I hope he will get a slap when he gets back.

Edited by Herm

maybe check out the asiatimes online article by Shawn Crispin it lays a how the USA may be involved.

Interesting article. The US seems to have their dirty paws on everything. They should stay out of it.

Disclaimer:

I'm American.

Hmm ...3 anonymous forum posts claiming the red shirts are terrorists. US Assistant Secretary of State seems to think otherwise. Hmm, who should I believe. Who's more credible ...hmmm, such a tough question! :D

It's actually very easy, never believe anything the US says or does. This is a very clumsy attempt and against official US policy which clearly states No deals with Terrorists - this kind of thing only gives guys like you, obviously a Terrorist supporter some kind of feeling of legitimacy which is totally wrong.

Good point, if the US has so far not been willing to talk with Che, I guess that makes him illegitimate, or at least have feelings of illegitimacy. :)

Edited by rabo

Be a bit firkin daft NOT to talk to the reds, considering many/most people think that they would win an election right now.

They haven't won anything yet. Until they do, the US has no business getting involved.

Be a bit firkin daft NOT to talk to the reds, considering many/most people think that they would win an election right now.

May be your maid thinks so, but certainly not the majority of Thais

May be your maid thinks so, but certainly not the majority of Thais

:)

They haven't won anything yet. Until they do, the US has no business getting involved.

You should go to the US Embassy first thing tomorrow morning and lodge a formal complaint. I'm sure your opinion will make them change their mind :)