US Assistant Secretary Of State Campbell Meets Red-Shirts Protesters

webfact

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...Campbell's statement reflects Washington's support for the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD)'s campaign..."

This above quote is DEEPLY DISTURBING.... and when I read his quotes, he is just a mouthpiece... and an ill-informed one at that.... Now this behavior gives the U.S. a very very very bad name.... Sorry folks... I do not support this interfering!

With the US being the world leading expert on terrorism, doesn't this effectively clear the UDD of any silly terrorism charges? :) Seriously, though. I'd like to see the evidence that the government has. So far there has been no proof whatsoever that the red shirts are behind the police killings or the grenade attacks. Yes, the police have presented grenade launchers and ammunition allegedly seized from red shirt protesters ...but where is the evidence that these items really came from the possession of red shirt demonstrators?

The US government has a long time rule never to discuss or negotiate with terrorists. So why is the assistant secretary of state making an exception now? Is it because these terrorists are not threatening the US? Not only Thailand has double standards.

\\

Amen and amen! My brother, who still lives in the states, has been trying to tell me what a disaster this administration is. Now it does this! On behalf of Americans, I apologize for my indescribably stupid government's actions!

I second that on the apology.

Bush really made almost kind of a lifestyle out of the word "terrorist", didn't he? Pushed it so deep into some people's heads that it's hard to get out. "Either you're with us or you're a terrorist!" Ordinary Americans should be apologizing to the rest of the world for people that think that way, not the other way around. Can't believe some people are still stuck in the Bush-Hillbilly era. :)

I can't believe the tripe you post. What is an "ordinary American?" Your definition is?

America is a nation of all nationalities. What other nation can say that? Why does everyone, except you and a few others, want to go there? Bush is gone, get over it. Is anarchy the way to political reform? Pretty sad to promote that way of "thinking." Education, what's that? What's it good for? Nothing, if you don't have one! Sheep or lemmings? :D

"We strongly welcome the PM's road map for national reconciliation and commitment for holding new elections. We're also encouraged by the UDD's positive response to the road map and hope that its leaders will seize this opportunity to responsibly and expeditiously lead Thailand out of its current predicament."

So Mr. Campbell is anticipating that the UDD's leaders "will....expeditiously lead Thailand out of its current predicament."? Not the current government? That's not showing confidence in the current government, is it?

Why is the US doing in this?! I wonder how much time Mr. Campbell has even spent in Thailand? Does he know the political culture and the players?

Time to put the tail between the legs and get out of the room.

The US should have sent a formal statement through the US Ambassador or embassy. NOT try to have some 'breaking bread' breakfast expecting the anti-government protesters and government to sit down together. How idiotic can you be? 'Daddy USA' would like the two fighting siblings to come to the table and eat? That's why the democrats didn't show up. The dude just gave a platform of credibility and recognition to the current enemy to the state. The Abhisit administration is the government (whether we like it or not) and if the so called communication lines of diplomacy are to be honored, than the US should have shown it by making a statement through the US Embassy directly to the current Thai government, not invite them to a stupid breakfast.

What would the conversation be at the buffet line? "Hey Noppadon, did you catch American Idol last night?" said PM Abhisit as he filled his plate with pancakes and fresh strawberries.

Or maybe I'm wrong, the breakfast was probably at Burger King, and everyone knows they don't have a buffet.

"The dude just gave a platform of credibility and recognition to the current enemy of the state?" Enemy of the state. Since you don't appear to be referring to the 3,400 deaths in the south since 2004, or black garbed gunmen of April 10, or the occupiers of international airports, and since you have mentioned the breakfast to which all parties were invited, how did multilateral breakfast invitations give anybody a platform of any kind? How could it be more obvious that the no-shows gave them the platform by default?

I can't believe the tripe you post. What is an "ordinary American?" Your definition is?

America is a nation of all nationalities. What other nation can say that? Why does everyone, except you and a few others, want to go there? Bush is gone, get over it. Is anarchy the way to political reform? Pretty sad to promote that way of "thinking." Education, what's that? What's it good for? Nothing, if you don't have one! Sheep or lemmings? :)

It's simply beyond some (or rather a lot) people's intelligence that the red shirts are not a terrorist movement. Sure, there are terrorist elements that are trying to mix with the red shirts for their own gains, such as Seh Daeng, but that doesn't mean that the red shirts are terrorists, as some people here are suggesting.

If someone is a supporter of Chelsea or Liverpool, and then someone plants a bomb somewhere wearing a Chelsea or Liverpool shirt, does that mean the entire football club is a terrorist organization? Of course not. Same thing with the red shirts.

At least the US Assistant Secretary of State has more intelligence than some of the ridiculous posters of this forum, and he can tell the difference, but that's obvious.

Doesn't appear that anyone posting in this thread has actually read Crispin's article, in which it seems clear that that US officials have expressed disapproval of Red tactics. We don't actually know what Campbell said in the meeting.

As for the US gathering intelligence on the Red occupation of Rajprasong, of course they are. The main CIA compound for SE Asia straddles a sizable chunk of real estate extending between Ratchadamri Rd and Soi Lang Suan. No doubt they have been monitoring the Rajprasong situation very closely.

I can confirm the part about the stockpiling of LPG gas tanks as I've seen them being carried into the Red encampment late at night, and have spotted a row of them partially hidden behind one of the internal barricades.

Here's the relevant section of the article.

Charged accusations

The US Embassy in a statement urged the UDD to condemn the grenade attacks - which they hadn't done from their protest stage - while calling on the government to exercise restraint. US officials have met with UDD co-leaders, including Veera Musikapong and Jaran, during the protests to impress on them Washington's perception that the UDD has provoked much of the violence, including the events of April 10.

UDD spokesman Boonracong said that a US official had "incredible details" of recent violence that he believed was gathered by the "CIA [Central Intelligence Agency] and other on-the-ground informants". He said that US officials claimed that the UDD had rigged compressed gas tanks to be used as bombs and stockpiled automatic weapons in nearby buildings - claims Boonracong characterized as "total bunk".

"The [uS] ambassador has apparently made up his mind that we have become an army and not a peaceful movement," said Boonracong, adding: "the US Embassy is not as neutral as they say they are." ATol observed and spoke with one US Embassy official who meticulously videotaped the UDD's march to smear blood at Abhisit's personal residence on March 17.

Significantly, the US's accusations mirror many of the government's claims, and raise questions about how much support the US and other Western intelligence agencies have lent Abhisit and the military in helping to unravel the UDD's complicated underground networks, financial flows and command structures - including what role, if any, Thaksin has played in recent violent events.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said before the UDD's protests began in mid-March that he had received intelligence from the US warning of possible sabotage at the protests. The information, he said, was gleaned from tapped telephone conversations between the Dubai-based Thaksin and his Thailand-situated allies. The US Embassy has neither confirmed nor denied Suthep's claims.

One international mediator with close ties to the government claims that Western intelligence agencies provided "signals, communications and money movement intelligence" about the UDD to the government. That could explain government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn's unelaborated claims that he had received information about irregular cash flows into Thailand from the Middle East coinciding with the start of the UDD's rallies.

Abhisit made similar claims during an interview with foreign journalists, saying the government had monitored "lots of money flows". He said the government now had a clearer picture of the UDD's "second and third tier" networks and the connections between people who ordered and perpetuated recent violence.

Some diplomats have focused on a phone-in speech Thaksin made before the April 10 events in which he told UDD protesters to prepare for "sacrifices". After that night's fatal armed exchanges, Thaksin assumed a low profile and in limited comments to the press said that the UDD protests had "gone beyond him". Abhisit said he would not speculate on Thaksin's motives for apparently going to ground after the violence.

In a phone call this week to his allied opposition Puea Thai party, Thaksin said he favored Abhisit's roadmap provided that all parties forgot the past, forgave one another and looked to the future, according to local press reports. At the same time, he indicated he had retained the services of an international law firm, Amsterdam & Peroff, to "return democracy to Thailand".

Bangkok-based diplomats believe that it is more likely Thaksin is already preparing legal defense strategies should the reconciliation roadmap falter and the government attempt to extend its terrorism charges leveled against nine UDD co-leaders to Thaksin as the group's perceived chief financier and strategic mastermind.

The UDD had earlier worked assiduously to win US sympathies for its self-styled democratic cause. After US officials criticized the UDD for violently disrupting last year's Asian summit meeting at Pattaya, UDD representatives followed up by making presentations to US ambassador Eric John to demonstrate that government politicians also played a role in the chaos.

UDD representatives were known to have developed close ties with certain Bangkok-based US diplomats, winning invitations to certain embassy social events and private dinners. Many in pro-government circles were peeved last year when ambassador John's wife dined in public at the Four Seasons hotel with Thaksin's former wife and business partner, Pojaman Pombejra.

That warming trend cooled in March when the UDD rallied briefly in front of the US Embassy, demanding an explanation about Suthep's intelligence claims of planned sabotage. In an apparent bid to counter US criticism and divide international opinion, Thaksin ordered the UDD to make a symbolic march to the United Nations building in Bangkok to request UN peacekeeper protection for its protest site.

The UDD made a similar call for sympathy last week at the European Commission's Bangkok offices. It all points to a concerted and monied UDD effort to win over international opinion, a strategy the UDD's violent tactics have undermined. And while it is clear to most observers that both sides should share responsibility for the recent deaths and losses, it seems that a double-standards enforcing amnesty is the only sure way to keep the peace.

Shawn W Crispin is Asia Times Online's Southeast Asia Editor.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LE08Ae02.html

"...Campbell's statement reflects Washington's support for the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD)'s campaign..."

This above quote is DEEPLY DISTURBING.... and when I read his quotes, he is just a mouthpiece... and an ill-informed one at that.... Now this behavior gives the U.S. a very very very bad name.... Sorry folks... I do not support this interfering!

With the US being the world leading expert on terrorism, doesn't this effectively clear the UDD of any silly terrorism charges? :) Seriously, though. I'd like to see the evidence that the government has. So far there has been no proof whatsoever that the red shirts are behind the police killings or the grenade attacks. Yes, the police have presented grenade launchers and ammunition allegedly seized from red shirt protesters ...but where is the evidence that these items really came from the possession of red shirt demonstrators?

Yeah man! With the video takers (who didn't bother to stop the men in black running from within the reds because he was obviously too busy filming) on the front lines at Don Muang and Pan Fa I only saw the machetes, pistols, long rifles and sling-shots! Show us the grenade launchers! There's no evidence! The Methee actor dude didn't have grenade launchers either, only military-grade weapons. No grenade launchers, no evidence! Occupying and fortifying Rachaprasong with tires and pungee bamboo sticks is not evidence! Show us the evidence! Sae Dang officially stating that he's against the government while marching with the reds with a sidearm and thugs in tow is NOT EVIDENCE! No grenade launchers, no terrorism.

Below is the full statement of US Asst Sec DEPSTATE, Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs, Kurt Campbell at the US Embassy in Bangkok today. Clearly, Dr. Campbell (Oxford) speaks for the US Government in these matters.

Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell came to Thailand today from earlier, same day meetings in Myanmar in which he continued to express the reservations of the US Goverment concerning the rules of the upcoming election there which completely exclude Nobel Peace Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi. (AsstSec Campbell had met with the principal contact and US-Myanmar engagement official, former Myanmar Ambassador to the US and presently Science and Technology Minister U Thaung.)

As his brief and salient remarks at the US Embassy/Bangkok Sunday clearly indicate, Asst Sec DEPSTATE Campbell is on a purposeful and clearly defined mission to Thailand. The reason and rationale for the nature of the visit is self-evident in the statement. AsstSec Campbell was not prohibited by the Thai Government entering Thailand diplomatic passport notwithstanding.

All of the colors in the presently ongoing fiasco that is the Thaitanic - the Reds, Yellows, Whites, Pinks, Purples or whatever - need to know that the broad view of the Obama Administration and developed democracies globally is that democracy is on the move in SE Asia, that the US Government in particular recognizes the fact, and that Thailand needs to get real and face facts.

May 9, 2010

Statement: Thailand

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Kurt M. Campbell

[As prepared for delivery]

Good morning. It is good to be back in Thailand. Our extremely able U.S. Ambassador to Thailand Eric John and I just concluded a very stimulating and illuminating discussion with a number of public figures. I have talked to those from the government, those associated with the opposition, and civil society; we've had frank but respectful exchanges.

I am here not to mediate a solution or to offer support for any particular outcome, but to underscore U.S. support for Thailand our oldest treaty ally in Asia and for the Thai people in this challenging period.

Even though Thailand is going through a difficult time, there is reason to be encouraged by efforts to bridge the differences between the government and UDD protesters and negotiate a fair and durable compromise. We strongly welcome the Prime Minister’s roadmap for national reconciliation and commitment for new elections. We are also encouraged by the UDD’s positive response to the roadmap and hope that its leaders will seize this opportunity to responsibly and expeditiously lead Thailand out of its current predicament. Restraint and foresight are critical for both sides at this time.

However, we remain cautious about progress as those who don’t want peace or political progress continue to employ violence as a means to undermine resolution of political differences --- like the unfortunate shootings Friday night that resulted in the loss of lives. In addition to those injured directly, political violence damages the nation, undermines democratic institutions and legal mechanisms for dispute resolution. We call on both sides to urge restraint and to firmly commit to a process of peaceful reconciliation in support of the rule of law and pursuit of a just and democratic outcome.

America stands by to support Thailand and its people as they work out a solution in this challenging period.

It's commonly known that in diplomacy the use of the word "frank" discussions or exchanges means sharp disagreement, but Campbell also added the word "respectful" which is a word used to indicate that movement is occurring. My take based on years of experience as professional staff in the Congress in Washinton is that the Redshirts are being told that if they want to be recognized as democrats, they have to begin acting as democrats, not a rabble of thugs. That unless and until the Reds begin to be true democrats, the advanced democracies of the world cannot view them as legitimate in their purposes and goals.

The US Governemnt is doing more than "standing by" despite the global view that only Thais can resolve the radical differences among Thas. It's the classic US view, i.e., that the Old World intrigue and subterfuge of both sides and all actors black and white alike has to stop. Both sides - all sides - need to come forward in the interests of the country as difficult and as unprecedented as that is. Historical moments in time as these currently being suffered and experienced in the country are precarious and precious, thus requiring that all parties rise to this transformative time in new and creative ways. I suspect AsstSec Campbell has a blueprint suported by other advanced democracies which requires all Thais in the forefront of this chaos to step outside of the box and to cross the unprecedented threshold of thinking in the national interest - and to prove to the global democracies of the world that Thailand is greater than the sum of its historically fragmented feudal parts. This rare transformative moment in the country requires that it be so. Indeed, better than the Thais cracking each other's heads, advanced democracies have come to the point of sitting down in private meetings to crack the heads of all of the elites.

I wonder how much time Mr. Campbell has even spent in Thailand? Does he know the political culture and the players?

Considering that he is the Assistant Secretary of State for South East Asian and Pacific Affairs, I'd say he knows quite a bit more about politics in Thailand than some of the forum members here.

All i can say........ yanks should keep their nose out of other peoples business.

Skip, gotta agree with you here, even though I am an American.... just a very AWKWARD gesture on the part of the U.S.

Okay, I give up... One last time, read the OP, not just part of it. I'll quote you the part you want to ignore:

"Restraint and foresight are critical for both sides at this time. However, it must be said that we remain cautious about progress as those who don't want peace or political progress continue to employ violence as a means to undermine resolution of political differences, like the unfortunate shooting on Friday night that resulted in a loss of lives," he said.

"In addition to those injured directly, political violence dam-ages the reputation of the nation, undermines democratic institutions and legal mechanisms for dispute resolution. We call on both sides to urge restraint and to firmly commit to a process of peaceful reconciliation in support of the rule of law and the pursuit of a just and democratic outcome."

As I've said before it better to read and be informed then puut key kwai! :)

The US should have sent a formal statement through the US Ambassador or embassy. NOT try to have some 'breaking bread' breakfast expecting the anti-government protesters and government to sit down together. How idiotic can you be? Daddy USA would like the two fighting siblings to come to the table and eat? It's like giving the so called 'terrorists' recognition. That's why the democrats didn't show up. The Abhisit administration is the government (whether we like it or not) and if the so called communication lines of diplomacy are to be honored, than the US should have shown it by making a statement through the US Embassy directly to the current Thai government.

I bet the breakfast was held at Burger King.

:)

So some of you are so so dense as to think that privileged born Rich Americans eat at Burger king? OH

NO--just making fun of the yanks are you.

The really stupid thing here with the posts is that likely, the British ambassador, the Australian ambassador, and the Canadian and New Zealand ambassadors have all said the same things to the Thai government.

Just run elections and abide by them say all the western nations.

Is that radical?

Would you expect the western democracies who speak English to side AGAINST free elections?

Not too bright are you if you are shocked by the American leaders wanting free elections.

I am quite sure the British ambassador has been much more outspoken against the current government.

Some of you anti American posters are comical.

Obama is president and the Black man wants free elections.

I know you miss Bush but he is gone so move on.

Margret Thatcher is gone too so get over it.

Reagan is dead--see--things do change.

Good luck to Thailand.

I am impressed so far by the restraint on all sides.

If Thailand does change and avoids massive violence, it will be a proud moment for Thai people all over the world. It will be change without violence. The wars in the west can be avoided and Thai Love Thai will be a proud saying.

Long Live the King and his family.

I wonder how much time Mr. Campbell has even spent in Thailand? Does he know the political culture and the players?

Considering that he is the Assistant Secretary of State for South East Asian and Pacific Affairs, I'd say he knows quite a bit more about politics in Thailand than some of the forum members here.

Amazing! You said one thing I can agree with!

Cheers!

Looks like Thaksin has been making contributions to campaign funds in the US. Probably to a US senator or two, they always have their pockets open.

Sounds like this guy was sent on an errand, and I think all he really did was face it out, show the bosses back home that he did his duty.

Did somebody say that Thaksin has already been caught doing this? He should start a PAC, that's the way graft has been legalized in DC.

Even as an American, I am shocked that this ill-informed bureaucrat sticks his nose in something that is none of his business, and probably nothing he really knows about... I am sure he got a heavy briefing before he met with the red shirts, but still, that was not enough. His statements to the effect that he supported the UDD are shocking.

I am deeply disappointed in an uninformed government clone trying to saddle up next to the red shirts in an effort to come across as some hero.

Shame, shame...

Redsunset go reread it again.

The WRITER of the article is the only one to say this indicates the USA backs to UDD.

That is the writers personal position

and NOTHING in the QUOTED State department weenies speech

says they support EITHER SIDE.

He supports the road map and HOPES the UDD's signs of agreement will be followed through on.

Stick to the quotes and it is proper diplomatic speech.

Add to that the stated attempt at a bilateral meeting of both sides.

With him as host. This shows no signs of being one sided.

Only the Thaksin team would show up,

likely because dems do not want the appearance

of a back room deal no matter WHO brokers it.

USA has mediated between PLO and Israel

and that is certainly bringing one nation together to talk with a terrorist group.

But USA did manage to create dialog at different times.

There is a difference between that and actually paying terrorist ransoms

or freeing convicted freedom fighters.

Edited by animatic

The US should have sent a formal statement through the US Ambassador or embassy. NOT try to have some 'breaking bread' breakfast expecting the anti-government protesters and government to sit down together. How idiotic can you be? 'Daddy USA' would like the two fighting siblings to come to the table and eat? That's why the democrats didn't show up. The dude just gave a platform of credibility and recognition to the current enemy to the state. The Abhisit administration is the government (whether we like it or not) and if the so called communication lines of diplomacy are to be honored, than the US should have shown it by making a statement through the US Embassy directly to the current Thai government, not invite them to a stupid breakfast.

What would the conversation be at the buffet line? "Hey Noppadon, did you catch American Idol last night?" said PM Abhisit as he filled his plate with pancakes and fresh strawberries.

Or maybe I'm wrong, the breakfast was probably at Burger King, and everyone knows they don't have a buffet.

"The dude just gave a platform of credibility and recognition to the current enemy of the state?" Enemy of the state. Since you don't appear to be referring to the 3,400 deaths in the south since 2004, or black garbed gunmen of April 10, or the occupiers of international airports, and since you have mentioned the breakfast to which all parties were invited, how did multilateral breakfast invitations give anybody a platform of any kind? How could it be more obvious that the no-shows gave them the platform by default?

Hello? What's your point in bringing up those events/statistics?

1. 3,400 deaths in south since 2004. Thaksin's administration? Mr. Campbell's invitation, um,... I don't think he meant to address that one.

2. Black garbed gunmen of April 10. Your point? Who are they? Sae Dang's men? Again, I don't think the point would be addressed.

3. Occupiers of international airports. Yes, that was a dumb one, yet bloodless. But again, I don't think Mr. Campbell meant to go backwards in time to discuss that one over his sausage McMuffin.

And you've already answered your own question. This should NOT have been treated as a multilateral event. It wasn't a meeting bringing two governments to the table (ex. Israel and Egypt to sign a peace treaty). Inviting the two to sit down together is like inviting the rock throwers (who oppose the current economic policy) in Greece to sit down with the Greek government. Not exactly the same levels in diplomacy. The reds are similar to the rock throwers because they don't agree with the current government (taxing Uncle Thaksin, disbanding parties, etc.). So they throw a huge-ass tantrum and cause mayhem in the country. And you want to give them a recognizable platform from the good ol' US of A?

Who is the US government to tell the current government to sit down for pancakes and coffee? Like Abhisit and the government isn't busy enough dealing with this? You're right, the government should have sent representatives. They SHOULD have sent the secretaries of the assistants of the secretaries of the lowest holding positions in the senate. That would've been funny.

The US government has a long time rule never to discuss or negotiate with terrorists. So why is the assistant secretary of state making an exception now? Is it because these terrorists are not threatening the US? Not only Thailand has double standards.

The term terrorist is pretty subjective and also depends which side of an issue one is speaking from, but even leaving that can of worms aside we absolutely do not have a long-time rule of not negotiating with terrorists, we have a long-time PR record of saying that we don't negotiate with terrorists. We have a long-time history of actually working with terrorists and putting them on the payroll. Like most powerful countries we're realpolitik-driven.

Campbell's statement reflects Washington's support for the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD)'s campaign.

???

Eggsactly.

The is article writer laying in something on his own not reflected in the QUOTED talk.

"We strongly welcome the PM's road map for national reconciliation and commitment for holding new elections. We're also encouraged by the UDD's positive response to the road map and hope that its leaders will seize this opportunity to responsibly and expeditiously lead Thailand out of its current predicament."

So Mr. Campbell is anticipating that the UDD's leaders "will....expeditiously lead Thailand out of its current predicament."? Not the current government? That's not showing confidence in the current government, is it?

Why is the US doing in this?! I wonder how much time Mr. Campbell has even spent in Thailand? Does he know the political culture and the players?

He doesn't need to spend time in Thailand. That is what ambassadors and embassy and state department staffers do and that is how policies evolve. In Washington's eyes, Thailand's history as a non-NATO ally may appear to be less dependable than in years past. While Thai airfields and ports have been crucial to operations in the Persian Gulf and Middle East, incidents more recently that denied the extradition of Viktor Bout, and the release of the N. Korean arms cache crew--along with what Washington may perceive as political instability, unauthorized intellectual property activity, and unresolved security issues in the southern provinces--could be causing the Obama administration to look toward his childhood home of Indonesia as the strategic alliance of the future in the region.

Cheers!

Yeah, on a state, diplomatic and official level. Or whatever level the Thai government wants to let him think he's at. I doubt he knows Thailand intimately enough, especially when he thinks (as do all westerners) that western democracy applies to Asia. Of course you want free elections. Fair elections here in Thailand, that's another story.

He doesn't need to spend time in Thailand. That is what ambassadors and embassy and state department staffers do and that is how policies evolve. In Washington's eyes, Thailand's history as a non-NATO ally may appear to be less dependable than in years past. While Thai airfields and ports have been crucial to operations in the Persian Gulf and Middle East, incidents more recently that denied the extradition of Viktor Bout, and the release of the N. Korean arms cache crew--along with what Washington may perceive as political instability, unauthorized intellectual property activity, and unresolved security issues in the southern provinces--could be causing the Obama administration to look toward his childhood home of Indonesia as the strategic alliance of the future in the region.

Well okay then.

Well put, the U.S.A. should learn from the Chinese. Do not overtly intervene in another country's internal affairs. I feel the USA should pull all support from Japan and South Korea, 60 years is enough! They want to play kissy face with N. Korea, good let them do it without the USA backing and see what happens. Kick the do nothing UN out of NYC you can have it Paris. Pull all support from NATO. The USA can defend itself no problem, you bomb Times Square you get a thousand in return, no boots on the ground, the sky will fall on your country. The gloves must come off sometime. Solve your own problems, most Americans are sick of hearing about all the worlds shit that they bring on themselves and then scapegoat the US. Thats my rant for tonight.

And quite a "rant" it is as I and others have made the occasional rant ourselves, so many of us know a good old fashioned rant when we see one. :) So I should think you have relieved your soul, chest, spirit, mind, conscience and other constituent parts of yourself for the remainder of the month at the least. :D

What a hypocrite! I can't believe the guy would even talk to these red terrorists.

Hmm ...3 anonymous forum posts claiming the red shirts are terrorists. US Assistant Secretary of State seems to think otherwise. Hmm, who should I believe. Who's more credible ...hmmm, such a tough question! :)

Right.. with a name like Che Guevera, he's proclaiming the credibility of the US Assistant Secretary of State? Hey, when its convenient, twist your universe as you like it.

Ideology has killed more people than religion. I suspect one day you'll grow the H up and realize it.

Great news...finally the US comes out and shows the clear and moral way forward...I don't understand all the negative comments on here about this meeting...it is in all of our interests to see a peaceful solution to the situation, so what is wrong with the US as an impartial 3rd party offering to lend a hand towards a peaceful outcome...

Cheers!

Yeah, on a state, diplomatic and official level. Or whatever level the Thai government wants to let him think he's at. I doubt he knows Thailand intimately enough, especially when he thinks (as do all westerners) that western democracy applies to Asia. Of course you want free elections. Fair elections here in Thailand, that's another story.

I agree with part of your comment: "Of course you want free elections. Fair elections here in Thailand, that's another story." Fair elections in Thailand is an oxymoron!

Just for talk, if the red will go to the power in the next election waht will do all poeple that call them terrorist?

I mean everybody go away from here because they dont like live in a terrorist country??

Then all people that call ALL red people "terrorist" can show a real evidence about that?

I remember when the yellow sized the airport....many call them "terrorist" but they are all here now to call the red "terrorist".....at the end, if we read some yrs before the yellow was terrorist now red are terrorist so " all Thai" are terrorist for someone.

Some days ago I was inside the red camp in Silom, i also see Seh Deng and take picture to him, if that people are terrorist you newer see one in real guys, i think use the word "terrorist" but they dont know the mean.

In some hours i was there i dont see one gun, noting can used for offence, no weapon notings...also the rangers that make security to Seh Deng dont have nothings, terrorist are something different from this people, i mean the poor people that stay there.

Just for Talk I' m not whit red or yellows only an observer!!!!!!!

post-31264-1273432321_thumb.jpg

post-31264-1273432355_thumb.jpg

post-31264-1273432442_thumb.jpg

post-31264-1273432770_thumb.jpg

Edited by oceano

The US should have sent a formal statement through the US Ambassador or embassy. NOT try to have some 'breaking bread' breakfast expecting the anti-government protesters and government to sit down together. How idiotic can you be? Daddy USA would like the two fighting siblings to come to the table and eat? It's like giving the so called 'terrorists' recognition. That's why the democrats didn't show up. The Abhisit administration is the government (whether we like it or not) and if the so called communication lines of diplomacy are to be honored, than the US should have shown it by making a statement through the US Embassy directly to the current Thai government.

I bet the breakfast was held at Burger King.

:)

So some of you are so so dense as to think that privileged born Rich Americans eat at Burger king? OH

NO--just making fun of the yanks are you.

The really stupid thing here with the posts is that likely, the British ambassador, the Australian ambassador, and the Canadian and New Zealand ambassadors have all said the same things to the Thai government.

Just run elections and abide by them say all the western nations.

Is that radical?

Would you expect the western democracies who speak English to side AGAINST free elections?

Not too bright are you if you are shocked by the American leaders wanting free elections.

I am quite sure the British ambassador has been much more outspoken against the current government.

Some of you anti American posters are comical.

Obama is president and the Black man wants free elections.

I know you miss Bush but he is gone so move on.

Margret Thatcher is gone too so get over it.

Reagan is dead--see--things do change.

Good luck to Thailand.

I am impressed so far by the restraint on all sides.

If Thailand does change and avoids massive violence, it will be a proud moment for Thai people all over the world. It will be change without violence. The wars in the west can be avoided and Thai Love Thai will be a proud saying.

Long Live the King and his family.

Justasken,

wonderful sane post..thank you...

Typical hypocrisy from the US.... They send drones to to kill Al Qaeda terrorists, while wining and dining the terrorists here in Thailand. It is a disgrace that they met with these redshirt thugs. Does Thailand need more reason to distance itself from the US....? The US should be standing beside the Thai government not cozying up with terrorists here...

Typical hypocrisy from the US.... They send drones to to kill Al Qaeda terrorists, while wining and dining the terrorists here in Thailand. It is a disgrace that they met with these redshirt thugs. Does Thailand need more reason to distance itself from the US....? The US should be standing beside the Thai government not cozying up with terrorists here...

Can you show a real evidence that they are terrorist?

You never see a real terrorist?

You go in Bkk inside theyr camp and you can say they are terrorist?

I forget: you go away from Thailand if in next election they win?

Edited by oceano