Bangkok's Drawn-Out Saga Is Starting To Get On Our Nerves

webfact

MCOT: Police: 3 China-made bombs found at Bangkok home of EC chairman Apichart Sukhagghanond; two fail to explode.

Glad to see the quality of Chinese products extends to weapons as well :)

lols! And to think gun powder was "invented" in China! Seems they are good at inventing things, but not so good at putting their inventions to practical use!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think calling Thai people dumb animals is unfair - I know some smart animals. seriously though it is not the fault of Thais that they lack some brain power its just the way it is - they are still nice people and deserve some respect from the media also they need to stop this protesting as it is getting them nowhere, It might be better if they just went home and let the tourists back into Bangkok as nana plaza and cowboy will be suffering

With all due respect and no flame intended, it's not really about Nana and Cowboy. Pattaya on the whole is very, very quiet, as is allot of Phuket and tourist Bangkok.

Time of the year plays a big part as well but tourism as a whole is definitely suffering because of these idiots (I don't just mean the reds).

Until it starts hurting the really rich at the top of Thai society then nothing will change. When that happens, it will change very quickly.

----------------------------------

I was in the Emporium yesterday and it was PACKED where the restaurants are! Seems everyone has flocked there from Central World and Paragon... it was so crowded, I couldn't wait to get out of there. The concentration of people seeking something "fun" to do was amazing.... yes, AMAZING THAILAND!

Meanwhile, Central World must be rigged by tons of TNT and other booby traps... I would not go in there for three months. That will sort the place out a bit and also be enough time to let the horrendous stench of humanity evaporate out of there!

I'm surprised that this piece didn't include that the author was drunk at the time of writing. "starting to get on the nerves", is that for real? Not sure about the rest of you but this has been getting on my nerves since it started.

I can only assume that this author doesn't usually get involved with this particular situation with her day to day reports. What a total waste of time, both for the writer and the reader. I am sure all of us who are residents of Bangkok know exactly how annoying and frustrating this situation is and don't need a clueless reporter to tell us. I am also quite sure that anybody who reads that particular newspaper has a pretty good idea how annoying and frustrating it is for BKK residents.

And seriously, do any of you give two hoots about how delegates at that exhibiton, or whatever the hel_l it is, feel about the Big Mango? I know i certainly don't.

Rant over - have a beautiful day everybody and keep smiling :)

This <deleted> has put one of my business ventures in real danger (tourist related) and in another has cost me a hel_l of a lot already - YES this <deleted> is going on my nerves and has been doing so since it started and I don't give a flying fart if any protesters get hurt as long as the government clears this mob from Bangkok's roads before the economical damage it is causing becomes permanent - I have worked my but off and spend a lot of money on those businesses and yes, I'm pissed off and so are millions of Thai's who see their business they worked so hard for being put in jeopardy by those terrorists

Herm, i really do know EXACTLY how you feel. I too work in the travel industry here in Thailand. In fact, my work brings volunteers from around the globe to work in very poor and rural areas of Isaan! This is affecting my business, my personal life, my relationship and therefore my livelihood.

I do feel for the supporters of the Red's, I really do. Little, poor or no education is the biggest problem. Show some of the guys a 500B note and they will do pretty much whatever asked. Because of this it is easy to brainwash. I am not going to get in to the comments i have received from a lot of the Isaan farmers i meet with on a regular basis but needless to say it isn't good. You can't help but feel sorry for these communities. We try to do what we can to help but we obviously cannot educate on the importance of democracy and how, in developed countries, it works (most of the time).

I guess we can onlyhope that the road-map is the way forward. I honestly believe it will take the government and a few of the red leaders to sit down and talk about it like real men. They need to come up with a compromise and agree with it. Perhaps with a mediator to oversee the talks to ensure the talks proceed properly. It will require give and take from both parties, i'm afraid, how willing each party is to 'give in' a little remains to be seen.

But, above all, i think for the good of the country, the economy and the safety of the general public, it is time for the protesters to go home.

On a side note, do you think the red's would be ok with me helping myself to 4 new tyres for my ladies Vios? Just a thought.

How many ladies have you got?

Whoops! Hope she doesn't see that!! Ok, my lady's Vios.... :D

So.. I take it that the intention of the article was lost on you guys then. :) Some on this forum are now more radical than The Nation.. quite an achievement.

I do tend to get "radical" when all I have worked for is being put in jeopardy. When a group of terrorists endanger my family's lifelyhood with dire consequences. This feeling is shared by millions of expats and Thai's right now.

This feeling should be shared by anyone working within the tourist industry, but not only, since manufacturers who have set up plants here are now beginning to consider moving production elsewhere where there is stability and not mayhem / anarchy.

Laos, Malaysia, Singapore and even Vietnam are rubbing their hands right now, watching the Thai soap opera of self distraction that is played in Bangkok.

It's easy for someone on a pension, or someone who is not living here to say "have patience" but if you are watching your business being washed down the drain, it does get a bit more tricky to remain calm.

Thailand was never a real leader in South East Asia, but had a comfortable position near the top. It's heading down to last rank like a ton of bricks.

If someone plans long term and has a lot of cash, Thailand will be rich pickings of very cheap real estate in the near future. All they have to do than is to wait 20 years for the economy to recover.

"Thailand was once the regional leader. Due to the political unrest, its status has been deteriorating. It is clear that as long as some Thais label others as dumb animals, peace will be out of reach. Is this what we need?"

Thailand was never a regional leader.

What is the basis for your assertion. When ASEAN was founded in the late 60's, Thailand was certainly in a leading position. Singapore was not then yet the first world city-state that it has become now.

No matter what the outcome of this situation is, clandestine fights will continue in an accelerating rate all over Thailand for one or two decades.

Unless the Red leaders are dealt with what they have started, - acts of terrorism, - things will get only worse. The same for the yellow leadership. Only then can there be a time of relative peace. To think it would return to an ideal peaceful time would be an illusion. The govt has failed dearly to solve the crises right at the beginning and thus set the grounds for further clandestine fightings for decades. Everyone who remembers from the past knows what that means and before it ended around 1991-1992.

Edited by elcent

No matter what the outcome of this situation is, clandestine fights will continue in an accelerating rate all over Thailand for one or two decades.

Unless the Red leaders are dealt with what they have started, - acts of terrorism, - things will get only worse. The same for the yellow leadership. Only then can there be a time of relative peace. To think it would return to an ideal peaceful time would be an illusion. The govt has failed dearly to solve the crises right at the beginning and thus set the grounds for further clandestine fightings for decades. Everyone who remembers from the past knows what that means when before ended around 1991-1992.

If the government/army had stopped this protest right at the start, it wouldn't have stopped other violent attacks that have happened (grenades going off everywhere) or any future violence.

If the government/army goes in and clears the protests in Bangkok, this won't stop any future violence.

Both would have/will cause future violence.

Not until the reds (and yellows and all of Thailand) understand that democracy comes at the ballot box, will this violence subside.

I'm surprised that this piece didn't include that the author was drunk at the time of writing. "starting to get on the nerves", is that for real? Not sure about the rest of you but this has been getting on my nerves since it started.

I can only assume that this author doesn't usually get involved with this particular situation with her day to day reports. What a total waste of time, both for the writer and the reader. I am sure all of us who are residents of Bangkok know exactly how annoying and frustrating this situation is and don't need a clueless reporter to tell us. I am also quite sure that anybody who reads that particular newspaper has a pretty good idea how annoying and frustrating it is for BKK residents.

And seriously, do any of you give two hoots about how delegates at that exhibiton, or whatever the hel_l it is, feel about the Big Mango? I know i certainly don't.

Rant over - have a beautiful day everybody and keep smiling :)

This <deleted> has put one of my business ventures in real danger (tourist related) and in another has cost me a hel_l of a lot already - YES this <deleted> is going on my nerves and has been doing so since it started and I don't give a flying fart if any protesters get hurt as long as the government clears this mob from Bangkok's roads before the economical damage it is causing becomes permanent - I have worked my but off and spend a lot of money on those businesses and yes, I'm pissed off and so are millions of Thai's who see their business they worked so hard for being put in jeopardy by those terrorists

Yes I concur with this, I am also tired of this shit and because of it, at the end of the month I shall be putting 378 little thai workers and their families on the street. Yes I am moving out. Then they too can go and get money for <deleted> up their own economies and lives. I don't give a shit for their inability to clean up their act, so workers, if you read this, on the 28 th of May, you are all without jobs.

Tough titties.

STREET WISE

Bangkok's drawn-out saga is starting to get on our nerves

By Achara Deboonme

Now, in Singapore, the big brother of Asean, according to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, the economic team is charting a new course for the country. Aside from Royal Dutch Shell, which poured US$4 billion into the island during the past four years for the complex, it promises more measures to increase the island's prosperity. That means more investment and more jobs.

-- The Nation 2010-05-10

Pardon me. I though that Indo is the big brother. S'pore is just a wee brother.

STREET WISE

By Achara Deboonme

Now, in Singapore, the big brother of Asean, according to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, the economic team is charting a new course for the country. Aside from Royal Dutch Shell, which poured US$4 billion into the island during the past four years for the complex, it promises more measures to increase the island's prosperity. That means more investment and more jobs.

-- The Nation 2010-05-10

only in size

I think calling Thai people dumb animals is unfair - I know some smart animals. seriously though it is not the fault of Thais that they lack some brain power its just the way it is - they are still nice people and deserve some respect from the media also they need to stop this protesting as it is getting them nowhere, It might be better if they just went home and let the tourists back into Bangkok as nana plaza and cowboy will be suffering

You sound like a disgruntled foreigner who was sociable unwelcome where he comes from so he came here where he figured the people were to stupid to see through him. I see you were smart enough to not give any information about yourself.

STREET WISE

By Achara Deboonme

-- The Nation 2010-05-10

only in size

Size is all that matters.

Now the Thais are preventing Malaysian Busses and Vans from entering Thailand from Danok. Why are the people here hel_l bent on destroying their country? Karma maybe?

any sources for this?

Yes you can check out the media watch on phuket wan's web site under bernama-com.

STREET WISE

By Achara Deboonme

-- The Nation 2010-05-10

only in size

Size is all that matters.

:D you must be a bird :)

per capita output / gross domestic product Singapore is the strongest performing country followed by Malaysia

size is not all :D

Now the Thais are preventing Malaysian Busses and Vans from entering Thailand from Danok. Why are the people here hel_l bent on destroying their country? Karma maybe?

any sources for this?

Yes you can check out the media watch on phuket wan's web site under bernama-com.

hope you don't mind showing the article here

ALOR SETAR, May 9 (Bernama) -- Local tour operators and agents have been advised not to do anything that could cause tension following a blockade staged by Thai van and bus operators in Danok to prevent Malaysian-registered buses and vans from entering the country since Friday.

Kedah Immigration Department Director Mohd Zulfikar Ahmad said the matter could only be resolved by Thai authorities as it occurred in their area of jurisdiction.

Yesterday, about 30 buses and vans ferrying 1,000 tourists from Malaysia were stranded in Danok when they were denied entry into the country.

With the exception of private vehicles, passengers could only enter Thailand, on foot or by hiring Thai vans and buses to make the trip at a heftier price.

"I was told they (Thai operators) are retaliating against the Kedah Road Transport Department (JPJ) for issuing multiple summonses to vans from Thailand ferrying tourists entering the country two months ago," he said when contacted here Sunday.

A survey by Bernama on the Bukit Kayu Hitam Customs, Immigration and Quarantine Complex (CIQ) found the situation to be normal with no congestion.

Malaysian tourism operators were seen dropping off passengers at the Bukit Kayu Hitam CIQ, where they would then walk about half a kilometre to Danok and continue their journey in a rented Thai van to respective destinations.

Kedah JPJ director, Abd Rahman Hussain, when contacted said they had summoned the Thai tourist van for misusing the International Circulation Permit (ICP) in Ops Checkmate two months ago.

"The ICP will only be given to owners of private vehicles entering Malaysia, but we discovered a tourist van operator from Thailand using it to ferry tourists," he said.

Kedah Tourism Ministry Office Director Anuar Abdul Razak said they would hold talks with the border enforcement agency soon to resolve the issue.

Meanwhile, in KANGAR, Ops Checkmate will continue although it has received objection from Thai tourism operators.

Perlis JPJ Public Relations Officer Tarmizi Ghazali said they had not received any order to stop the operation which was launched on March 1.

Until then, he said, they would still carry out the operation which aimed to identify offences by foreign vehicles in the country.

-- BERNAMA

Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=496744

ALOR SETAR, May 9 (Bernama) -- Local tour operators and agents have been advised not to do anything that could cause tension following a blockade staged by Thai van and bus operators in Danok to prevent Malaysian-registered buses and vans from entering t

Thai's = lemmings + cliff = learning by pain - however, the lemmings never learned anything did they now = Thai

Edited by Herm

what's a "buff"?

They call the B52 bomber 'The Buff' ......... it stands for Big Ugly Fat F.....er

Make your own mind up :)

The B52 ugly, fat ? She was a wonderful, sleek and graceful design second only to the Concorde for looks !

MCOT: Police: 3 China-made bombs found at Bangkok home of EC chairman Apichart Sukhagghanond; two fail to explode.

lols! And to think gun powder was "invented" in China! Seems they are good at inventing things, but not so good at putting their inventions to practical use!

They were good at inventing things a long time ago. Now they just reverse engineer, copy and steal intellectual property!

They were good at inventing things a long time ago. Now they just reverse engineer, copy and steal intellectual property!

... the same as the Japanese did?

Police were alerted on Sunday night that assailants fired giant fire crackers at a residence of Apichart Sukakkanont, chairman of Election Commission in Soi Krungthep-Nonthaburi 43.

The attack damaged trees and cement walls of the house. However Suchart did not live there. Police believed that the assailants just wanted to make a threat.

I find this very strange, the police making excuses for Terrorists ??

If they were strong enough to damage concrete and trees - can one still call them firecrackers ?

How does the police know they were just making a threat ? why do they call it like this ?

Is the policy now to downplay their acts to avoid being forced to do something about it?

The land of smiles - new - The land of Anarchy

Edited by Herm

"Thailand was once the regional leader. Due to the political unrest, its status has been deteriorating. It is clear that as long as some Thais label others as dumb animals, peace will be out of reach. Is this what we need?"

Thailand was never a regional leader.

Fine. But we all know that Thailand is the hub of the hubs

Poorly written piece full of inacuracies. Although I agree that the general feeling has turned to disgust with current events and the paralizing lack of progress. It kind of marks you in almost paranoid way. Every time someone at work makes a statement, you go like <source, please?>...

Just goes to prove, if you are stubborn and closed minded, you will eventually be the SLOWEST one to progress in the pack!

... the same as the Japanese did?

But the Japanese copied with outstanding quality.... the Chinese do not even know what quality is... only $$$$.... and the Japanese are innovators too... they are good at creating new ideas... if it is inside the box ideas and not too outlandish.... re: iPod - the Japanese FAILED to see this opportunity.

Seh Daeng.... where is he? What is he up to? I think the reds are giving the impression they are fragmented... but we, the people, are smarter than that! 'Round 'em all up and throw them in prison!!!

You do the crime, you do the time.... All of you red shirt leaders!!!! No exceptions, Nuttuwat, Weng, Veera, you lightweight hoodlums!!!!!