I have recently received a 3 month single entry Non Imm B visa from Kunming, however since applying for this Visa and its issue my cirumstances have changed. I will be entering Thailand this coming Friday and being a Brit passport holder I can get a 30 day visa on arrival.

My question is, when does the newly issued Non Imm B visa kick in, would it be when the immigration swipe my passport at Swampy or would it not kick in if I went the visa on arrival route. ?

The reasons for my question are pretty deep but basically I dont want to use the Non Imm B visa at this moment

Your visa will give you a permission to stay of 90 days, provided you enter before the visa expires. (3 months after the visa is issued). You don't have the option of not using the visa.

In the past immigration was sometimes kind to do this, but now they are strict and will require you to enter on the visa.

Edit: As a British passport holder you would not get a visa on arrival, but a visa exempt entry. Both are different things and if you ever need a visa exempt entry you have to ignore the visa on arrival signs at the airport. That is not for you. Only for nationals of some other countries.

You can try and ask them to ignore it, in which case you don't enter the visa number on your arrival card. But reports from mebers suggest they will no longer do it.

If you want to keep your non-B visa entry allive, you can get a re-entry permit. This will allow you to keep your permisison to stay when you leave Thailand. But you will have to re-enter Thailand before the permission to stay ends (and apply for an extension of stay before that date).

If you travvel to the UK, the consulate in Hull will give you a non-B with a simple letter from a prospective employer. or a (multiple) non-O on the basis of visiting friends. You can get a work permit on a non-O as well.