Thai Supermarket Chain To Sell Uk Goods

walking wallet

The Tops supermarket chain has signed an agreement with Wiatrose , a leading UK upmarket chain , to distribute Waitrose products at 25 stategic Tops supermarkets in Thailand , about 250 Waitrose products . The company expects Waitrose brand sales will reach 100 Million Baht by the end of this year...... Any one know how good the Waitrose brand of goods are...?

Thanks....... WW

Last time I was shopping at one - a few years ago - the description of an "upmarket" store was apt.

There were plenty of goods that you wouldn't find elsewhere and quality was extremely good.

Relative to other supermarket chains, expensive also.

I think they were the food arm of J. Lewis (or a name like that) the department store.

Waitrose are pretty good , better than Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury's et al.

Cost about 10% more than Tesco's , but have a more deluxe choice.

I should know , wifey shops there most days. :o

Expensive , but not in comparison to M&S and I think their stuff is of a similar level.

Edited by chonabot

In my opinion the quality is good. I see they have them on the shelf at Tops Silom Complex and Chidlom. Same quality and price as M & S. Good yes - but expensive as well. One interesting note about M & S foods. I was in Chinatown (Yaworat) 2 Saturday evenings ago and someone was selling a load of their food products (Saturday night market). Cereal and dry goods and mix and match 3 packagesfor 50 baht. Was dubious about the quality and expire date but all checked out! The biscuits and cereal was great! I did ask out of curiousity where she obtained them and I was told (wholesale). Of course I believed her! ha ha!

Waitrose is the Rolls Royce of British supermarkets. Anything you could not find in conventional supermarkets in uk, you went to Waitrose. A bit more pricy than the average, but superb quality. Also stocked foods and beers from all over the world. Singha beer, Taziki,German Bratwuerst,Italian Salami,etc

Speaking of supermarkets selling foreign goods, I've often wondered about Carrefour... :D

Has anyone else noticed how many Carrefour brand products have descriptions and cooking instructions written only in French? How many Thais and farang can actually read it? Do these products actually sell?

:o

Speaking of supermarkets selling foreign goods, I've often wondered about Carrefour...  :D

Has anyone else noticed how many Carrefour brand products have descriptions and cooking instructions written only in French?  How many Thais and farang can actually read it?  Do these products actually sell?

Oui

Yep waitrose is a very good supermarket if a little pricey, whenever i have been in there it has always tended to be the more mature shopper (is this saying pc enough for everyone?), not sure why this is maybe because more mature people appreciate the slightly higher quality of the goods. They sell alot of food that you cant find in other supermarkets.

Speaking of supermarkets selling foreign goods, I've often wondered about Carrefour...  :D

Has anyone else noticed how many Carrefour brand products have descriptions and cooking instructions written only in French?  How many Thais and farang can actually read it?  Do these products actually sell?

:D

Oui

Could be because they are French :D

re: Waitrose is part of an outfit called the John Lewis Partnership which is a sort of co-operative organisation with high morals,principals and good welfare benefits for all members/staff and have a policy of never knowlingly undersold...wot ever that means. (unlike Wally martin) :D

Good quality chop...looksee--yummi

http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/recipes/recipesmonth.asp :o

If Waitrose truly sell UK food and other products at TOPS, then that can only be a good thing for disspelling the myth of no 'British' food.

Will they put Marmite, Ribena, and a smorgsboard of cheese on the their delivery list? I certainly hope so!

It will be interesting to see at what price they manage to sell their goods at!

Laulen :o

Waitrose is nothing special.

I just wish Tesco would stock more Pommie products, Tesco is Ace in the UK :o

They did when they first opened, but the Thai's did not buy them,

and farangs are a small part of the customer base so the items were

dropped.

TIT

Slightly OT, but does Carrefour sell any imported beers?  If so, which brands?  (I'm too lazy to make the trip down to Carrefour if the answer turns out to be no)

Simon

Yes... they sell Guinness.

(I'm too lazy to tell you the others :o )

Re :Guinness.

I was checking out the supermarket in MBK the other day and noticed that they also do tins of the Black Stuff imported from Australia.

From memory they were priced at Bt 180 a throw and the tins appeared to have a "widgit" inside... we all know what thats for.....right

Hey Udon - nice to chat the other day by the way - must catch up for that beer...

Do you happen to know if they have Tesco products at any outlets in Sydney - while I am here it would be nice to have a look and maybe pick up some PG Tips or something...

Related note - I notice no-one ever mentioned Villa Supermarkets for farang foods, including UK and Australian imported items.

Sounds like Villa will have some real competition now though...

Edited by Greer

Hey Udon - nice to chat the other day by the way - must catch up for that beer...

Do you happen to know if they have Tesco products at any outlets in Sydney - while I am here it would be nice to have a look and maybe pick up some PG Tips or something...

Related note - I notice no-one ever mentioned Villa Supermarkets for farang foods, including UK and Australian imported items.

Sounds like Villa will have some real competition now though...

After reading a previous thread about outdated food products in villa supermarkets i would be very cautious about buying products there, lets just hope that tops/waitrose have a better policy as far as this is concerned here is the thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29575, not sure how to post this thread any other way but i am sure someone will tell me

Re :Guinness.

I was checking out the supermarket in MBK the other day and noticed that they also do tins of  the Black Stuff imported from Australia.

From memory they were priced at Bt 180 a throw and the tins appeared to have a "widgit" inside... we all know what thats for.....right

The Guinness at Carrefour and also Foodland is also imported from Oz... complete with widgits.

Arroy mak!