Frank Visakay Dies In Phuket, Age 71

webfact

Frank Visakay dies in Phuket, age 71

phuket-Writer-and-restaurateur-Frank-Visakay-will-be-sorely-missed-1-QKmvmME.jpg

Writer and restaurateur Frank Visakay died in Phuket

PHUKET: -- Long-term Phuket expat Frank Visakay of the USA died in his rented home in Rawai today of apparent heart failure. He was 71.

Neighbors discovered his body in his home on Soi Pattana after becoming concerned because he had not left the house for a few days.

Friends close to Mr Visakay said he was suffering from a rare disease that affected the electrolyte balance in his body and “was turning him into a pillar of salt.”

A native of New Jersey, Mr Visakay was a successful restaurateur in New York City before retiring to Phuket in 1998.

He was a regular fixture at literary gatherings on the island and published several books while living in Phuket, including his memoirs in a 2008 book entitled Jasmine Fever, Confessions of a Jaded Expat.

He was also featured in Expat Gallery in the April 3 edition of the Phuket Gazette this year.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-05-11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

RIP.

Anyone read his memoirs?

No, but.. Big Frank was also a regular contributor to the Stick*** site (a few years back,) who used to run many of Frank's grittier tales about Lalaland. The 'Crime Suppression Unit' series was good fun.

it should also be mentioned, as I did in another thread as I missed this one, that his Dog whom he loved a lot, has been taken to PAWS and will be dumped at the temple if no one takes it.

I am sure it is probably well trained as he took care of his animals.

Frank was flat out one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.

I was lucky enough to share a few breakfasts with him at Don's old place, plus a few cocktails at the Asia bar.

Frank knew he did not have much longer as he had mentioned that to me.

RIP Frank