Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

2. 173

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

3. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

4. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

5. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

6. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

7. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

8. 25

9. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

10. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

11. 1

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

12. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

13. 25

I think most banks in the UK have a policy of not sending cards abroad?

You could ask them to mail it to someone in the UK you trust? I think they'd be OK with that.

Not sure what the deal is if it doesn't match the address they have for you.

The biggest problem with Natwest is communication IMHO.

You can only contact Customer Services or Branch Help Desk and relay issues through these.

Not only is this costly from abroad, but it adds a massive delay to resolving things.

Hope you find some way to get it here.

That's what they told me too. I suggested maybe they could DHL courier it and debit the monies from my account. About 2 weeks later I received a strange letter saying because I lived in Thailand they had destroyed my replacement card and would I please ring this number:- 0845 300 3383. (NatWest Manchester Customer Service Centre). I called them and they instructed my branch to issue another card and post it to Thailand. I received the card by normal mail to my Thailand address 7 working days later !

thanks - on the phone they said they would send it then they sent a letter saying they will not - howevre all my bank statements and letters arrive here no problem - as it has to be activated by phone what's their problem? WISH I had open at HSBC years ago - but after 33 years with nat west I have some kind of strange loyalty and it would be an enormous hassle to change now. I am phoning them again.

HSBC will not send credit cards to Thailand either.

I had to have my HSBC credit cards sent to my HSBC branch and they sent them to me here by DHL.

Don't know what I'll do when I need replacement cards as I've now closed my HSBC bank account.

Edited by PattayaParent

HSBC will not send credit cards to Thailand either.

I had to have my HSBC credit cards sent to my HSBC branch and they sent them to me here by DHL.

Don't know what I'll do when I need replacement cards as I've now closed my HSBC bank account.

it's bloody ridiculous is what it is - but I meant HSBC has branches here and in neighbouring countries so much easier - I have a Thai credit card but many things are connected to my UK card - so it's a real pain.

I have contacted my UK solicitor so may have themsent to them - but Nat West should sort outtheir systems.

UK banks will not ship ATM cards to a country that is highly rated on the Fraud Hotlist. The message is that the Thai Post is very unreliable, and card products are never received by the individuals.

UK Offshore, some will ship out via courier service at cost to you.

But update to Visa & Mastercard branded cards.

From September 2010, you will not be allowed to withdraw cash from your cards abroad using your debit or credit card, only make purchases or cash advances.

This stops the cloning element that is happening worldwide on UK cards.

From September 2010, you will not be allowed to withdraw cash from your cards abroad using your debit or credit card, only make purchases or cash advances.

You what now?!

Do you have a link so we can verify that? Is that a 'global' stop or just something your bank is doing? Sounds like a whole lot of punters will be torqued with that policy if it is actually going to happen.

I thought the UK banks and VISA and MasterCard were confident that their chip & pin system had greatly reduced fraud. But maybe that's just for internet, POS and cash advances. I don't think the ATM's anywhere use the chip, only the PIN.