Bronchitis - Do I Need To See Dr.?

Wrong Turn

I am pretty sure I have bronchitis.

Sore throat, raspy voice, wheezing, etc.

I had bronchitis 2 times, 9 years ago because of smoking - and I quit.

I think my bronchitis is caused by second hand smoke in pubs, and by the pollution of the city.

Question

1. do I HAVE to go see a doctor and take anti-biotics?

2. or, can I just rest, breathe clean air, and drink fluids for 2 days?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Here is why I'm asking.

Anti-biotics apparently only help bacterial infections, and not viral infections:

Historically, most patients got a penicillin shot when they were sick and went to see their doctor. This treatment no longer applies because current research shows antibiotics only kill bacterial infections not viral infections, which are cold and flu illnesses. Antibiotics have no affect on viral infections.

Do I need to see a doctor to find out which infection I have? Either Viral or bacterial?

Is bronchitis from smoking & pollution, bacterial?

I do NOT have a cough, generally. I've only coughed about 3 times. But the mucous was green.

Bronchitis

People with a deep cough/bronchitis often believe they need an antibiotic. ‘‘Bronchitis’’ means inflammation of the large airways called bronchi. A cough is a reflex response to such inflammation or irritation. Viral infections cause most bronchitis.

In the past, doctors treated bronchitis with antibiotics. Today the best treatment of a cough is simply time. If the cough is bothersome, take a cough suppressant with dextromethorphan (i.e. Benylin DM, Robitussin DM). Cough medicines do not speed recovery; they only help the symptoms. Generally, a cough does not require antibiotic treatment unless it persists past two weeks or if shortness of breath develops.

The adage regarding mucus or phlegm: ‘‘if it’s clear, it’s viral and if it’s colorful then it’s bacterial’’ is no longer correct. Yellow or green mucus occurs with a viral infection and does not require an antibiotic. The only color to be concerned about is red, which can mean blood and possibly pneumonia.

Edited by Wrong Turn

Go see a Doctor.

Why?

If you are wheezing the airways to your lungs sound inflamed. Green mucous is often a sign of infection though not always needing a course of antibiotics.

The dust and pollution in the city and elsewhere can enter the airways and cause respiratory problems. As can the dust in the home.

A Doctor can check very quickly if it is an infection or not.

Different courses of action are available from a quick session on a nebulizer to steroids to reduce inflammation and antibiotics to clear an infection or a combination of.

The last chest infection I had I was given all three aforementioned and the problem was cleared up in 10 days. Cost me less than 500 Baht too. Cheap enough.

A friend had floor fans that blew the dust up into the air in the house. He was advised to install ceiling fans after repeated problems with breathing. He has never looked back since.

The wheezing is the key to any management irrespective of whether the cause is viral or bacterial.

Wheezing means that the smaller airways are obstructed and airflow reduced due to swelling from the infection or underlying pre-existing tendency to bronchospasm; again does not matter.

The moment normal airflow through lungs (or sinuses) are obstructed, bacterial overgrowth will follow as these spaces are normally full of bacteria anyway.

On top of this, in your case, there has been previous infections; these always result in some scar tissue to some extent which again ups the risk.

Green sputum may be due to a strep or worse case scenario, pseudomonas. Atypical pneumonia must also be excluded (X-ray)

Treatment consists of:

Antibiotics

Inhalation therapy (steam etc) to get the airflow going again

Lots of fluids to reduce the viscosity of secretions

Good Luck!

The doctor will check quickly if there is an infection, but most likely in Thailand he/she will NOT do a routine check on whether it is viral or bacterial- which would require at least one lab test- but simply prescribe antibiotics for safety's sake. If you go to a hospital for treatment, you could probably insist on the lab test, but it will not be as quick or cheap. Furthermore, you may be at risk from secondary infections taking advantage of your illness. No easy answer, but those are the choices you have.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

I have been to many websites and many (some doctors) advocate breathing in steam, pounding on the chest, staying in clean and fresh air, etc. I'm also drinking lots of water.

I am going to wait until tomorrow to decide if I need anti-biotics and to go and see a doctor.

Edited by Wrong Turn

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

I have been to many websites and many (some doctors) advocate breathing in steam, pounding on the chest, staying in clean and fresh air, etc. I'm also drinking lots of water.

I am going to wait until tomorrow to decide if I need anti-biotics and to go and see a doctor.

I'd see a doctor at a hospital where they have testing gear.

A year plus ago I rather suddenly came down with breathing problems and, liek you, figured it was something relatively simple. It became severe one day so I motored on down to Vibhavadi Hospital, saw a nurse, and was quickly slapped down on a gurney with oxygen tubes in my nose. Saw the lady MD shortly, Dr Paneeda, she checked me in and I spent the night with the oxygen and a misty sort of mask. Fine the next day.

She said I had asthma, I said I ain't a kid any more, she said check out "adult onset asthma." Anyway, pretty much under control these days and glad I made the visit. I was just down seeing her again this morning for a quarterly checkup, OK.

Mac

Go see a doctor.....My sister came down with similar symptoms, she had been running a pub for years/and smoking. Turned out she had cancer of her esophagus. The cure was to remove her larynx and a few other bits and pieces. Now she breather through a hole in the frount of her neck and can only take liquid nourishment. She is in full remission.

I know she would advise you see a doctor.

Smoker lungs are at higher risk of severe and /or complicated chest infection.

As the other posters mentioned, it is best to get the dr check it out and give you tretment.

Have you ever get a lung function test? Eventhough you quit smoke, the damage from past normally does not get better.

Good luck and quick recovery.

Thanks to all of you above: ^, ^^, and ^^^

Tomorrow morning I'll know.

And yes, I should check for cancer of esophegous, and also, chest infection.

I quit smoking 9 years ago, and was always an on-off-again smoker. I avoid smoky pubs, until recently, when I found one that has become my favorite - well - was.....my favorite.

Thanks and I'll let you folks know what transpires.

Thanks to all of you above: ^, ^^, and ^^^

Tomorrow morning I'll know.

And yes, I should check for cancer of esophegous, and also, chest infection.

I quit smoking 9 years ago, and was always an on-off-again smoker. I avoid smoky pubs, until recently, when I found one that has become my favorite - well - was.....my favorite.

Thanks and I'll let you folks know what transpires.

Could just be something simple such as broncho-virus and pollution. Stay indoors if you can.

Update Day 2.

Last night I was wheezing strongly. I tried to do lung expansion by breathing deeply and exhaling slowly. It would work for a short time.

When I woke up, I was out of breathe, wheezing heavily. I could feel the congestion in my throat.

The first thing I did was boil a pot of water. Once at a boil, I breathed the steam as deeply as I could, exhaling slowly. I did this probably 30 times.

Then I coughed up and spit out dark green mucous about 3-4 times.

I was going to go to the Dr, but then I started breathing better, and feeling better.

I have gotten better throughout the day.

I am getting better.

I just have to be careful. Perhaps I need to circulate the air in my room?

I have avoided anti-biotics, so far.

Sounds to me like you are in the middle of an acute infection, and given it seems quick onset then most likely viral. For sure it will be exacerbated by the crap air, and don't go out for a couple of days if at all possible.

But yes in your shoes I think I'd want a course of antibiotics, the argument being that you may have a weakness, certainly seem to have a lot of phlegm, and are living in a polluted city, ie, if it isn't bacterial it might very well turn that way quite soon. I too share your reluctance of doctors in Thailand, fearing they go over the top. But only you can decide really.

Those are quite hard symptoms and when I've had them I've been diagnosed with a broncho-virus and told to stay indoors and rest.

Have you considered that you are generally suffering from some form of non-allergic respiratory problem, it's quite common out here, it's the smog and the heat. Symptoms are a bit like hay fever, through to asthma like distress.

You don't necessarily have a chronic problem, it's amazing what problems a minor allergy or such like can wreak, and I too have had similar yet have a very strong respiratory system.

Thanks for the advice ^ and ^^

Day 3:

Early morning, my own wheezing whistling sounds woke me up. I tried to sleep on the soap but no luck. Still wheezing, but less.

I decided to boil water in pot, and I breathed it deeply many times. This loosed up the congestion (or whatever it is) and I coughed and spit 2 times. Then I felt clear, and went to bed.

Today, I'm improving but still cautious. Avoiding pollution and second-hand smoke. Throat sore sometimes, but other times better.

I am getting better.

Still tried the anti-biotics.

i had it realy bad 3 weeks ago, starting to get over it now. i went to hospitals in Pattaya, bangkok and memorial, both useless, bangkok hospital charged 3500, and said in 5 days you will be ok. tens days later i was worse. i tried zethromax, that did not work, so found this on net below, followed no booze or milk and feel almost normal now. not suggesting anybody does this, but go to the docter you will get over priced amoxacillin and over priced paracetomol. i e mailed bkk hasopital about getting worse they said see a doctor, the wife now has it but is getting better on a few days of this. way way cheaper option for me, well would have been.

all discussed with a qualified pharmasist, who seem better than the doctors.

Doxycycline

100mg

Twice a day

Roxithromycin

150mg twice a a

Flagyl 400 mg 3 times a day

i also as suggested put a bowl of water in bedroom when the air con is on, to help sore throat. its amazing how much it has gone down. misses thought i was nuts but even she agrees it is better.

Edited by NALAK

^ Thanks.

I am allergic to pennicilin/amoxycillin, also.

As for the bowl of water when you run A/C, it adds moisture to the room that well, ay?

I'll try it. Thanks.

I have thought about those inhalers. They are plastic. you put them in your mouth, and pump the stuff in and breathe.

Should I try one? From a street pharmacist?

Thanks for your info. NALAK.

Hi WT,

You definitely have chest infection whether it is bronchitis/infected bronchiectesis/COPD with infection.

It is best to get the doctor to check and prescribe you appropiate antibiotics and bronchodilator and/or mucolytics.

You have wheezing so it is bronchospasm and the greenish sputum indicate bacterial infection.

There are macrolide base antibiotics which can be used in penicillin allergic patients but you should only take it under health care profesional advise.

Good Luck.

Hi WT,

You definitely have chest infection whether it is bronchitis/infected bronchiectesis/COPD with infection.

It is best to get the doctor to check and prescribe you appropiate antibiotics and bronchodilator and/or mucolytics.

You have wheezing so it is bronchospasm and the greenish sputum indicate bacterial infection.

There are macrolide base antibiotics which can be used in penicillin allergic patients but you should only take it under health care profesional advise.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info.

So, you're saying I need anti-biotics.

OK.

I will go to an international hospital and make it clear I am allergic to penicillin.

If I don't take anti-biotics, I assume it won't go away, then, eh?