New Ethiopean Restaurant

ricklev

Well, it's no Abyssinia (and Abyssinia wasn't all that great...) but at long last an Ethiopean restaurnat has opened. It's called Habeesha and it's on Nana roughly opposite where Abyssinia was. If you are facing the entrance to Bumrangrad on Nana go to your right and its in the lobby of a hotel. There is a big sign saying Ethiopean Restaurant.

The atmosphere is not so good and the food was only so-so when I visited. (I was there at closing time.) BUT it completely fulfilled my need for Ethiopean food. They do have injera, of course, and all that goes with it.

Edited by ricklev

How long does it take to develop a taste for injera?

I tried it once at the old Abyssinia and it tasted like a 'muddy' crepe to me. Not too impressed but obviously the taste was authentic and not 'dumbed down' for tourists.

I did however like Ethiopean gin when a friend once brought a bottle back from a visit. He loved the country, especially the gin!

Hope the place is a success.

The atmosphere is not so good and the food was only so-so when I visited

Not exactly a good recommendation is it?

At first I thought it was an advertisement for the restaurant until I read the not-so-complimentary comments.

Good news indeed! So it's on the exact same street as the defunct Abyssinia? I don't remember Abyssinia's injera very well as it's been a long time, but yes good injera is very delicious. I would be a little surprised if they can get teff flour here though, the bread is supposed to be SOUR.

Good news indeed! So it's on the exact same street as the defunct Abyssinia? I don't remember Abyssinia's injera very well as it's been a long time, but yes good injera is very delicious. I would be a little surprised if they can get teff flour here though, the bread is supposed to be SOUR.

The owner once told me they had the injera flown in daily from Addis Abbaba because they couldn't make it in Thailand (weather too moist). Sounded a bit inconvenient to me. All said though, for Bkk their food was not bad.

Yeah, the waiter at Habeesha, who might have been the owner, said that they had to have a connection with Ethiopean Airline to get the injera. It wasn't clear to me if he meant the flour or the actual injera. That was the weakness in the meal, as it seemed a bit stale. I was hoping it was because it was the end of the day.

I mentioned how much I enjoyed eating in Little Ethiopea in Los Angeles and he wistfully remarked how good the injera is there.

Edited by ricklev

• 2 weeks later...

I went back today to give it another try. They are offering two kinds of injera; imported from Ethiopia and made here in Bangkok. The Ethiopian injera was great sour and soft. The owner said they couldn't get the fermentation right here but were working on mixing in some rice flour to get it to ferment properly.

Give it a try. They need the business and I want to see them make it!

If you have any doubt about what to order or how to eat it, they speak perfect English and couldn't be friendlier.

I always order a vegetarian platter which is a variety of vegetable dishes on top of the injera. Its 200 baht and is enough for two people.