Armoured Vehicles, Army Live Bullets Will Be Used To Surround Red-Shirts From 6pm

webfact

Reds Won't Give Up, to Resist CRES Dispersal Efforts This Evening

The core red-shirt leaders have announced that they won't give up and disperse even when the Center for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has threatened to use armored vehicles to surround the protesters at Ratchaprasong and that live bullets may be used to encourage the protesters to leave the Ratcharprason area.

The leaders say the the protesters will be rehearsing counter-dispersal tactics ahead of the launch of the dispersal operation tonight at 6 P.M.

What? Like putting women and children in the front line? Cowardly scum

Yeah, that and shaking a few sharpened bamboo sticks.

Sadly it could also include a few M-79's as well.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did I hear someone cry 'wolf' ?

One thing for sure , all THAI are the same SAY I DO and DO Nothing , same in Business , same in Government , that way no one can be accountable !! Its the Thai Way

That's a bit cynical isn't it?

Get bitten by a Thai girl did you?

I assume you still live in Thailand.

If they don't go ahead with this resolution. What little credibility the authorities did have, will evaporate completely.

I reckon they will go ahead and surround the area, but probably not much more than that will occur.

I think they should surround the area, and just probe a little bit. See what reaction they get.

But I don't understand why they go in at night.

its been frustrating sure but why does it sound like people want the army /government to hurry up and kill people? Isn't calling for the crackdown, getting the reds out etc calling for people's deaths (probably on both sides)?

So yesterday "we are going to cut off all supplies tonight" followed by the red shirts setting up numerous generators.

Today " we will surround you tonight and use live ammunition" followed by Saeh Daeng getting his snipers in position, fresh petrol on the barricades as the old stuff will have evaporated by now etc etc etc.

Tomorrow "we decided to not move in as it would have been too dangerous" or "yes we know many people died, soldiers included, but we are back where we started, the reds are still there, parading the dead bodies and we have more accusations to answer, next time however we will clear the area".

so dam_n predictable, lame duck government

Do they really think that using armoured personnel carriers that they will be able to disperse this crowd without getting some people killed? That would probably make the April 10 look like a children's party.

Wonder what Gen. Paochinda has to say about this?

My bet is that NO, there will be no clash and that this the government will suffer another embarassing and humiliating defeat is a game of chicken.

Who is this Paochinda when he is at home :):D

Did I hear someone cry 'wolf' ?

One thing for sure , all THAI are the same SAY I DO and DO Nothing , same in Business , same in Government , that way no one can be accountable !! Its the Thai Way

Absolutely correct. :)

100 % AGREE!

So yesterday "we are going to cut off all supplies tonight" followed by the red shirts setting up numerous generators.

Today " we will surround you tonight and use live ammunition" followed by Saeh Daeng getting his snipers in position, fresh petrol on the barricades as the old stuff will have evaporated by now etc etc etc.

Tomorrow "we decided to not move in as it would have been too dangerous" or "yes we know many people died, soldiers included, but we are back where we started, the reds are still there, parading the dead bodies and we have more accusations to answer, next time however we will clear the area".

bts stations closing at 6pm siam, chidlom, rajadamri, ploenchit,

Edited by bkkjames

yawn.

Seems like the same posts have been repeated for weeks.

Is it a crime in Thailand to shoot at police/military helicopters? All in good fun, right?

I think in most countries, attempting to bring down a helicopter would elicit a number of serious crimes, including attempted murder and possibly terrorism. Such actions are not exactly representative of "peaceful protestors".

And just imagine what would happen to innocent people on the ground if the "peaceful protestors" were actually successful in downing a helicopter whilst over central Bangkok? Do their intellects extend that far, or do they even care?

its been frustrating sure but why does it sound like people want the army /government to hurry up and kill people? Isn't calling for the crackdown, getting the reds out etc calling for people's deaths (probably on both sides)?

Oh, there's no shortage of people calling for bloodshed on this forum!

bts closing at 6pm

Where's that from James?

bts closing at 6pm

Where's that from James?

thai twitter, staff told me krungthep turakij newspaper, see my edited post above : just a few stations apparently, siam, chidlom, ploenchit, rajadamri

Edited by bkkjames

bts stations closing at 6pm siam, chidlom, rajadamri, ploenchit,

I remember the actual holiday: its GROUNDHOG'S DAY! The same thing reoccurs again and again

ZOMG! just get it over & done with!

Exactly! Whatever is going to happen just get on with it so we can all start trying to get back to some kind of normality.

PS: To all our American friends, "normalcy" is NOT an acceptable English word. Stop b*astardising our lingo.!!

quote name='OzMick' date='2010-05-13 13:42:46' post='3591581'

Why can't we have a free and fair election with the red leaders in jail? [/quote

Legitimacy.

The Reds, like all other major groupings, must perceive the next election as free and fair. That is the only way to get them, and all other groups, to regard the outcome as legitimate and thus voluntarily accept the outcome.

Many posters here are talking about a coercive outcoming: military rule, Singapore style governance, and then of course there are the bitter loons who cant wait for (thai) blood to spill.

What i'm arguing for is a non coercive outcome: where groups of people voluntarily set aside differences to reach an acceptable of social harmony. That cannot in my judgement by achieved if those who symbolize the hopes and aspirations of one important group are incarcerated. What is important here is not what you or i think of the Red leaders or the Reds themselves. What is important is to bring the Reds back into the political process.

To do that, you have to consider how they think, and what they value. You wont lure the Reds back into the political process--including accepting an unfavorable election outcome as legitimate--if you insult them by incarcerating their leaders. You wont get them to accept an unfavorable result if they think that their chances were held back by goverment coercion.

It may well be that the choice is either between an amnesty, or--sooner or later--wide spread violence. I think Abhisit and the generals are wise men and fundamentally understand this. They have to negotiate the political narrows between extremely opposed groups who both feel that their interests area being trampled upon, with potentially horifying consequence if the govnerment get it wrong. Abhisit et al are wise to understand that time, and gentle pressure are their greatest assets.

If, in fact, this matter does end with elections widely perceived in Thailand as legitimate, Abhisit will deserve and get the Nobel Peace prize. He, and the Thai people, will have done for this country what Gorbachev, Yeltsin, and the Russian people did for theirs.

But we arent there yet. And if the armored vehicles now being discussed move on Ratchaprasong, I fear we never will.

Is that supposed to be some kind of guilt trip?

What is this government, what is ANY government supposed to do when confronted with a violent revolutionary insurgency (who are armed with lethal weapons) willing to "fight to the death"? They can surrender sure, they can cave in to all their insane demands which do NOT reflect the majority wishes of the Thai people, they can allow them to hold to country hostage forever, or they can attempt to disperse the illegal occupation. Any other country in the world would have done the latter long ago.

"Live Bullets to Be Used" - regardless of the circumstances?

I can see Thailand's international status crumbling over the next few days - to a par with China.

Edited by Deeral

I can see Thailand's international status crumbling over the next few days - to a par with China.

well nothing to lose considering they were already refused entry onto the Human Rights list today, might as well play up to that, nobody is expecting human rights to be observed anyway.

The insurgents have lethal weapons. They have used them before. They clearly will use them again. The Thai soldiers have every right to fight like with like.

ZOMG! just get it over & done with!

Exactly! Whatever is going to happen just get on with it so we can all start trying to get back to some kind of normality.

PS: To all our American friends, "normalcy" is NOT an acceptable English word. Stop b*astardising our lingo.!!

And "lingo" isn't?

Like many others here, I don't think that this "surrounding the Reds" is really going to happen. For one thing, it would just provoke violence, which will be used by pro-Red propagandists regardless of who started it or who really shot whom. For another, if you know that area, you know that there are dozens of little sois leading into and out of the area. Blocking them all would be almost impossible. Finally, the locals will serve as involuntary human shields if things really kick off.

The government has been patient and must continue being patient. If they move now, they will lose in the long run. If they just let the Reds continue being a pain in the neck, the next election will not be kind to the Pua Thai Party.

Well let's see. The government has been more than patient in my humble opinion. They can't let this drag on. Had this been China and may other places the Reds would have been forced out long ago. I hope that no one is killed,but if they are so stupid to think they can over throw the government which has the support of the police and army, they are mad.

Are you kidding? What makes you think he has the Army and Police? He has neither 100%. Where have you been?

Like many others here, I don't think that this "surrounding the Reds" is really going to happen. For one thing, it would just provoke violence, which will be used by pro-Red propagandists regardless of who started it or who really shot whom. For another, if you know that area, you know that there are dozens of little sois leading into and out of the area. Blocking them all would be almost impossible. Finally, the locals will serve as involuntary human shields if things really kick off.

The government has been patient and must continue being patient. If they move now, they will lose in the long run. If they just let the Reds continue being a pain in the neck, the next election will not be kind to the Pua Thai Party.

Well if they let them hang out in Camp Red for much longer, the next election won't be very kind to the Dems either.