High Speed Internet Access In Bangkok

Hutchenson

Hi there

I plan to be travelling to thailand on the 28th of this month, (for 3 months) and i have a few questions if u don't mind :o

I live in london and i'm a big fan of American tv shows. (which take ages to reach uk cable channels) I've got 2mb broadband, and i download the shows off the internet. (emule, bit-torrent, irc etc..) I'm going to be spending anything from upto 1 month, to 3 months in thailand, with about 1 week or so in bangkok. The thought of not staying uptodate with my latest shows is pretty painful. (yeah i know i'm sad)

Does anyone know an internet cafe that offers high speed internet access, (512k and above) and also where your able to access quite freely, as in no ports are blocked. One other thing, the computers will have to have either a cd re-writer, or dvd re-writer so that once i've downloaded the shows, i can burn them, then play them when i get back to my hotel room. (on my laptop)

If anyone knows such an internet cafe, could you pls let me know (with the exact address if possible) as this would help me a great deal.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Good luck! One thing I find in Thailand which you will have to look out for is that the speed they "claim" is NOT the speed you will get. I have traveled around Thailand for about 3 years now and have never had the speed match what was claimed anywhere here. I am from the US and the speeds they state are generally the "lowest" speed you'll get (you might get higher, but you should never get lower unless there is a problem). In Thailand it's the oposite--they post the highest speed which you will NEVER get.

Another thing, i'm probably gonna be spending a few nights in the marriot hotel, and they offer high speed internet access in the rooms. Does anyone know anything about that? As in how do they charge for the service, or is free and unlimited.

A number of hotels offer hs internet in the rooms, some included in the cost of the room. There is a list of these somewhere and one of the next posters may have that for you. Also, did you try the search engine here ?

On soi 4 on the right side is an I cafe that allows connection to their hs internet ports for a fee, but I cannot see any sense in doing this if you can get access in your room. You are staying for a month so you will get a good rate.

If you are a high roller, President Solitaire can be had for 60,000B/month which includes internet I believe. First class place. Very plush. Also Emporium Suites has hs I in the room I believe.