All New Fiestaaaaaaaaa

To those Fiesta fans out there I kindly ask you when can we expect to see the sale of the new Fiesta in Thailand?

The g/f wants to stick with a Honda for our first car but I want a Fiesta..

Anybody have any information about the cost of these? I'm hoping it will be the same as a Jazz otherwise the g/f wins and it will be a Honda sitting on the drive instead of my choice..

Bookings are being accepted now (in fact I booked one for the wife over 6 weeks ago) with first deliveries expected in August.

There's also a "million kilometer" campaign underway with a (very dirty) green Fiesta stopping by Ford dealerships around the country - contact your local dealer to find out when it'll be in you area if you want a closer/in the flesh look.

More info on Fiesta models and pricing in my (no longer updated) "new cars" thread here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3401391

here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3434401

and here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3451373

At the Motor Show they were asking for a refundable 5000B "booking" fee to get ones name on the delivery list.

I suggest if you really want one get on the list. If you decide not to you can get the money back. Caveat emptor

Obviously very similar to Mazda 2 but can be had with 6 speed sequential auto box. Alas no diesel for economy minded drivers.

At the Motor Show they were asking for a refundable 5000B "booking" fee to get ones name on the delivery list.

1,000 Baht was enough for ours.

Obviously very similar to Mazda 2

Except for entirely different engines, gearboxes, traction control, voice-controlled USB + bluetooth audio system, higher level trims throughout, and totally different body, yeah I can see the resemblance, hehe :)

Bookings are being accepted now (in fact I booked one for the wife over 6 weeks ago) with first deliveries expected in August.

There's also a "million kilometer" campaign underway with a (very dirty) green Fiesta stopping by Ford dealerships around the country - contact your local dealer to find out when it'll be in you area if you want a closer/in the flesh look.

More info on Fiesta models and pricing in my (no longer updated) "new cars" thread here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3401391

here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3434401

and here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3451373

Great thread Moon, lots of inside information there and if those prices are correct just over 700k for the fully loaded model :) ; wonder how I can swing this one past the g/f. However, I did see the total sales figures for Ford during the motorshow - quite a poor number of units being sold.

Are thai people simply that unassured when clasping eyes on anything that has a ford badge on it? I thought the sales figures for the Fiesta would have done much better than what the total figures reveal. I really hope this car does well for Ford here in Thailand.

1.99% interest isn't bad; I think Honda has 2.99% over 5 years.

However, I did see the total sales figures for Ford during the motorshow - quite a poor number of units being sold.

Are thai people simply that unassured when clasping eyes on anything that has a ford badge on it? I thought the sales figures for the Fiesta would have done much better than what the total figures reveal. I really hope this car does well for Ford here in Thailand.

There's a number of factors at play with the show results, and Ford's TH image in general:

1. A general reluctance for anyone to book something 5-6 months in advance of availability - it's not a Ferrari or an Aston after all :D Not even Honda could get away with delivery times like this.

2. Thailand's Ford dealership network is in an abysmal state. The dealerships are old, small and dirty with service departments that look worse than the average Thai grease-monkey's shop.

3. Ford have been thoroughly unsuccessful in building a good brand image in TH. Their marketing is almost non-existant and when you do come across it, poorly conceived and implemented. Of course their dealership network doesn't do anything for their image either.

Thankfully, Ford TH isn't responsible for product development :)

The new Fiesta and the (IMHO, way too delayed) new Focus are exactly the right kind of products to allow the correct management to re-invent the brand in Thailand, the question is whether they can capitalize on it..

However, I did see the total sales figures for Ford during the motorshow - quite a poor number of units being sold.

There's a number of factors at play with the show results, and Ford's TH image in general:

1. A general reluctance for anyone to book something 5-6 months in advance of availability - it's not a Ferrari or an Aston after all :D Not even Honda could get away with delivery times like this.

2. Thailand's Ford dealership network is in an abysmal state. The dealerships are old, small and dirty with service departments that look worse than the average Thai grease-monkey's shop.

Hi Moon,

These comments highlighted in red are actually quite serious causes for the sudden alarm bells going off inside my head. I am going to have to ask the obvious question here: what happenes when there is a problem with these Fiesta's? and going by what you said about the service depts' I am very concerned about their ability to handle a service let alone change any major engine component when the time comes.

The second comment in red really does raise the eyebrows up a further notch. If you have an outside group primarily responsible for the production of this vehicle, who then are left to pick up the pieces when these cars reach an age when problems start occuring?

This could effect any potential re-sale of this car greatly as most of the service depts' - as you described them - seem incapable and simple not up to the job.

Just out of interest would you rate Honda's service dept above Ford's?

Hi Moon,

These comments highlighted in red are actually quite serious causes for the sudden alarm bells going off inside my head. I am going to have to ask the obvious question here: what happenes when there is a problem with these Fiesta's? and going by what you said about the service depts' I am very concerned about their ability to handle a service let alone change any major engine component when the time comes.

The second comment in red really does raise the eyebrows up a further notch. If you have an outside group primarily responsible for the production of this vehicle, who then are left to pick up the pieces when these cars reach an age when problems start occuring?

This could effect any potential re-sale of this car greatly as most of the service depts' - as you described them - seem incapable and simple not up to the job.

Just out of interest would you rate Honda's service dept above Ford's?

Ahh, see now you understand why Thai's shy away from the Blue oval :D

Appearances really are everything, and that's where Ford falls flat on it's face in Thailand IMHO. I'm sure there's the same levels of technical competance as any other major brand represented here (consider that my answer to your Honda Q BTW), but the overall presentation doesn't do anything to make you believe that's the case.

Shell and Caltex are other fantastic examples of this - there's no argument (is there?) that their technology and products are superior, but Thailand's favorite gas station is PTT. Visit enough PTT's, Caltex's and Shell's and you'll soon see why - again, it's all about presentation.

As for my product development dig, that was aimed at Ford TH management, which I'm sure you've already ascertained I don't have a lot of faith in :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Ahh, see now you understand why Thai's shy away from the Blue oval :D

Appearances really are everything, and that's where Ford falls flat on it's face in Thailand IMHO. I'm sure there's the same levels of technical competance as any other major brand represented here (consider that my answer to your Honda Q BTW), but the overall presentation doesn't do anything to make you believe that's the case.

Shell and Caltex are other fantastic examples of this - there's no argument (is there?) that their technology and products are superior, but Thailand's favorite gas station is PTT. Visit enough PTT's, Caltex's and Shell's and you'll soon see why - again, it's all about presentation.

As for my product development dig, that was aimed at Ford TH management, which I'm sure you've already ascertained I don't have a lot of faith in :D

Thank you Moon,

I am now starting to understand the whole concept a little better now concerning the purchasing of a veichle in Thailand now and totally understand your point about "appreances being everything."

You are clearly an intellectual on these matters and from reading your previous posts to fellow members out there I think it's a fair conclusion that you simply know what you are talking about. For this reason, if you have bought a Fiesta, I am inclined to follow suit and do the same (wanted one anyway).

Now I just have to persuade the other half to break the traditional ranks of Thai society and go with the Ford. If I let her pick the colour this might soften her reluctance slightly :) .

Note to Thaivisa: Moon for an admin position.

You are clearly an intellectual on these matters and from reading your previous posts to fellow members out there I think it's a fair conclusion that you simply know what you are talking about. For this reason, if you have bought a Fiesta, I am inclined to follow suit and do the same (wanted one anyway).

I'm willing to buy the product on it's merit, and am also willing to take the resale hit. Don't let me make any decisions for you though! :D

Now I just have to persuade the other half to break the traditional ranks of Thai society and go with the Ford. If I let her pick the colour this might soften her reluctance slightly :) .

On that front, it may be worthwhile scoping out the Ford dealerships within range, and only talking her to the best presented of them all.. It also may not be a bad idea to pre-arm her with some retorts for the inevitable jibes she'll get from her Thai friends as well - while that sounds like a joke, it was a strategy that worked well for me when I (buddha forbid) bought a Mitsubishi :D

Note to Thaivisa: Moon for an admin position.

Appreciate the plug, but I'm pretty certain my professional skillset would be misplaced here :D

As for the fiesta, would there be rear disc kit available for it? I noted it has rear drums, even on the top model (hope I'm wrong). Also there seems to be a performance kit available for it in the UK (to give over 140 hp). Wonder if that would be available here at a later date? That should make it a pretty quick car. Actually its already quick (based on some youtube videos of a manual version, the 0-100, 0-400 times are similar, or a little quicker than a civic 2.0!)

Apart from resale, I don't see why anyone would buy a jazz instead of the fiesta. Really wanna see the diesel version here too sometime!

As for the fiesta, would there be rear disc kit available for it? I noted it has rear drums, even on the top model (hope I'm wrong). Also there seems to be a performance kit available for it in the UK (to give over 140 hp). Wonder if that would be available here at a later date? That should make it a pretty quick car. Actually its already quick (based on some youtube videos of a manual version, the 0-100, 0-400 times are similar, or a little quicker than a civic 2.0!)

Apart from resale, I don't see why anyone would buy a jazz instead of the fiesta. Really wanna see the diesel version here too sometime!

There's currently no rear disc kit on the local market of course, but the aftermarket will no doubt fill the void once/if sales have hit critical mass though - the same goes for body styling kits and other accessories. The Thai aftermarket usually starts delivering products around 6-12 months after initial car deliveries begin.

The popular UK performance kits (140HP Mountune, 150HP Pumaspeed) and the Ford Sweden 170HP supercharger kit will all have to wait until they have ECU remaps that'll work with the (Thai debut) 6-speed powershift box. Unfortunately I don't have any info at all on if/when UK and European Fiesta's will be getting the DSG however (nor do Puma or Mountune BTW).

The only other reason you'd buy a Jazz over a Fiesta (outside of resale as you pointed out) would be interior space and versatility - nothing touches the Jazz on that point. Why you'd buy a Mazda2 or Yaris over a Fiesta is a much better argument to have, hehe :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis