US, UK Closes Embassies In Thailand, 'Very Concerned' About Violence

george

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The government has to continue to have a dialogue with the demonstrators and they need to reach an agreement on a path forward," Crowley said. Another idiotic statement from US Embassy. The government had a deal with the "demonstrators" and the "demonstrators" backed out. To call a paramilitary group with an armed redoubt in the middle of Bangkok for 40 days demonstrators is absurd. I applaud the Prime Minister for his patience in trying to resolve the situation but it is now beyond doubt that the red shirts are people who can not be trusted and it is time for the "demonstration" to end.

Funny to hear this coming from an American

Aren't they the leaders of "we do not negotiate with terrorists?"

'Seems significant that after all this time, the two embassies now decide to close (not really "closing" as in ambassadors being recalled; more like suspending services to their nationals as I read it). Maybe they have knowledge of something imminent that the public doesn't. Or maybe the shooting of Seh Daeng points to escalating violence to come. Or maybe the unrest is just reaching down in that direction and they're concerned about the safety of constituents trying to conduct routine business.

Suspect these two embassies have closed due to their

close proximity to the protest site on wireless road.

Not sure where on wireless the US one is but the UK

embassy is a stone throw from up wirelss from one of

the tire barricades at Ploenchit BTS.

Suspect it is more out of concern for their workers

safety getting to and from work or even being invaded

It would be wise for both sides to ask for and use (perhaps privately so Thailand can save face as an independent nation) the assistance of USA mediation -- after all, a country like the USA which has 250+ years of experience in democracy may have some good experience and ideas; whereas Thailand has less than 80 years, and all of it fraught with coups, tension, and conflict. Thailand should realize it is in the infancy of democracy and needs to understand how to deal with it.

:)

This is a joke right? America are you serious just look at the bloody mess they have the rest of world in. I think I will go with the Nth Koreans before the bloody yanks. :D

What sort of contribution is that? Like she was going to die in a hail of bullets if she stayed? What do you reckon the risk factor is? Statistically if you got her out before Songkran that would have been a far more sensible thing to do.

Good thing I got my wife over here (USA) before this went down.

I said this before, and I can say it again. This is not the end of story.

Thailand needs a real change. In internal policies. The upper classes naturally want to retain control, but can not. The lower classes can not afford to continue putting up with social injustice. The gap between the tiny minority and vast majority is too big, too obvious and can not be masked by traditional methods used in the past.

Calls for Democracy are futile. This country is not ready for it.

Calls for hard line are futile. A lot of blood will be spilt. But this will not bring the change.

Calls for yet another military coup are futile. Thais had too many, with no change in sight.

I am neither 'red', nor 'yellow'.

I do not have the solution.

Accurate summary of the situation, in my opinion, and I imagine Abhisit would agree - including "I do not have the solution".

It would be wise for both sides to ask for and use (perhaps privately so Thailand can save face as an independent nation) the assistance of USA mediation -- after all, a country like the USA which has 250+ years of experience in democracy may have some good experience and ideas; whereas Thailand has less than 80 years, and all of it fraught with coups, tension, and conflict. Thailand should realize it is in the infancy of democracy and needs to understand how to deal with it.

:)

This is a joke right? America are you serious just look at the bloody mess they have the rest of world in. I think I will go with the Nth Koreans before the bloody yanks. :D

Good luck with that

Stupid to close the embassy. No threats have been directed to them. Its totally a Thai matter. Reminds me of the City of Austin cancelling all trips to Arizona because Arizona has a new law allowing local police to ask for proof of citizenship when there is reason to believe the person is not a US citizen and there is trouble. Too much politically incorrect baloney going on in the world. The US embassy needs to be open until the Thais tell us to close it.

Perhaps all you "experts" on TVF from the USA and elsewhere need some education. Here goes:

America is not the USA. America is a continent.

America includes North America, Middle America, and South America.

The USA (or US) is located in North America. US citizens live in the USA. All people who live in the Americas are Americans (e.g. Canadians, Hondurans, Cubans, Brazilians, Chileans, etc.).

The embassies probably have good reason for closing. Anyway, have fun bashing the countries who close their embassies. Apparently you have nothing better to do.

The PM has to step down, he is the one who cannot be trusted.

The so calles Red shirts are only trying to their rights.

Two completely ridiculous sentences. What else can I say?

The red shirts don't give a **** about 'rights', in case you hadn't noticed, otherwise it would have been like any other civil, 'peaceful', 'democratic' protests around the world right from the start - with the protestors making their point and heading back to their homes. If they understood 'rights', they wouldn't still be there now, dragging their country back into the third world via civil war for a few thousand baht a head.

Thank you Oh Great America. What would we do without your guidance? :)

Every time your ass is in the vise you come running and begging to us Yanks.

With out us you be speaking German right now :D

And you did not join in until Dec 1941 when the Japs attacked Pearl Harbour.

Mr Winston Churchill was very happy. You also made a lot of money out of it.

QUOTE (BkkMD @ 2010-05-14 02:41:14) *

Thank you Oh Great America. What would we do without your guidance? laugh.gif

With out us you be speaking German right now laugh.gif

Was ist los? Du bist spienst?

Hey, I am 100% American and speak every language there is.. nothing wrong with knowledge kumquat...

It's called MONEY.. and yes.. these Thai all think they know it all and if they did.. what are they still playing this waiting game?? Go in.. cut the heads off all the snakes.. give all those poor Esan people good spankings, a good bath, and good meals Then bus tickets home to new jobs worth going home to as well.. They are only here because it is such a dead end there.. But Thai people are good people who as we all know never learned common sense in the school systems here.

If a Thai had common sense.... none of this would be happening would it...

Very well said hardy1943. I think they forget.

I was in two frames of mind whether septics really were poorly educated self opinionated morons, after reading this they have made my mind up for me.

Get a book and read some history it will do your under worked brains the world of good.

Watching endless repeats of Happy Days and Grease has done you no favours whatsoever.

Edited by streetlife

Ah, democracy US-style...

Do you mean like George W, got into power the first time having lost both the electoral and the popular vote?

Or are you referring to the fact that they threw out the British?

Or the conflict between North and South?

Or to the fact that they wiped out as many of the Indian tribes?

Or to the use of slaves?

Wouldn't think Thailand needs that kind of solution. The USA has many great qualities, and I have close family who are American, but your suggestion is not a good one.

Please tell me you're trying to be funny or are trying to make a point about any of these things?......Are you a Brit? Hogwash-all.

The American solution would be very simple and quick. Simply carpet bomb the country destroy everything and if people get in the way that is thier problem. Two days problem solved. The yanks would then wander around patting themselves on the back saying how they saved another country from ruins. I don't think Thaialand is ready for the brutality of the USA.

Do you mean like George W, got into power the first time having lost both the electoral and the popular vote?

Or to the use of slaves?

Wouldn't think Thailand needs that kind of solution. The USA has many great qualities, and I have close family who are American, but your suggestion is not a good one.

Keep talking about the great abuses committed by the US...Do you recall the manner in which the British treated the Indian people? Thankfully for you that you are not speaking German today.

Nothing wrong with speaking German. I believe only one vote decided which language the USA would adopt as its national language and the language which missed out was German.Anyway I suggest you learn Spanish as it will the USA's language of the majority in the near future.As always "GOD" bless America.

I believe you have no idea what u are talking about. There is NO official language in the USA, and trust me, if there was one, would would not select a language spoken by a former enemy.

This USA embassy temporary closure is a neutrality move designed to show that the USA is deliberately taking a neutral position and not becoming publicly involved because they, like all of Thailand's best allies have a strong interest in a stable, democratic Thai society. It would be wise for both sides to ask for and use (perhaps privately so Thailand can save face as an independent nation) the assistance of USA mediation -- after all, a country like the USA which has 250+ years of experience in democracy may have some good experience and ideas; whereas Thailand has less than 80 years, and all of it fraught with coups, tension, and conflict. Thailand should realize it is in the infancy of democracy and needs to understand how to deal with it.

If Thailand is ever to be respected by the international community, it must show STABILITY, CONSISTENCY, PEACE and the ability to quickly and peacefully resolve internal conflicts. There must never be any more violence between Thais vs. Thais ever, or else poor Thailand will be forever ridiculed and distrusted by worldwide investors, tourists, and even its own citizens who could otherwise build Thailand into first world country. If Thai people could ever look at the big picture and consider that, perhaps privately, they could take advantage of the wise consul of elder statesmen from democracies oldest bastions they could much more effectively resolve these current issues.

Hear Hear!!

As an interested observer I really do hope that this will sort itself out sooner rather than later

Even if the government does go in and forcibly break this up, the root cause will still remain and the reds will just go away(for now) and rear their head again at a later date.

Democracy doesn't happen overnight and the USA is no exception with the civil war in it's early days. But moving forward to today and it's just as the name says, The UNITED states of America, not The DIVIDED states of America

The American solution would be very simple and quick. Simply carpet bomb the country destroy everything and if people get in the way that is thier problem. Two days problem solved. The yanks would then wander around patting themselves on the back saying how they saved another country from ruins. I don't think Thaialand is ready for the brutality of the USA.

Yep, it is simply amazing the amount of destructive force we have at our finger tips.

yes absolutely, especially in respec tof financial atters adn international diplomacy, the worlds sheriff,,really has shown how it can get "positive" results,,,, when do the US bombers arrive ????

Perhaps all you "experts" on TVF from the USA and elsewhere need some education. Here goes:

The USA (or US) is located in North America. US citizens live in the USA. All people who live in the Americas are Americans (e.g. Canadians, Hondurans, Cubans, Brazilians, Chileans, etc.).

The embassies probably have good reason for closing. Anyway, have fun bashing the countries who close their embassies. Apparently you have nothing better to do.

WTFAU??? That is WHO THE "FORK" ARE YOU?

Sorry MuyThai I disagree..

When I grew up in AMERICA in 1947-1965 (18 years) before Uncle Sam shipped me off to fight for the so-called freedom of America..

America is the USA...nothing more....

America includes North America,... BULLSHIT

Middle America, ... You mean "MIDDLE EARTH" ...MORE BS

and South America. I'M LAUGHING NOW!!

The USA (or US) is located in North America. US citizens live in the USA. WOW..GENIUS IS SPEAKING

All people who live in the Americas are Americans ...APPARENTLY THIS GUY HAS NEVER BEEN TO ANY OF THESE PLACES TO ASK THEM WHAT THEY THINK...I HAVE.. and have lived in all!!

(e.g. Canadians, Hondurans, Cubans, Brazilians, Chileans, etc.). NONE OF THESE PEOPLE EVER CALL THEMSELVES AMERICANS...are you crazy???

Apparently you have nothing better to do...

Apparently you have had nothing to do at all in what you are saying...your eaten today??

As a fellow Brit,

you embarrass me. Your yank envy is palpable.

Or to the use of slaves?

Actually, we are all taught in the American schools that Canada is not in or part of America. America, singularly, is the U.S., because it is the only country with America in its name. Canada, USA and Mexico make up North America. There is Central America with several countries, and South America with several countries. When referring to them all, they are called The Americas because of the continents they are on, which were named after Amerigo Vespucci, the first to include the continents on the maps and world globes of his time.

For you nickpickers, when any non American asks an American, where they come from and the answer is "America", how many then ask, "Oh, which country in America?" :)

Example; Canadians will not tell you they are Americans. They will admit they are North Americans

Brazilians are not Americans, but will concur they are South Americans.

I think we get another coup. Condolence for the death's family.How many more?

Yes that might happen, and it would be a rather violent one, the reds will of course not be able to hold its position against the army and will have to leave the occupied area, but it will not solve the political problem at all, there is the possibility that the core of the reds might then continue their protests underground which would result into a more dangerous and a more violent situation perhaps similar to that in the south.

There is also the possibility that the army leadership is divided in this matter, the mass of the red protesters are ordinary Thai people with sons and daughters in the army, the front line troop commanders are aware of this and might look for a different solution, in any event lets hope so.

Thaksins Red Terrorists get what they have asked for, they are just a small fraction of the Thai people, lazy, and violent, the way they

behaved for the last 2 months shows clearly what they are after - anarchy in its worst art.

My respect to the Prime Minister who did a good Job by keeping it cool. Where is that coward Thaksin? If he would be a man he would show up. All he did payed the human Garbage to feed is hunger for power and money.

The Color Red will be for the next couple of months a color better not to be worn.

I believe you have no idea what u are talking about. There is NO official language in the USA, and trust me, if there was one, would would not select a language spoken by a former enemy.

As a matter of fact, Congress, after the newly formed government/country, debated just that issue, a national language. There was much emotional feelings against adopting officially, the language of England, who they just had a revolution against and won their freedom from. By this time there were many languages spoken in the colonies. Many wanted no "strings" attached to Britain. The colonies comprised of many immigrants of European nationalities. There were circumstances at the time that made German a very viable option, and make note, this was in the 1700's, not the 1940's. Germany wasn't an enemy at the time. There was a vote and English did win out over German by one vote.

Very well said hardy1943. I think they forget.

forget, know! i think you old chaps from the otherside of the pond are the ones suffering from memory lapse.

was it or was it not for the fact, that if the japs hadnt bombed the crap out of you at pearl harbour. youd still be sitting or your backsides and still giving hitler the benefit of the doubt. world war 2 started in 1939 and it took you how long for the penny to drop and get your act into gear. :D

That's exactly right! I'm sure my uncles (British) who died fighting in Europe pre 1942 are so happy that the Yanks came and saved the world. I've never met an American here yet that wasn't full of their, or their countries self importance. I often ask why if their country is so perfect that they left?

Actually, we are all taught in the American schools that Canada is not in or part of America. America, singularly, is the U.S., because it is the only country with America in its name. Canada, USA and Mexico make up North America. There is Central America with several countries, and South America with several countries. When referring to them all, they are called The Americas because of the continents they are on, which were named after Amerigo Vespucci, the first to include the continents on the maps and world globes of his time.

For you nickpickers, when any non American asks an American, where they come from and the answer is "America", how many then ask, "Oh, which country in America?" :)

Example; Canadians will not tell you they are Americans. They will admit they are North Americans

Brazilians are not Americans, but will concur they are South Americans.

A really GREAT post...When many of the Thai people ask me "Where you from?" I always stand up proud and tall and say "MINNESOTA!" (With a Swedish accent)...Then I sit down.. They each and everyone of them will say..."Where is that?" I try to look as puzzled as I can and start a invisible map showing California over there and NYC over there... and then they all say the same....auuuugh.. AMERICA!!!

John Wayne would simple say to all of that..yup! you all a bunch of very silly wabbits today..

But Americans do not speak English. They don't pronounce or spell words from the English language correctly.

What sort of contribution is that? Like she was going to die in a hail of bullets if she stayed? What do you reckon the risk factor is? Statistically if you got her out before Songkran that would have been a far more sensible thing to do.
Good thing I got my wife over here (USA) before this went down.

Common now this is a great comment

As long as he is happy and his wife is safe

why wold he care about the rest of Thailand?

Shows a lot about himself