Journalists In Firing Line In Thai Clashes

webfact

You are quickly forgetting the guy driving the van with a women and child in it tried to drive right through a check point. These check points are well lit. Maybe he was scared or maybe he didn't see it or maybe he was drunk. Nobody knows. It s just a sad, sad situation, but not to be politicized

Driver was reported to be drunk.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one being shot at, missile'd or on the receiving end of bits of concrete or marble from sling shots will adhere to any order of 'rules of engagement'. Self defense and attack are paramount for survival. If any civilian is carrying a weapon, they are a threat and now a target.

But check the background on your 'reporter' incident as he was last week praising the reds calling their movement a Red 'Bastille' Revolution for Thailand so as a sympathizer and within their ranks, now he calls foul about getting shot! He got what he deserved.

An unarmed reporter.. Got "what he deserved' by being shot multiple times..

Unreal !!

They unreal because live in country they don't understand.

If look at real facts that all can agree even yellows.

Now, there is army on streets shooting and killing people. forget why, they are there so something is very very wrong with this government if people are prepare to die to get rid of it.

So idiots can forget about thaksin paying them all. is only propaganda

FACT, Army are on streets!

Comply with the law and there would be NO need for the army on the streets. You don't obey the rules, you get what your got. Army - som num na.

NO EXCUSE for shooting the Press they are not armed and this shows clearly that the engagement rules are pure BULLSHIT those are live rounds only used in self defense or shoot an armed red shirt or in the air

The french guy was shown on tv BEING SHOT multiple times he was not armed in any way and was on the floor form the first shot when he was shot twice more.

RIDICULOUS and do these abhisit monkeys really think people cant see clearly on TV that the solgiers are opening fire freely and without sticking to the so called rules of engagment of live fire

sorry but these people are putting them selves in the line of fire. the soliders have a job to do. i don't think they are going to change tactics because of media just aimless walking arround. chasing money shots. if they want to do iut up to them but if i know where there is going to be a gun fight and walk straight into the middle of it and get shot. then i would think to myself. ( if i was still alive) what the hel_l was i doing there. yes i could have got a money shot. or i could have been shot. if u take a chance a gamble then u might lose. these journolists know that. just annoys me when they blame everyone else when there job is to be nosey and get in the way

Soldier do theyr job? Really?

Good job shoot to everybody in front of them whitout problem, what you say we they will shoot at women or child?

CASUALITY??????????????????????

PS: if happen i will remember to you ok?

You are quickly forgetting the guy driving the van with a women and child in it tried to drive right through a check point. These check points are well lit. Maybe he was scared or maybe he didn't see it or maybe he was drunk. Nobody knows. It is just a sad, sad situation, but not to be politicized.

I talk about inside the red camp, a lot af women and child, than sorry to say but if i go there and i dont do nothings wrong and one soldier shoot to me...I try to " self defense" like them or im civilian and i cannot?

The old man in the van is dead in this moment.

But the soldier they cannot shoot at everybody, is wrong!

No one being shot at, missile'd or on the receiving end of bits of concrete or marble from sling shots will adhere to any order of 'rules of engagement'. Self defense and attack are paramount for survival. If any civilian is carrying a weapon, they are a threat and now a target.

But check the background on your 'reporter' incident as he was last week praising the reds calling their movement a Red 'Bastille' Revolution for Thailand so as a sympathizer and within their ranks, now he calls foul about getting shot! He got what he deserved.

Unreal !!

Khortort Khrup - "Nelson Rand" and yes - he got what he deserved. :)

TIPS to avoid being shot at, even rubber bullets:

- Don't dress like the worst trouble makers

- Don't stand next to the trouble makers

- Don't approach the army from the direction of the troublemakers

- Have your camera visible

Some fail at all 4.

But your comments calling soldiers monkeys - is way out of line. Have a look at the reds, even the baby boy waving at camera on the CNN report - is that an example of responsible parenting - taking a child into inevitable harms way? Think you need your head read as to who is what. :)

'

I was calling Abhisits press guy who went on TV to tell the world the engagement rules a monkey as right after even the BBC quoted it did not seem they were sticking to what he said

Are you suggesting that people with the wrong political views deserve to die?

The hospital reported he was SHOT 3 times once n the leg once in the midrift and one in the wrist 2 of those bullets hit him as he lay calling for help.

Before you go getting upset about it, how do you know he wasn't shot by reds? They've shot plenty of other people.

Dont say to us, say to CNN.

can you show me one civilian whit gun?

Edited by oceano

But your comments calling soldiers monkeys - is way out of line. Have a look at the reds, even the baby boy waving at camera on the CNN report - is that an example of responsible parenting - taking a child into inevitable harms way? Think you need your head read as to who is what. :)

'

I was calling Abhisits press guy who went on TV to tell the world the engagement rules a monkey as right after even the BBC quoted it did not seem they were sticking to what he said

Are you suggesting that people with the wrong political views deserve to die?

I would claim he is not a reporter, but more an 'reporting activist'.

Meet several using Twitter that reports very distorted events and highly selected images that proclaim they, amongst many things, are reporters for some papers back home. The downsizing on the staffs have lead to a lot of free-lancers making some extra cash...with dubious quality.

Meet several using Twitter that reports very distorted events and highly selected images that proclaim they, amongst many things, are reporters for some papers back home. The downsizing on the staffs have lead to a lot of free-lancers making some extra cash...with dubious quality.

ARE UNARMED CIVILIAN, or if i go there and take photo for myself is right they kill me? i was there 5 days ago was right sniper kill me? ops i do for somethings is not money but also if they do for "extra cash" is right someone kill otry kill them? really?

Come on go back on the human world.

ARE UNARMED CIVILIAN, or if i go there and take photo for myself is right they kill me? i was there 5 days ago was right sniper kill me? ops i do for somethings is not money but also if they do for "extra cash" is right someone kill otry kill them? really?

I am not sure what you are smoking, but did I say it was right to shoot anyone?

I do however in another post above highlight WHY mistakes can happen and how to avoid them.

I am not sure what you are smoking, but did I say it was right to shoot anyone?

I do however in another post above highlight WHY mistakes can happen and how to avoid them.

Malboro light, 20 per day...make me fly!

Sorry my mistake i read to fast and i connect your post whit the previous....

So sorry

:)

NO EXCUSE for shooting the Press they are not armed and this shows clearly that the engagement rules are pure BULLSHIT those are live rounds only used in self defense or shoot an armed red shirt or in the air

The french guy was shown on tv BEING SHOT multiple times he was not armed in any way and was on the floor form the first shot when he was shot twice more.

RIDICULOUS and do these abhisit monkeys really think people cant see clearly on TV that the solgiers are opening fire freely and without sticking to the so called rules of engagment of live fire

The French Reporter was wearing bluejeans civilian regular clothing no markings on him saying PRESS, the CNN Reporter wears a helmet, a bullet proof vest and a big sign on his chest saying PRESS.

"If you mess with the bull sometimes you get the horns"

Yawn, I am growing very tired of these sarcastic references to Abhisit, the army and the government here, they tried to end this insanity peacefully. The regular working class people that live in this area are fed up as are most other people here in Bangkok that have a brain in their head... The Reds need to think about what Gandhi achieved with non violent protest.

RIP those that died yesterday...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Rand

You are quickly forgetting the guy driving the van with a women and child in it tried to drive right through a check point. These check points are well lit. Maybe he was scared or maybe he didn't see it or maybe he was drunk. Nobody knows. It is just a sad, sad situation, but not to be politicized.

You have obviously not read the detailed report of the incident.

The driver was drunk, had a van load of red propaganda material (which the army did not know at the time of opening fire) and he gunned the engine to race at the army check point. He ignored army instructions to slow down and be checked. They opened fire at the tyres to stop the vehicle (standard SOP worldwide in such circumstances). Once it was stopped he was in the vehicle alone, but injured by one bullet to the abdomen.

Outside the vehicle and away from it, a woman and child were hit by bullets that had either missed the vehicle, ricocheted to them, or passes through the vehicle and travelled onwards. They were neither in the vehicle, nor associated with it. They were along the line of fire and beyond the point of aim. I doubt very much if they were even seen by the soldiers aiming at the vehicle - generally when shooting in such circumstances, you need a non-shooting colleague to be observing the surrounds and advising you of next target / new threat and so on. Your entire attention is on the target and point of aim.

Precision shooting, such as at the tyres of a high speed vehicle requires a lot of concentration and ignoring of distractions. Even the non-threat situation of shooting-range static target precision fire requires mental isolation from external distractions - try it sometime.

----

What is happening in Bangkok right now is the worst possible self-preservation situation for a journalist. You have multiple military units in varying uniform types. You also have armed civilians in the usual wide assortment of civilian garb, and paramilitary units in pseudo uniforms of a varying type. It is impossible to know what to wear to distinguish yourself as you move from flashpoint to flashpoint to get the news that is craved by all - including any addict to the ThaiVisa news boards - I have sometimes considered there should be a "dress of the day" (colour and style) posted by local news associations for journalists, or by authorities, but this too could be counter-productive as it could afford disguise to those the authorities are seeking, allowing them to penetrate restricted zones and perpetrate that with the authorities are seeking to prevent.

In this context all journalists are between a rock and a hard place. But never forget that the public's demand for news and footage from "the thick of the action" is what places news people in those locations - if you were all less demanding and bloodthirsty, we would not have to venture into those danger spots. WW2 and Vietnam, followed by events like the Falklands War set the public expectations for visual evidence of the text reports. In some ways the press created the rods for their own backs by doing such good jobs in theatres where the line between friend and foe was much clearer. Urbanised civilian insurrection is the murkiest of all waters from which to report, and therefore the most constantly hazardous to those reporting.

Please think about these things before callously throwing "som nam na" messages at my colleagues who have been injured or killed. Even non-accredited citizen journalists deserve kudos for bringing you the images and stories you devour. There are not enough registered journalists to be everywhere at once, and just like at a wedding, some of the best photography is captured by guests, not the professional hired to create the album.

Nelson Rand has lived in Southeast Asia for over ten years. He has worked as a freelance journalist, which has taken him to some of the most remote and little known conflict areas of the region, a subeditor for The Nation newspaper, and a political contractor for the Embassy of Canada in Thailand.

As I said...

How is reporters can go in Iran and pakistan and multiple other war zones in the world and not get shot. But first day of gunfight in Bangkok and a journalist gets shot once well standing and twice well down? Then people rationize saying he had it coming get a grasp on reality folks I also believe to be shot when down it had to be done by someone in immediate area.

The French Reporter was wearing bluejeans civilian regular clothing no markings on him saying PRESS, the CNN Reporter wears a helmet, a bullet proof vest and a big sign on his chest saying PRESS.

"If you mess with the bull sometimes you get the horns"

Yawn, I am growing very tired of these sarcastic references to Abhisit, the army and the government here, they tried to end this insanity peacefully. The regular working class people that live in this area are fed up as are most other people here in Bangkok that have a brain in their head... The Reds need to think about what Gandhi achieved with non violent protest.

RIP those that died yesterday...

Three or four residents of Bon Kai community near Lumpini Boxing Stadium were shot and injured by unidentified snipers Saturday morning, TNN reported.

The station said the snipers might be hiding on a deserted building on the side of the boxing stadium.

The residents were shot at their chest and were rushed to a hospital.

THE NATION: Jor Sor 100: Residents of Soi Ngam Duplee helped put out fire which protesters set to garbage truck. The fire was put out at 8:58 am.

and....ok.....kill everybody what the hel_l, civilian unarmed, resident, people dont carry weapon but also dont have sign, bad and stupid people!!!!! shoot all that move!!!!!!!!!!

Make the " apocalypse now"!!!!!!!!!!

PS: is sarcastic of course!

Rand Nelson, Rand! :)

How is reporters can go in Iran and pakistan and multiple other war zones in the world and not get shot. But first day of gunfight in Bangkok and a journalist gets shot once well standing and twice well down? Then people rationize saying he had it coming get a grasp on reality folks I also believe to be shot when down it had to be done by someone in immediate area.

Same reason an accredited and awarded journalist can report news for 30 years from warzones and then get killed in a car accident on his vacation...

Same reason an accredited and awarded journalist can report news for 30 years from warzones and then get killed in a car accident on his vacation...

now there are 3 shot i quess multiple car accedent huh

now there are 3 shot i quess multiple car accedent huh

Firstly, it's pretty clear that the policy of using live-ammunition only in self-defense is nonsense. Secondly, when 3 journalists are being shot in one day, it quite strongly suggest that there is a policy to scare them away.

Even though this guy was foolish in not taking more precautions for his personal safety, I believe there will be more innocent civilians being shot at. The Reds have already lost the PR war, so now previous rules of "conduct" are not necessarily in effect. Any means which works toward their goal of forcing down Abhisit and the government is acceptable, and sadly that includes attacking non-combat innocents. There were reports of some residents being targets of snipers this morning. All forms of chaos, lawlessness and disorder the Reds believe improves their chances in attaining their desired objective by heaping more pressure on Abhisit to quit. IMO

Edited by Lopburi99

blah blah blah please at least get the facts,the army does not use trained monkees

and its called front line reporting for a reason,or is this gonna be another poor reds troll fest

You are right! Comparing the Thai Military to trained monkeys is an insult to trained monkeys everywhere!

Even though this guy was foolish in not taking more precautions for his personal safety, I believe there will be more innocent civilians being shot at. The Reds have already lost the PR war, so now previous rules of "conduct" are not necessarily in effect. Any means which works toward their goal of forcing down Abhisit and the government is acceptable, and sadly that includes attacking non-combat innocents. There were reports of some residents being targets of snipers this morning. All forms of chaos, lawlessness and disorder the Reds believe improves their chances in attaining their desired objective by heaping more pressure on Abhisit to quit. IMO

You mean that sniper of red shoot at resident and thay shoot at the non-combat innocents?

I think all forget one thing, bangkok is not a war zone, are not soldiers from 2 country that fight, which hoter country use soldier whit war equipment for fight whit protestors and not "police"?

Is in the military rules shoot at civilian of theyr own country?

This are not security personel fight whit protestor this is like a city during vietnam war.

Edited by oceano

You mean that sniper of red shoot at resident and thay shoot at the non-combat innocents?

I don't know why those particular residents were targeted by snipers, but my point remains.

I don't know why those particular residents were targeted by snipers, but my point remains.

The first i see dead from a sniper was in one video of the cnn, a young man in white t-shirt, inside the red camp whit no weapon around him.

Unreal !!

Khortort Khrup - "Nelson Rand" and yes - he got what he deserved. :D

Another disgusting excuse for a human being. :)