Bring 2nd Hand Cars From Os...

The tax must be huge to import 2nd hand cars, trucks and bikes to Thailand.

As the cars and trucks are very expensive 2nd- brand new they approx the same.

Who knows the tax on complete cars to import to Thailand?

I cannot seem to get a reliable website to tell me- I have heard everything from 0 to 200%.

What is the rate and what is your source? Appreciated...

Also is there anyway to avoid the tax- broken car, bits missing, in parts, etc. Pull the wheels off and claim damaged one Expat tells me then free duty... he states he did it to a Big Bike. Yet unsure and do not wish to be slugged with a 100% tax once my Jeep from Aussie arrives.

The other thing I thought is it maybe dependant on whether you have a FREE TRADE agreement with Thailand and your home country???

Not sure. :)

there are heaps and heaps of prior threads on bringing in (or attempting to bring in) cars or bikes (whole or in pieces) ... just scroll back through the past 3-4 pages of thread topics to find some.

Some threads mention the official tax rates, but that means jack as the add-ons (=corruption) can be invented on the day depending on circumstances/phase of the moon, etc. They are certainly awake up to bringing in parts of big bikes .... even if it gets through OK, then try to get it registered when it's re-assembled ... anyhow check out the earlier threads and you can reach your own conclusion

Cheers

- CMB

www.burning-bison.com

wasnt there a scam going, where a car importer had a expensive ferrari minus the engine imported,and was charged a lower tax rate as it was deemed car parts, they then imported the engine, excise dept caught on and had the whole car crushed

wasnt there a scam going, where a car importer had a expensive ferrari minus the engine imported,and was charged a lower tax rate as it was deemed car parts, they then imported the engine, excise dept caught on and had the whole car crushed

Yes there was, but their scam was importing them with some key (read expensive) electronics removed, then letting it fall foul with customs where it'd move on the auctions and they'd buy it back for a snip. Then put the electronics back in them of course :)

The one you're referring to was crushed by Earthmoving equipment, and was widely televised. Kinda heartbreaking I must admit..