What Can I Make

Nickerelastic

Ok guys, just been to the supermarket and I want to learn to cook Thai food. Below is a list of ingredients

Beef

Pork

Lamb

Chicken

Prawns/frozen

Fresh

Chillies

Basil

Lemon Grass

Coriander

Garlic

Ginger

Pappaya

Pak choi

Avocado

Fine beans

sugarsnaps

Mangetout

limes

lemons

kaffir lime leaves

sweet potatoes

Coconut, fresh and dessicated.

And all the usual salad and root veg veg

I've also got a whole range of indian spices, seeds and ground.

Nam Plah

Dark soy sauce

Mushroom soy sauce

Special Sweet Soy sauce

Tamarind paste, mamaSita's brand

Red Thai paste, May Ploy brand

Coconut milk

Coconut Butter

Egg noodles fine and medium

Rice noodles

Thai fragrant rice

basmati rice

I couldn't get sticky rice or palm sugar...could I substitute honey, brown or muscavado sugar?

If you can be bothered would you mind posting some recipes that your Thai partner cooks with these ingredients.

Cheers Nickerelastic :o

Ok guys, just been to the supermarket and I want to learn to cook Thai food. Below is a list of ingredients

Beef

basmati rice

All that and you forgot a cookbook? :o

I think if you surf a bit, you can find several cookbooks and recipes online.

Smart answer :o

I have loads of cookery book and I've have spent a lot of time surfing the net. :D

I don't want an interpretation of Thai food.

Thank you for you reply.

All that and you forgot a cookbook?  :D

I think if you surf a bit, you can find several cookbooks and recipes online.

PADKAPOW GAI

yet another term/phrase I will have to look up.

Life is one long learning process :D

Ajarn, a member here at TV, has recepies for thai cooking but they are on a website. :D:o

Maybe if your nice he will show up or you could PM him. He could suggest the best recepies from his website, eh? :D

aughie[/b],2005-06-12 01:41:11]

Not to be a smart ass but what makes you think his recipes are bastardized, bub? :D What makes you think that his wife can't cook nor his mother-in-law? Verily you know nothing about them. buh bye  :o  :D  :D

Wife can't cook joke forum

aughie Your query is neither here nor there.

Thank you for replying

Is there such a place in Scotland?

Not sure about up north, but I think if you feel like a road trip this summer, come to the Thai food festival at London Battersea Park (circa late July, early August) and you can probably get lots of ideas and advice. Cheers!

nicker...

i asked same same:

most REAL thai cooking doesnt use recipes: they put some of whatever they have on hand (or whatever they brought down with the slingshot), mix with whatever herbs are growing in the garden or they got from the super, add fish sauce and sugar (a must) and lots of the little red dinky chilis.... make several different dishes and make khao jao or sticky rice... and eat up...

i've been eating thai food for three years breakfast lunch and dinner and i live in israel; my thai worker (and friend) cooks at work, or i eat with the other thai workers and i watch what they do... (they are issaan mostly so lot of raw liver, chpped meat (laap), doves, sparrows, other wild caught stuff, )... i try using recipes from the net as a guideline but really all the good sites will tell u, trial and error and personal taste are the guidelines.... as someone else here posted -- i think here -- its not like making a cake where u must have the exact amounts of any given ingredient....

after three years of watching and eating, i've started using my own garden (thai veggies), and making mly own, (honed down to my childrens' palates)... besides, after eating meals made by 13 different people every week, even the same recipe is different, depending on who is doing the cooking, from what area, and what he prefers: bitter (khom), salty, sweet, priou (sour), etc

just cook away, i've yet to eat home cooked food that wasnt edible and tasty....

dara sent me a recipe, and i used a few from different sites and they are not western adapted bla bla bla.... (except that they dont list porcupine or wild fox as an ingredient)