Sukhumvit Road Area

minoz

Have a look at the below link.

A map of the dangerous areas at the moment. The thing that worries me if the protesters want to they can come

straight down Ratchadaphisek, Asoke to Petchaburi. This would enclose all of Sukhumvit from Nana to Asoke, Rama 4 to Petchaburi inclusive.

This would make a huge area of instability. I live in this area.

I would suggest you stay well outside these areas.

Stay safe.

http://maps.google.co.th/maps/ms?hl=en&amp...077162&z=14

Are you both mad. Embassys are telling people not to go to Thailand never mind Bangkok and you are arriving soon.Braindead comes to mind

What do you suggest I do then? You know nothing about my situation, so I don't see how you are in a position to comment about it.

So I take it you don't know what the situation is like around Sukhumvit, so your comment is even more worthless.

FO advice is always over the top. If part of a city is unsafe, they will advise not to go to any part of the city. That is just not good advice.

I have also read of Brits who live there and still feel very safe. If they feel safe, there's no reason that I shouldn't feel safe.

All I'm asking is what it's like in a particular area.

OK, to answer the questions (and obviously this is a purely personal assessment and any travel plans that you make will be on your own best judgement):

Sukhumvit Soi 2 is close to the Ploenchit perimeter. There have, apparently, been some issues in The Nana area already, and I have seen that some of the smaller businesses around Soi 3 and Soi 4 have decided to close down as a precaution. My fear would be that if there is a 'crack down' then the Sukhumvit/Ploenchit interchange might become an overspill area for the troubles. There are plenty of other tailor shops and bars further up Sukhumvit, as well as several hotels to choose from.

Soi 23 is very quiet right now, although it is relatively close to the PM's house. Everything is open here; the only real difference is the drop off in customers, and the reduction in the numbers of 'street people' and motorcycle taxi drivers loitering around the Soi Cowboy area, so actually a bit of an improvement. BTW, I live on 23, so have little choice in the 'should I stay or should I go' stakes.

The overall situation in Bangkok remains unpredictable, to say the least. Sukhumvit has been the scene for several Red motorcades in the past weeks; these are probably a thing of the past, but who can tell?

It is up to you whether or not you still want to come to Bangkok. As one respondent said, Pattaya might be a better option (it is extremely hot here, in addition to the political and safety issues, so the beach might be better). If you do come to Bangkok, any avoidance tactics should be at the personal level. Simply stay away from any known trouble spots, and don't interact with any demonstrators from any of the factions. Some visitors seem to believe that the demonstrations are a form of tourist attraction, or even that they themselves can contribute to the cause. That is their prerogative, but I would NOT encourage any such activity.

Finally: One of the other respondents on this thread raised a very valid point. Many of the bar and service staff in both Nana and Cowboy and beyond are Red-aligned or even -activists. A good move is therefore to avoid discussion of the current political situation when you are out and about, even within your group of friends, and especially don't try to debate the topic with any locals that you may meet in these areas. There is no point. Just try to live with this temporary restriction on your Freedom of Speech, and talk about something else (e.g. how nice Thai food is, football, etc., etc.). This advice also covers any interaction that you may have with taxi drivers.

I hope these opinions are in some way helpful to you in your making your own decisions. Stay safe!

Thanks for this. Just what I was looking for. I really appreciate that there are some people who will take the time to explain the situation so that I can make an informed decision. Stupid one liners that don't even attempt to answer the question aren't helpful at all. The reason I need to come to BKK is because my gf's UK visa has expired. I have already booked the flights and hotel and we have already sent our belongings by sea freight. Contract is signed to let my flat. Her family is in BKK, so that is her home. So really I don't have too much choice. Yes, I could leave her go on her own but I'm not that type of guy. We are a couple and sort things out together. From lots of the replies it seems like I will be fine. Yes, things could kick off, but then I'll just move a bit further out. I don't want to go to Pattaya like some have suggested. There is nothing there for either of us, so why would we want to go there?

Once again, thanks for all the sensible replies.

Have a look at the below link.

A map of the dangerous areas at the moment. The thing that worries me if the protesters want to they can come

straight down Ratchadaphisek, Asoke to Petchaburi. This would enclose all of Sukhumvit from Nana to Asoke, Rama 4 to Petchaburi inclusive.

This would make a huge area of instability. I live in this area.

I would suggest you stay well outside these areas.

Stay safe.

http://maps.google.co.th/maps/ms?hl=en&amp...077162&z=14

Thanks for the map. That's a great help. It's much easier to tell where all the trouble is.

I was out drinking last night and went to Soi 4 which is just around the corner, I had a couple of beers then went into the Nana disco.

I left the disco when it closed and got a taxi home no problem.

It did seem a bit quiet for a Saturday night.

Are you both mad. Embassys are telling people not to go to Thailand never mind Bangkok and you are arriving soon.Braindead comes to mind

What do you suggest I do then? You know nothing about my situation, so I don't see how you are in a position to comment about it.

So I take it you don't know what the situation is like around Sukhumvit, so your comment is even more worthless.

FO advice is always over the top. If part of a city is unsafe, they will advise not to go to any part of the city. That is just not good advice.

I have also read of Brits who live there and still feel very safe. If they feel safe, there's no reason that I shouldn't feel safe.

All I'm asking is what it's like in a particular area.

suk 2, 4 and near areas are quite safe for NOW.....i hope it doesnot spill over. heard that government is about to announce curfew...follow bangkokpost.com

I'm learning not to be shocked by the rudeness of some people on this forum. But rude is rude. Sadly JMS your negative attitude walks with you. Day and night...

As for the situation here on Sukhumvit. I'm staying on soi 15 and this morning I walked down to soi 2. Yes there are a number of well armed solders but I didn't feel unsafe. I met a couple of people who live in the area and they feel more inconvenienced than unsafe. Bangkok isn't very fun right now so like other posters have suggested there are other places that might be more fun for you depending on why you are coming. Bangkok is a hige city the problem zone is located in a small but very central area. And there are very very few people about. A pall has been cast over the city in general.

I wish you, and all, peace and safety.

I live on Soi 1 behind the hosital. I walk to Sukhumvit in the mornings and up to about Soi 11. It is quiet but I always seem to see a tourist farang couple or 2 walking around. The thing I ask myself is <deleted> are they doin here? Is this their idea of a joyous holiday? High levels of idiocy I think

I live on Soi 1 behind the hosital. I walk to Sukhumvit in the mornings and up to about Soi 11. It is quiet but I always seem to see a tourist farang couple or 2 walking around. The thing I ask myself is <deleted> are they doin here? Is this their idea of a joyous holiday? High levels of idiocy I think

How do you know they are tourists and not residents? And why are they idiots? You seem to be make a judgement on why they are there and what they are like just by seeing them walking in the street. Did you actually talk to them and ask why they were there? Probably not.

The funny thing is I have had people tell me not to move to BKK because it is too dangerous, and they have said this whil smoking a cigarette. They have a greater chance of being killed by their cigarette smoking than anyone has of being killed in BKK. Nearly all killings are around the trouble areas. There is an extremely low risk of being killed or injured by the troubles anywhere eles in BKK. In fact you are more likely to die from the food you eat, cigarettes you smoke, alcohol you drink or raods you cross.

Some people just don't understand risk. The take part in very risky behaviours (like smoking) while telling others to avoid less risky behaviors (hgoing to BKK). Smoking is far more dangerous than BKK.

I live on 13 and travel in on the expressway. The Sukhumvit section is very quiet. THere are a few soldiers but life seems to be pretty much normal at the moment. It is quieter at night but add the low season to the troubles and you would be surprised if it was busy.

I am in and out of Bkk alot and really do feel ok though shopping is out at the moment

Embassies are always telling people not to visit Thailand becase of this or that. Most places are very peaceful. I'm not sure that is such a good reason.

I'm an American living with my Korean wife and kids in Rama 3 (Narathiwat) and they claim that Sathorn and Silom are not good places to go, especially ANYWHERE near Central World, but I have friends who live off of Sukumvit and they said that they have been told to stay off the streets and seeing soldiers with machine guns have become an everyday thing.

Lastly, it was reported on the radio that the Red Shirts, or someone associated with the Red Shirts was going to blow up a department store, so officials on the radio said to stay out of the malls yesterday.

My best advice to people coming to Thailand......get in a taxi and head to Pattaya or somewhere other than Bangkok until this whole mess comes to an end.

I really am amazed though, I live on my quiet soi and I NEVER even see a Red Shirt or a soldier, yet I know 3 miles away they are shooting each other. Simply amazing!

Central World is not on Sukhumvit Rd .. It's Rama 1 by that point .. Sukhumvit Rd ends at the freeway overpass .. I'm amazed at the media beat-up over all of this, it's simple .. army go in clear them out everyone goes about their business as usual again .. The Coup was far more poop provoking than this skirmish .. :)

Hey guys im following this Real Closley but still like some info as there not much new in australia about it

im going to Bangkok in July 9th till 16 staying on this road

204, 206,208 Charoenkrung Soi 14,Charoenkrung road Samphanthawongse , Bangkok, is this part ok or should i rethink somewhere else anyone have any sugestions thanks

There is no way the reds will attack Nana Plaza. The place is packed to the rafters with SAS, Navy Seal and other special forces types every single night. :D

plus its where most of the income that gets sent home comes from :)

I'm arriving next week and will be staying at Sukhumvit Soi 23. What's that area like at the moment?

Anyone living in that area planning to leave?

I live at Suk and Soi 22. In the last month the red shirts have protested 3 times, on Suk at Soi 23. The PM has a house on that Soi. Its been more then a week sense the red's have been around. The PM has not lived in his home in two months. So the reds stop protesting there. As for leaving the area. No I am not leaving. There is no reason to. The only thing that is new to this area is there are few white faces around.

Edited by Haacker

Embassies are always telling people not to visit Thailand becase of this or that. Most places are very peaceful. I'm not sure that is such a good reason.

Yah, listen to your embassy and be a pawn! :)

Hey I listen to my embassy and I am not a prawn! As a matter of fact if I was a prawn I might not have an embassy or even be able to listen, what oh sorry you said

pawn, same thing and I can only move 1 square at a time after the first move.

kdf

How do you know they are tourists and not residents? And why are they idiots? You seem to be make a judgement on why they are there and what they are like just by seeing them walking in the street. Did you actually talk to them and ask why they were there? Probably not.

The funny thing is I have had people tell me not to move to BKK because it is too dangerous, and they have said this whil smoking a cigarette. They have a greater chance of being killed by their cigarette smoking than anyone has of being killed in BKK. Nearly all killings are around the trouble areas. There is an extremely low risk of being killed or injured by the troubles anywhere eles in BKK. In fact you are more likely to die from the food you eat, cigarettes you smoke, alcohol you drink or raods you cross.

Some people just don't understand risk. The take part in very risky behaviours (like smoking) while telling others to avoid less risky behaviors (hgoing to BKK). Smoking is far more dangerous than BKK.

Look at the other thread running about Soi 2 and the surrounding area

The embassies are correct this time and the situation is too fragile at the moment. Re the two areas mentioned, Suk 2 is toooo close to the battle zone imo and 23 is close to a major intersection at asoke which could come into play at anytime.

Bts and mrt are not running.

Take the other posters advice and head straight to pattaya once you arrive, plenty of tailors etc etc to keep you busy without the need to enter a war zone.

couldn't agree more.

usually I am laughing about the paranoia usually created by foreign embassies, but in this case I agree: stay away from BKK if there is no urgent need to be here. if u have to stay here, choose a hotel away from the downtown area and lower Sukhumvit.

I thought I am safe here outside at Bangkapi district, but the red hordes today invaded this area too. Thai TV showed how 7/11-stores have been ransacked.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING WALKING DOWN SUKHUMVIT ? ARE YOU AN IDIOT?

Give your head a shake. I have a friend who owns a shop in Bkok and she is Thai. She has headed upcountry until this is all over.

I am not even convinced Pattaya is safe. With all the madness of these red shirts I would not be surprised to see bombs or shootings anywhere designed to destabilize the economy. I personally think you are safest in Phuket as it is a long way away from the action and largely ignored by the reshirts.

I'd head to Phuket and enjoy the trip.

Do any of the violence spread anywhere near sukhumvit 1-30 today?

it was already there the entire last day..... not only until Soi 30, but behind Soi 50 (where is On Nut).

so there is no reason to believe today will be NO violence.....

"the show must go on", Mister Thaksin will say, sitting in his 5-Star-Hotel room in Ryadh.

And spit out another Million of Baht to entertain his RED MOB....

Now I am beginning to understand why security guards carry machine guns in the Philippines. This is becoming nothing but a free for all where anyone who wants can go steal a new tv, food from 7-11 etc. and say it is a political protest. Those who are doing this must be punished. Problem is Thailand has become too loose and if they think they can get away with it they will do it.

Next step will likely be vigilante business owners, etc. Sad as this really is against the grain of the Thai people.

I don't think it was rude. I think the OP is joking.

Why not visit Kabul? or Greece. Anybody can go to Disneyland. At least there'll be a measure of excitement in Bangkok.

I'm being a wiener here, but is it really business as usual in Nana?

Edited by Shotime

Why not visit Kabul? or Greece. Anybody can go to Disneyland. At least there'll be a measure of excitement in Bangkok.

My gf doesn't live in Kabul or Greece, so why would I want to go there? You may not care about your gf/wife, but I care about mine.

My gf doesn't live in Kabul or Greece, so why would I want to go there? You may not care about your gf/wife, but I care about mine.

I'm in Kabul right now and there's no shooting at all but the nightlife just isn't the same as BKK :)

In all seriousness, my home and family are out in Bangna and it's been quiet out there. It's been disconcerting to watch this all unfold on TV but I know Thailand and BKK will rebound from this.

Can't wait to get home.

I care about your gf/wife, too.

I care about your gf/wife, too.

LOL. :)