More Bloodshed In Bangkok As Red Siege Continues

webfact

Looking out my window at the office here I can see thick clouds of smoke coming up from Rama IV. Looks like it's coming from somewhere around the Bon Kai or Sathorn intersection. Stay away from there if you can.

More peaceful demonstrations?

That's an oxymoron with these criminals.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my beef this one but here goes. A long time friend told me on his way back from Korat to Khon Kaen 6 days ago he passed, going in the Bangkok direction, 400-500 vehicles carrying red shirts. At police road blocks police appeared to be stopping them, asking for driving license and saying on yer way. Tend to believe my friends estimation, he worked in army logistics b4 retirement...so he can count

Huh :)

i thought their leaders had told them to stop wearing red shirts?

so how would he know?

Too much lao kao? :)

r1564782399.jpg

r3824778542.jpg

Reuters

An intoxicated anti-government "red shirt" supporter lies against a barricade made out of tires during clashes at Rama IV Street in Bangkok May 16, 2010.

Reuters

Edited by indemnity

NATION - "Three RPG rockets were fired at the Dusit Thani Hotel late Sunday night, prompting evacuation of tourists and reporters staying inside."

No doubt fired by an innocent, peaceful, unarmed, civilian protester who doesn't deserve to be shot by the army.

Note that not a single demonstrator who has stayed within the restricted demonstration area has been injured.

Looking out my window at the office here I can see thick clouds of smoke coming up from Rama IV. Looks like it's coming from somewhere around the Bon Kai or Sathorn intersection. Stay away from there if you can.

More peaceful demonstrations?

Looks like it. :)

Not my beef this one but here goes. A long time friend told me on his way back from Korat to Khon Kaen 6 days ago he passed, going in the Bangkok direction, 400-500 vehicles carrying red shirts. At police road blocks police appeared to be stopping them, asking for driving license and saying on yer way. Tend to believe my friends estimation, he worked in army logistics b4 retirement...so he can count

so how would he know?

Maybe, as a army logistics god he has some other special ability other than being able to count?

So the reports by the government last night were correct. The protestors are targetting the media now.

Indeed the hallmark of a repressive regime , Thaksins orders are still coming through and the game plan is exactly the same as last time deny all truth.

Ayatollah Thaksin speaks, nay orders the cessation of press freedom.

Edited by siampolee

so how would he know?

Maybe, as a army logistics god he has some other special ability other than being able to count?

take the shirts off when near Bangkok

CONCISE AND INFORMED. From Today's Independent:

Background to the current Thai protest

[info] earlywarm wrote:

The Independent (London) Saturday, 15 May 2010 at 12:41 am (UTC)

I suspect that much of the confusion in the reports on the situation in

Thailand is coming from commentators who cannot speak or understand the

Thai language. So much of their analysis is simply a list of cliches

copied from others. <snip>

Thanks for posting that.

It looks like the writer got his info from the ANU discussion about 10 days ago........ nothing wrong with that, as few people would have heard it.

I wish I could find the link to the ANU podcast.

:)

TNN: Reporter confirms a RPG was used against the Dusit Thani Hotel. Shows all the journalists in the basement

So where have the peaceful demonstators suddenly acquired RPG 7s from? Or were they stockpiled on the protests site from the beginning in full awareness of where this was meant to lead?

i have said all along this will not be over until the stock pile of munitions buried in Lumpini park is all used up

the peaceful reds would have a PR nightmare if the government found them and showed them to the world press

or maybe they would be fake guns, fake grenades, fake RPG, fake M16, fake AK47 's buried by fake reds ........

or planted by the govermement who sneaked behind enemy lines, under fire and put them there without anyone noticing....

Last night, I went digging for the "pile of munitions buried in Lumpini Park".

I didn't find them, but I did find the hidden immunity idol. Sweet.

Where is Russell Hantz anyway?

so how would he know?

sounds like he has ESP

they should re-recruit him and station him in the ''life fire zone'' with an Army sniper and he can take a moment to check what the red protaganist with the M79 grenade launchers real intentions are before they shoot him....

TNN: Reporter confirms a RPG was used against the Dusit Thani Hotel. Shows all the journalists in the basement

So where have the peaceful demonstators suddenly acquired RPG 7s from? Or were they stockpiled on the protests site from the beginning in full awareness of where this was meant to lead?

i have said all along this will not be over until the stock pile of munitions buried in Lumpini park is all used up

the peaceful reds would have a PR nightmare if the government found them and showed them to the world press

or maybe they would be fake guns, fake grenades, fake RPG, fake M16, fake AK47 's buried by fake reds ........

or planted by the govermement who sneaked behind enemy lines, under fire and put them there without anyone noticing....

Last night, I went digging for the "pile of munitions buried in Lumpini Park".

I didn't find them, but I did find the hidden immunity idol. Sweet.

Where is Russell Hantz anyway?

RH is answering a beating up a tourist rap in Lousiana, he won't be back anytime soon......

NATION - "Three RPG rockets were fired at the Dusit Thani Hotel late Sunday night, prompting evacuation of tourists and reporters staying inside."

No doubt fired by an innocent, peaceful, unarmed, civilian protester who doesn't deserve to be shot by the army.

Note that not a single demonstrator who has stayed within the restricted demonstration area has been injured.

Electrical power was obviously knocked out by the blasts

dusit1.jpg

A guest is given first aid after fainting, following explosions and gunfire heard around the luxury Dusit Thani Hotel early morning in Bangkok's business district May 17, 2010. Thailand took a tough stand against anti-government protesters on Sunday, rejecting demands for U.N.-supervised talks and calling on their leaders to surrender on the fourth day of deadly clashes with troops.

Reuters

dusit2.jpg

Guests are evacuated to safety at the luxury Dusit Thani Hotel after explosions and gunfire were heard around the hotel early morning in Bangkok's business district May 17, 2010.

Reuters

[info] earlywarm wrote:

Thanks for posting that.

It looks like the writer got his info from the ANU discussion about 10 days ago........ nothing wrong with that, as few people would have heard it.

One problem about red sided reporting is surely caused by the reporters having been with the reds and been led by them to see what the reds want them to see.

Have not heard of any reporters being with the army and seeing things from their side when they are being targeted with M79 grenades, AK47’s, RPG’s, Molotov cocktails, professional slingshots (are illegal in most western countries and considered a weapon that can cause severe injury and/or death)

so how would he know?

take the shirts off when near Bangkok

you wouldn't do that before then to ease your passage through security checkpoints?

man these reds are clever.....

its a bit like the army and CRE looking for and warning people about the ''men in black'' and what do the men in black actually wear?

BLACK!!

Too bad about the fighting.

It is so sad the deaths and injuries.

I never post but I thought I might add to the place here with a post that is less childish.

I mean all we read is mostly anti red rants here and an occasional rant against the current Thai ruling class, that is quickly removed.

Thaivisa seems to be similar to Fox news.

if it is not rightwing, it is a lie says this site.

My two cents.

I predict the fight could go on for years. Perhaps one side or the other will win for a time but then the fight will break out again. We all can see the hate the two groups have for one another. The Anti Reds call the reds animals and worse.

No matter the nonsense we read here in this strictly controlled and right leaning site, we all know that if an election were held tomorrow, the reds would become the ruling party. This is precisely why it is that the Ruling regime has used coups and fake elections in the past 4 years. if they could defeat the Reds in a real election, they would simply invite in the UN and hold a very open election and win.

So the minority group, Now in power) with most of the power will not give it up without a fight.

Thus Bangkok could be destroyed over the next few years and Thailand could be turned into a wrecked third world nation. The fight could go on and on and on.

Most of you rich Thais will leave. Most all foreigners will leave.

But the fight will go on and on and on until the ruling class gives up.

My prediction.

Good luck all and stay safe.

Remember a rock in the head can kill you just like a bullet can.

Best wishes to all my friends there.

so how would he know?

I'm sorry, but wouldn't this just be the convoy that arrived around that time in Bangkok from exactly that part of the country?

The UDD mentioned 5000, but the media reported something like 2000 turned up.

Go back and check some of the old news updates.

Just a few thoughts, I don't want to be accused of not having a life and watching too many movies by "Khunjamespittman" again.

I don't think they will find a stash of weapons inside the Reds area. They had advance notice the army would attempt to seal off the area. Instead we have a few antagonists trying to provoke a heavy handed reaction from the army and the odd weapon.

The guys in black/Ronin warriors etc will not be found inside the red encampment either.

I wonder if what appears to be deliberate targeting and wounding of journalists is a tactic to get the press to pull out.

Guys in black appear to remain very secretive and I wonder if they are a split faction of the army they will wait for a suitable time to engage with some elements of the army and get payback for SD's wounding. High ranking officers would have learned from April 10 to be more strategic in where they place their command posts.

This little conflict appears to be just getting started !

MCOT Ch9: (09:20) Reporting that Seh Daeng has died early this morning

Urgent: It is confirmed: Seh Daeng Passed away at 09:20am this morning (Monday 17th May). /via TAN MCOT INN

MCOT: Maj-Gen Khattiya died at 9.20am at Vajira Hospital after being shot in the head on May 13

RIP

The plastered red shirter saga continues as his back-up arrives:

r1611370441.jpg

An anti-government "red shirt" supporter aims his slingshot at army soldiers, as his intoxicated comrade lies against a barricade made out of tires, at Rama IV Street in Bangkok May 16, 2010.

Reuters

TAN: URGENT: Docs at Vachira Hos have confirmed that General Kattiya Sawasdipol passed at 9:20 A.M. His funeral held at Somanas Temple

so now we know where everyone that is wanted by the government is going to want to be

question is:

will they attend?

will the government have the balls to grab them if they do?

wouldn't that be a fitting tribute to the life of Seh Daeng, a full blown all out gunfight at his own funeral!!

I think it is no longer the fight of the RED protesters. It is a fight of the Thai poor. Bon Kai is the second poorest district in downtown Bangkok. About half of the residence born up there, and half rent rooms/bed there, while working in Bangkok. Bon Kai is just 100 m from Klong Toei slump, which is the largest slump in Bangkok.

[info] earlywarm wrote:

Thanks for posting that.

One problem about red sided reporting is surely caused by the reporters having been with the reds and been led by them to see what the reds want them to see.

Have not heard of any reporters being with the army and seeing things from their side when they are being targeted with M79 grenades, AK47's, RPG's, Molotov cocktails, professional slingshots (are illegal in most western countries and considered a weapon that can cause severe injury and/or death)

good observation John. I wondered why too. these reporters glutton for puishment? I would rather be among the soldiers! I am sure if among the reds, the reporters have to be friendly and submissive with the reds, like that BBC weasel Dan. Man did he ever distort the truth. Oh well, what can we do?!

"We want the UN because we don't trust we will receive justice from organizations in Thailand," protest leader Nattawut Saikuar /AFP

don't worry you won't get the justice you deserve

you will never face charges of treason or the firing squad ...........

This comment will go down as the biggest Joke in Thai Hostory

Thai want help from Farang as they trust Farang more than Thai

If I want time to myself I tell my Thai wife this, I then hear Thai words no Farang ever hear before

and she go to her room with 4 channel 3 Thai love Dvds

I not see her again for hours

That is why many Thai rather watch CNN, BCC, AZJ etc rather than NBT.

MCOT Ch9: (09:20) Reporting that Seh Daeng has died early this morning

Urgent: It is confirmed: Seh Daeng Passed away at 09:20am this morning (Monday 17th May). /via TAN MCOT INN

MCOT: Maj-Gen Khattiya died at 9.20am at Vajira Hospital after being shot in the head on May 13

RIP

More violence to come now.

Why is it the government is not looking for the killer?

OH--because the government is the killer.

No, the government has far more important things to do at this time. <snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
Flame deleted

Could be jumping to conclusions. Army declared they were not going to infiltrate, only close off. The rest is only a guess?

Didnt do much of a job of closing off.

Not just a guess actually. Earlier in the thread I suggested that the army should disarm before entering the encampment and, as I thought it was a good idea, I rang someone close to the Government. He said 'the military will never accept it, Abhisit does not control the military and they are pursuing their own agenda.' He also said you can see 'the military are shooting Thais while achieving nothing and that is not good either in the eyes of Thais or internationally.' He also said the 'police and military are corrupt to their very core.'

So yes there is quite a lot of guessing in there. But I know Abhisit is committed to reducing the influence of the army in Thai politics. Also remember there is the army reshuffle coming up and he wanted to replace the coup's constitution. There are some 3500 people at the encampment do you think the Thai army cant contain them when they can execute a coup in three hours.

So yes quite a lot of guesswork but it all seems to add up to me.

So it isnt hard to believe they are manipulating this protest - in fact it must be harder to believe they apparently cant contain it. Cutting the military budget and revising the constitution as well as having a say in the army reshuffle, I dont think would go down well. Thaksin got kicked out for mucking about with the reshuffle.

If you really believe Abhisit is interested in getting the Army out of politics, then please tell me why he has not used the police in this protest and let the Army do its job of protecting the country from outside dangers like from Burma or Cambodia.

I'll take that one. The police are not loyal to the govt. Pretty easy explanation.

Also, the police don't know what the fack they are doing.

BBC Report

"Seh Daeng the militant army general who joined forces with the red protestors

has died this morning. Meanwhile the army continues to use live bullets against

the protestors."

That was the full statement on BBC

Seems like great journalism

No metion of protestors firing RPG at Dusit Thani

No mention of reds tossing molotov cocktails

Where is the impartiality? Where is the truth

Not on BBC that is for sure