Asylum Seeking

My wife, who's got dual Thai and British nationality, made this tongue-in-cheek comment to me this morning. I think it's brilliant, and to try and bring some humour into the current chaos (and potential worsening "civil war" events, if some of the press is to be believed), does anyone think it could 'technically' work?

She laughingly said, "So, there'll be lots of Thais going to Britain now claiming Asylum from warfare in Thailand".

Now, given the way you can't step on a UK-bound plane without a visa, I doubt you could do this directly.

However, if you got a Schengen-tourist visa for, say, France. Landed there, went through the Channel Tunnel, and then said on arrival in UK, "Hey, I'm claiming Asylum"..............

Okay, I'm making a light point here, but if the Foreign Office can warn UK citizens not to come here, close their embassy, they'd be hard pushed to refuse an Asylum application on the grounds of "personal life danger" in Bangkok!

What ya reckon?

An option for all you guys who've had Settlement Visas refused recently.............

You would still need a visa to go through the Channel Tunnel, the border controls are at the Eurostar Terminal in Paris and the shuttle train near Calais.

I know it was a tongue in cheek remark by your wife, but unless people have proof that they are being persecuted as a result of the troubles they wouldn't be granted asylum, and would probably be detained whilst the application is dealt with under the "Fast Track" procedures.

one of the dumbest threads i have ever read in 8 years.

you really do not give a monkeys for your mother country do you, want to fill it with even more bogus asylum seekers. i hope you dont class yourself as British.

now i am maybe going away to weep.

Possible but the Channel bit would have to be done in the back of a lorry then you get there and the fighting stops and your no longer in danger so your on the next flight back with a BIG sticker on your forehead DON"T COME BACK :) .

yes , i agree , england should take in all the red shirt leaders who will soon be on the run

Yep, and stick em in Brooke House, the new Immigration "hotel" at Gatwick.

Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds.