Ban Wang Tan

OOB

Soon leaving my current abode where I have Maxnet Premier (reasonably quick and reliable) and am told I can not get it at Ban Wang Tan. So...for those in the know:-

1) What service providers are available are out there?

2) What level of service (speed) are you typically getting to International sites?

3) Is AIS 3G working out there?

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks David.

Anyone down there use anything other than TOT (including 3G)?

Cheers

I think we are wired up for just about every provider but for direct cable. I have tried them all before finally deciding that TIT and finding consistency is impossible.

I am now paying for TOT 6MB and getting something less than 4MB. I also tried AIS 3G but seemed to be just off the edge of their service area.

I have their 4900 THB Wi-Fi modem (which they do NOT refund if they cannot provide service for you!) if you would like to borrow it and give them a try.

Best of luck - great community however! We rented and decided to purchase years ago...

Used to live in Bang Wan Tan,had ToT. Now live across the road, and have ToT,but they have been putting BBB 4MB signs up everywhere in the last coupleof days, so maybe MaxnET (or whatever its called this month) is now available in the area - or soon will be.

Thanks both.

My wife spoke to Maxnet the other day and they said that Wang Tan is in their roll-out plans and they hope to have installed the necessary infrastructure within the next month or two. Whether this implies 'months of Sundays' is anyone's guess..!

• 8 months later...

Thanks both.

My wife spoke to Maxnet the other day and they said that Wang Tan is in their roll-out plans and they hope to have installed the necessary infrastructure within the next month or two. Whether this implies 'months of Sundays' is anyone's guess..!

Any updates? I've just bought a house in Ban Wang Tan and need internet

Thanks both.

How does one buy a house or do you mean condominium?

Maybe his wife has Thai nationality. Or are you just looking for an argument?

MSPain

Thanks both.

Thanks both.

I have TOT and now rarely have a problem athough 2 days ago the connection was playing up,called them-it was resolved in 1 hour and believe it or not I got call from a young lady a little later asking if everything was OK! :o

I live in Bavwangtan... Been using TOT for the past 3+ yrs... and no problem until about 4-5 months ago when I upgraded to 6Mb service (same cost as my previous 2Mb service, so why not, a promotional thing that only put me in a new annual contract). Before the upgrade the service was primo, no interruptions, and satisfactory speeds. Now TOT has recently throttled back those downloading torrents (which I have found a way to get around), and interruptions of service so bad it ticks me off (but those interruptions are really short in duration and are more of a nuisance.) DLing torrents using a 6mB service I can top off at approx 450Kb/s speed. I had a Thai friend call TOT months ago to ask about the repeated disruption of service and the reply he got was that they are doing some major upgrades to their entire CM system (I would guess for the increased speed people are wanting these days) and that is their reasoning for the service being intermittent at times. I figure, oh well, live with it for awhile and see what happens as Thais can be a little slow at completing something (for example the roadwork at the back way out of Banwangtan to hit the ring road.... been taking a long time and is still going).

BTW, as someone else pointed out, Banwangtan can be a nice place to live....only if we could get rid of all the dogs running around and barking constantly. dry.gif

I bought in there for 915,000 in 2006 and sold in 2008 for 990,000. The dog situation is horrible. It is a beautifully laid out Moo Baan. Too many idiots living there, including some of the biggest pricks that I have ever met in Asia. The developer has been trying to sell his house for years (5+). Jet noise can rattle your fillings, but at least it's constructive. I had DSL with TTT. 620 thb per month--the rain seemed to affect it.

Edited by Thighlander

Thanks both.

Through a Thai with a lifetime Usufruct and a 'power of attorney' to sell

I live in Bavwangtan... Been using TOT for the past 3+ yrs... and no problem until about 4-5 months ago when I upgraded to 6Mb service (same cost as my previous 2Mb service, so why not, a promotional thing that only put me in a new annual contract). Before the upgrade the service was primo, no interruptions, and satisfactory speeds. Now TOT has recently throttled back those downloading torrents (which I have found a way to get around), and interruptions of service so bad it ticks me off (but those interruptions are really short in duration and are more of a nuisance.) DLing torrents using a 6mB service I can top off at approx 450Kb/s speed. I had a Thai friend call TOT months ago to ask about the repeated disruption of service and the reply he got was that they are doing some major upgrades to their entire CM system (I would guess for the increased speed people are wanting these days) and that is their reasoning for the service being intermittent at times. I figure, oh well, live with it for awhile and see what happens as Thais can be a little slow at completing something (for example the roadwork at the back way out of Banwangtan to hit the ring road.... been taking a long time and is still going).

BTW, as someone else pointed out, Banwangtan can be a nice place to live....only if we could get rid of all the dogs running around and barking constantly. dry.gif

Yes it is a problem - but as much a farang as Thai - my next door neighbour has one of those stupid little yapping things (his wife is Thai) which barks at the slightest provocation - they go out and leave it to roam around. That's the problem no sense of respecting others peace and quiet - if the Thais didn't feed them they would disappear but it's not exclusive to Banwangtan!

Thanks both.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought the only power of attorney to sell by holding a Usufruct, is if your wife dies and she has left you the house in her Thai will, which must then be sold within one year of inheritance by law.

As I said, I'm not certain, but this is my impression and I'd be happy to know otherwise. smile.gif

Thanks both.

Welcome to the club :) What kind of Dog do you walk? I have French bulldogs (one on wheels)

david

I did the lease with a thai partner. My lease became a part of the Chinot, which I held. It worked for me, but I would not do it again. I would buy a nice condo, but it is just real cheap in Phoenix, USA. Paid 650,000 THB in Phoenix and easily found a renter (with a government guarantee) to pay 18,000 per month. You would probably have to pay 2 million+ to get that kind of rent in CNX.

I thought the only power of attorney to sell by holding a Usufruct, is if your wife dies and she has left you the house in her Thai will, which must then be sold within one year of inheritance by law.

As I said, I'm not certain, but this is my impression and I'd be happy to know otherwise. smile.gif

I just read the full text of the law (courtesy of Isaan Lawyers). Sounds VERY risky.

Edited by elektrified

No that's not quite right - well it's right if the person giving the Usufruct dies yes - but the Thai can sign a power of attorney to sell (i.e. to another Thai proxy) - that's no problem - so if you wanted to sell you find a Thai friend or agent and sign the property to them to sell for you - I would recommend a quality real estate agent to 'hold' it for you for a short time (the time it takes to transfer at the land office - you get the money obviously).