Afraid?

aussiejosh

I don't know about many of you but I have lived here most of my adult life, I have seen coups and military in the street before and really never thought much of it. The always seemed to have a smile on their face and when I was younger I was more interested in going out and having fun than what was going on around me.

It seems the sky train is unsafe now, I hate to hear my girlfriend has decided to use it to come over. Nothing has happened in the MRT yet but I don't much like using that either. I don't go to work at the moment, so I have been sitting at home just reading twitter feeds and anything I can get my hands on and I am thinking.

I want to go home. This suck, and doesn't feel like home anymore.

Anyone else have similar feelings? When will this end?

Try to relax like most Thais by not focusing on the going-ons like watching DVD's movies and regard it as bad luck for having a sponsor of the red-shirts who happens to be a bad loser and wanting all his money back. I like to think that the end is near and will one day regard this havoc as a bad dream. That is my hope.

I am far away from Bangkok, so not feeling the same as you at the moment. But, it isn't like the previous coup I experienced here. This is more violent and perhaps aimed at a big change to the structure of Thai society. I am worried very much about the future of Thailand and what will happen after this.

For sure, my wife and I have discussed options of leaving.

At the same time, I also hold some hope for Thailand. Many people can now clearly see how violent this mob is, how much damage the last mob did, and they want a peaceful country.

??????

Hope you and your girlfriend are OK in Bangkok and this is soon over.

Both the BTS and MRT have been closed for several days now. I can't believe that this is considered a "new development".

More people die in BKK road accidents in a year than will perish in this discord. It's somewhat amusing to see what has transpired over the past couple months, and how farangs have changed their perspective. Two months ago, the red shirts were lobbing grenades at soldiers and police, and farangs just shrugged their shoulders. The reds fired upon, and killed police, soldiers, and passersby...and farangs just shrugged their shoulders. The red shirts blocked streets with their trucks and motorcycles, and the farangs just thought it was great fun. Fast forward to today...half of the protestors have left BKK and, rather than firing off grenades, they are setting tires on fire. All of a sudden, farangs are concerned. Gosh, there's an intersection that has been blocked. Oh no, part of Rama IV is blockaded. I'm so afraid!

I'm with you mate, I feel a weird danger in the air, I feel that it is unsafe for my family. I have a little daughter and I'm worried about her. I'd rather stay home than adventure into the town. If I'm shot by a stray bullet, who is going to take care of my family? It makes me think as well. I really hope this violence will stop and people come back to normal.

Edited by Thunder26

Both the BTS and MRT have been closed for several days now. I can't believe that this is considered a "new development".

More people die in BKK road accidents in a year than will perish in this discord. It's somewhat amusing to see what has transpired over the past couple months, and how farangs have changed their perspective. Two months ago, the red shirts were lobbing grenades at soldiers and police, and farangs just shrugged their shoulders. The reds fired upon, and killed police, soldiers, and passersby...and farangs just shrugged their shoulders. The red shirts blocked streets with their trucks and motorcycles, and the farangs just thought it was great fun. Fast forward to today...half of the protestors have left BKK and, rather than firing off grenades, they are setting tires on fire. All of a sudden, farangs are concerned. Gosh, there's an intersection that has been blocked. Oh no, part of Rama IV is blockaded. I'm so afraid!

Please note that a tanker is on fire in the middle of Rama IV, a tesco express has been burned etc etc. This kind of irresponsible inflammatory posting is really unnecessary.

I am afraid of it enough that I chose to avoid BKK and head to Pattaya instead.

I had the same plan and was considering to leave BKK this morning. I should have done it - I just heard from rumours that the Red Mob is creating satellite stages here in Ramkamhaeng now too. in Lat Phrao they are already, that's a fact, not rumours. at Imperial. Thai TV shows Video-clips how they are ransacking 7/11-stores and destroying ATMs. this can happen anywhere right now. At the main "war-zone" at ratchaprasong they are using 2 - year old toddlers as human shields..... (pics can be found at the TWEET of the nationmultimedia.com website) wow, what lovely people these reds are....

hope it's still safe here tomorrow morning to leave BKK for a few days..... things can only get worse....

I am afraid of it enough that I chose to avoid BKK and head to Pattaya instead.

That's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

The biggest fear is when all this goes underground.

it already IS underground...... forget Ratchaprasong, the guerilla-war of Mister Thaksin's private army has already started.... many "satellite" stages opened, such as Din Daeng, Lat Phrao, and rumours say, Ramkamhaeng.

If I would own a 7/11 store, I would close it immidiately for the next few days.....

Why would anyone take the skytrain or subway now? I live near both but havent used the skytrain in many months though I did use mrt a month ago for the last time. over for now. I have feet and can walk everywhere

Eh? I use the skytrain all the time. Mainly because if I'm heading across the city, I'm not going to walk two or three hours in the blazing heat to get somewhere.

Back to the original question- don't really feel afraid as it's been easy enough to avoid trouble spots, although not ruling out heading off to the seaside for a week or so if things continue to escalate.

I am far away from Bangkok, so not feeling the same as you at the moment. But, it isn't like the previous coup I experienced here. This is more violent and perhaps aimed at a big change to the structure of Thai society. I am worried very much about the future of Thailand and what will happen after this.

For sure, my wife and I have discussed options of leaving.

At the same time, I also hold some hope for Thailand. Many people can now clearly see how violent this mob is, how much damage the last mob did, and they want a peaceful country.

Your observation is spot on. This time is so vicious and un-Thai. It is a mixture of ideology, political upmanship, justifiable discontents, and unlimited sponsorship funds. The mob is getting like those American cults with complete loyalty to their leaders without questioning and worse, the government has not absorbed this point. (Television interviews of protesters gave me that impression). Unfortunately, more fatalities are unavoidable unless one side gives in.

But, still too soon to think of leaving. Once there is a final scene of casualties or peaceful negotiation, I like to think that things will be back to normal very soon as though as what happened in the past month is only a bad dream.

If ThaiVisa is any indicator you'd have to conclude that all the expats in Thailand are shitting in their pants. However I don't think that ThaiVisa is a good indicator, I think that people here just have a good ability to whip each other into a frenzy.

Edited by OriginalPoster