Sardines

I like Sardines and used to buy Brooks Sardines in light oil at Friendship Market on Pattaya Thai for 13 baht a can, about 5 years ago they disappeared from the stores shelves, I have been looking for sardines (not the expensive imported kind ,which I can find all over) I have only been able to find Thai Sardines in tomatoes sauce that I do not like.

On a recent trip to Arizona I brought Majestica Sardines in Louisiana hot sauce, Chicken of the Sea Sardines in oil,.Pampa Sardines also in oil and hot sauce , all these are products of Thailand.

Why, are they not available in Thailand, and only exported to the rest of the world?

Has anyone found these brands or like brands here in Thailand?

Thanks for your input!

Cheers :)

post-91962-1274129729_thumb.jpgpost-91962-1274129815_thumb.jpg

I just do not care for tomato sauce, I just wondered why, sardines manufactured in Thailand are not available in Thailand and I needed to go to Arizona to buy them.

These are some I brought back with me, I sure hope they will make them available in Thailand.All are products of Thailand

A good "tinned fish on toast" substitute is smoked mussels. I don't have any at the moment so I can't tell you the brand but they're available in Top and Rimping, but for some reason I've never seen them in Big C.

I had a sardine topic here last year. I would have been happy to find a Thai brand that never had "tomato" sauce in it.

Still looking.

I have they same problem, I too don't like the sardines in tomato sauce, the Brooks sardines (no tom-sauce) were fine but they are no longer available, however in order to keep consuming fish (for Omega 3 reason) I have asked my wife to remove the tomato sauce, (which is 85% successfull) and enter lime juice over the fish, (two limes for the contents of one can) this has proved to be a positive solution to the tomato sauce problem.

I just do not care for tomato sauce, I just wondered why, sardines manufactured in Thailand are not available in Thailand and I needed to go to Arizona to buy them.

These are some I brought back with me, I sure hope they will make them available in Thailand.All are products of Thailand

Cheers :D

You know if they ever are available, they probably will have been exported to the US and reimported and cost hundreds of baht per tin :)

I must admit I thought about this myself, just seemed like too much messing around.

I suppose she just rinses them off?

No, we do not rinse them off, this would destroy the sardine oil (the omega 3 content) the sardines are taken out out of the can with a 'tsp' and put on a plate, the sauce is then removed gently from the sardine with the tea spoon up to about 85% plus.

The lime juice (from two fruits) together with the small amount of tomato sauce (left inside the sardines) is very tasteful.

I envy you guys with these obedient Thai wives, if I asked my Mrs to scrape tomato sauce off of sardines the repercussions could be far reaching.

Yes understood, but his matter can be resolved by taking up marital arts, I suggest and recommend

"Ju Jitsu" because 'Ju' means soft and gentle ... and 'Jitsu' means art, you can be assured that this soft and gentle art will result in getting the Thai wife's to do their sardine duty.

Indeed? I'll sign up for lessons. :)

Personally though, I tend to agree with norwayteagle, a quick rinse wouldn't hurt and would remove nearly all of that awful sauce. The good stuff is actually in the flesh, and of course the bones are high calcium, important for old geezers like me.

I'd stick with your lime juice garnish rather than the olive oil though.

Villa have Portoguese sardines in oil (soya) for 65 Baht per tin. The brand is Santmaria.

They are not easy to find on the shelf, being down low on the left hand side of all the other tinned fish.

Hope you enjoy.

Last time I visited the Villa Market at Nawamin Village in Kaset-Nawamin Road, I picked up a couple of tins of John West Sardines (120G) in Sunflower Oil. These are perhaps the best money can buy. So check out your local Villa (Super) Market, they have outlets all over the place nowadays.

I saw today that foodland,altough in Pattaya,has 2 brands of sardines in vegetable oil.One of them has black beans added.I forget the brandnames already but the cheapest one was 45 baht for a can,the one with the black beans somewhere in the 60 baht.

I assume that they have the same articles in all their branches

Last time I visited the Villa Market at Nawamin Village in Kaset-Nawamin Road, I picked up a couple of tins of John West Sardines (120G) in Sunflower Oil. These are perhaps the best money can buy. So check out your local Villa (Super) Market, they have outlets all over the place nowadays.

John West make a reasonable sardine. Not sure if they are the best money can buy though.

Watch out for Riga Sprats in a flat round tin when shopping over seas. They ARE world class.

I suppose the perfectionist would say they are not a true sardine, but if it looks like a sardine, tastes like a sardine....

Basjkje, Thank you for the information, I am planning a trip to Pattaya soon and will look for them.

Again Thank You.

Sorry to inform you mate but I was at Foodland again today and saw that one of the brands had left the assortiment already.Now they only stock the sardines with black beans in vegetable oil.However at 44 Baht for a 150 gr portion not a bad deal I guess.