Type Of Bank Account For 400k Deposit

I saw some other post from I think Chiang Mai where a guy said he had a problem because his 400K was in a deposit bearing account. Didn't make sense to me, but anyway, I have to go for my non-imm 0 extension in Pattaya soon, and the money is in a 3 month term deposit. Been there almost 3 months and this is not my first renewal. Is that going to be a problem?

You would have to ask Pattaya Immigration but as long as your name only suspect it will be accepted. Normally either passbook saving account or fixed deposit accounts are allowed.

Edit: that said you should be able to show a source for routine payments if asked.

They are called "fixed deposit accounts" and are so marked on deposit slips at both Bangkok Bank and SCB. I expect if you are talking about a cash deposit of a fixed amount for a fixed amount of time it is the same.

• 6 months later...

They are called "fixed deposit accounts" and are so marked on deposit slips at both Bangkok Bank and SCB. I expect if you are talking about a cash deposit of a fixed amount for a fixed amount of time it is the same.

Does anyone know what kind of proof of the 400k in a bank account Immigration wants?

I have a bankbook and heard from a fellow foreigner that it has to be updated 1-2 days before the application of the visa extension, by transfering or withdrawing a certain amount and update it afterwards.

He also told me immigration wants a letter from the bank.

What about the letter? What does it have to say? Can it be a print out from the bank account, or does it have to be a written letter by one of the bank employees?

Does it have to be addressed to Immigration, or can it be a general letter stating the current balance?

Anyone have an example letter for me please? Can't find any specifics.

It must be addressed to Immigration stating the bank balance of account and signed by the manager of the branch. They have set formats for such letters and normally make a small charge of 1 or 2 hundred baht for the service. They may state balance for the previous day or put a hold on your account if dated the same day. Immigration in Bangkok seems to want a deposit slip print out on day of application (most banks have office one floor down so not a problem). Other places previous day likely to be accepted. You should have copies of all pages in passbook and should be a recent update. Bank teller should be able to make such an update without a deposit (but not self serve machines - you would have to make a small withdrawal using ATM) but some tellers will say they can't so a small deposit or withdrawal would be required.

Thank you so much for the valuable information. It's all I need to know. By the way I'll apply in Korat next Thursday and a friend told me I should get the letter about 1-2 days before, cause some banks don't seem to issue it right away. The bank is an upcountry branch and they are not likely to have much experience with visa applicants. I'll tell you afterwards how it went.

Thank you so much for the valuable information. It's all I need to know. By the way I'll apply in Korat next Thursday and a friend told me I should get the letter about 1-2 days before, cause some banks don't seem to issue it right away. The bank is an upcountry branch and they are not likely to have much experience with visa applicants. I'll tell you afterwards how it went.

I had to apply a week in advance for the letter from the Kasikorn bank in Nang Rong last year....