First Time Thailand

pickle86

Hello all,

First time poster and am booked to fly to phuket on 31st may for 10 days holiday. have been booked for a while. is Phuket/patong safe to go to because we are hearing conflicting reports in my home country. some people saying to me don't go and others saying that it will be fine there as i'm not going anywhere near bangkok.

if any locals could help me with this it is much appreciated.

should i cancel my trip or not worry?

And so far no problems at the main airport in Bangkok... Suvarnabuhmi. Enjoy your stay and ALWAYS get a quote of a price before getting into a Phuket Tuk tuk. Phuket tuk tuks are notorious for ripping off tourists. Better still, don't ride in one at all... just walk or take a taxi. It's anywhere from about 400 to 800 baht for a taxi ride from the Airport to the Patong beach area at Phuket. I think it's about 40 km. Most pre-booking hotels pay one way but not the other. Take a notebook and do a walking tour to check prices on meal costs in various restaurants. They REALLY vary and you can get stung paying 200 baht for what you can pay 100 baht elsewhere. Virtually EVERYTHING costs more in Phuket than just about everywhere else in Thailand. I much prefer Laem Sing beach to Patong beach. It's a few Km up the road north. Use Google Earth to see what the whole island is like and where the beaches are located.

if you have booked your room already, see if they will have a car pick you up at the airport

less chance of they taxi stopping off on the way to get you hasselled to change your room.

if you are staying in patong, don't bother with tuk tuks, walking is easy and more fun.

don't tell anyone your first time there.

don't do any scratch cards, surveys, or other nonesense ( time share scam that in the least will waste your vacation time)

You'll have no trouble at all from the unrest in Bangkok if you're going straight down to Phuket. You'll have more problems with being stitched in Phuket! I hope you enjoy your holiday in Thailand though - it really is a nice place.

Thankyou. have direct flight to phuket so i will not cancel.

You should know that not all sexy looking girls on Phuket are for real. Watch out, you might see something you were not expecting. Called Kathoeys, or simple: lady boys. Have a nice stay.