Thailand's Tourist Figures?

About a month ago they released a figure for arrivals at Suvarnabhumi that suggested from 30k down to 20k( Per day??) - that would be 30% reduction.

I was wondering really what other figures were available.

THere shouldn't be any time lag.

I would have thought that a reduction to 10k per day would be realistic - this would indeed represent a 60%+ (2/3rds) reduction.

Edited by Deeral

About a month ago they released a figure for arrivals at Suvarnabhumi that suggested from 30k down to 20k( Per day??) - that would be 30% reduction.

I was wondering really what other figures were available.

THere shouldn't be any time lag.

I would have thought that a reduction to 10k per day would be realistic - this would indeed represent a 60%+ (2/3rds) reduction.

It is very bad and it is going to get a lot worse

I believe the original forecast for tourist arrival budget for Thailand was 15 million pax (2010 budget)

If (-30%) is the formula, then the estimate should be somewhere around 10.5 mio - 11.0 mio pax arrivals for 2010.

The recovery is not going to happen overnight as Thailand is in their slow summer seasons as well.

*if the baht holds firm and strengthen further, then there may be further impact of fewer tourists unless the tourist

bureau promotes some sensible good deals to the visiting travelers.

I have it on good authority that daily tourism visa entrys are down 2/3rds a day... Approx 10K entry from 30K per day.

The paper that may not be quoted mentions down 1/3 ... appx 20K from 30K per day.

And therein lies a problem : figures quoted are often contradictory and expressed in a way that is not clear or relative to seasonal trends, etc. They also tend to be buried in a lot of rhetoric.

Incidentally I did some research over the internet and it seems tourism is around 9-10% of Global GDP. Countries associated with tourism, it can be as high as 20%. So not sure 6.5% for Thailand is accurate at all. Yet another reason not to trust Thai figures at all.

THe figure for Thailand of 6 to 7 % has repeatedly been verified - if you know of something different that would be interesting but going against the grain of many years.

T

The figures discussed above are ARIVAlS AT SUVARNABHUMI - not yearly visitor numbers - so adrop of 30% is fr ONW MONTH not the whole year and therefore the assumptions based on the year are irrelevant.

Edited by Deeral

THe figure for Thailand of 6 to 7 % has repeatedly been verified - if you know of something different that would be interesting but going against the grain of many years.

T

The figures discussed above are ARIVAlS AT SUVARNABHUMI - not yearly visitor numbers - so adrop of 30% is fr ONW MONTH not the whole year and therefore the assumptions based on the year are irrelevant.

It's amazing how many people live there lives in denial.

I haven't the slightest idea as to whether the numbers are currently down, and wouldn't be surprised if the government wasn't being entirely forthright with their figures.

However, what I think the government and those in the tourism industry should be concerned about is the upcoming high season. Travel agents and potential vacationers are going to remember the chaos when they begin to contemplate booking their Dec. - Feb. holidays.

The next few high season might not be so high at all.

Edited by up-country_sinclair