Thai Ghost Movie

khun jim

There is a new Thai movie titled P and looks to be intresting. It is about a young girl from Issan that had studdied black magic from her granddmother. After her grandmother dies she ventures off to bangkok and ends up in a go go bar. She uses her magic for her own good and breaks some thai laws about the magic. And has become Phii Borb. cursed to eat raw meat she starts to crave human flesh..

looks like a good horror movie but bad time for most thais do to the number of deaths from thr tsunami and all the ghost about.

Cant remem the name ,but thais seem to lie the ones that have horror and magic.

Anyone seen the one where all the girls turn into crazed killer lizards....very funny

I reckon that most Thai's will give the movie a big miss.

One of the reasons I read TV is that my wife is watching ghost movies on the telly.

Thais are always fascinated by any ghost film, no matter how ridiculous. The best I've seen is The Grudge (American/Japanese remake of the original called "Ju-On") - that knocks spots off any other to date.

there is a site on it here http://www.pbar.info/ . sounds like it might be entertaining. it seems to have won a few awards and got some good reviews.

however the pdf info-pack at the top says that:-

"The film was produced for Thai audiences, but a new problem has emerged. A new social order campaign has strengthened film censorship, and the filmmakers have been warned that there are many aspects of this film that are now unacceptable.

The Thai government refuses to acknowledge that prostitution exists in Thailand, and are particulary keen to downplay Bangkok as a 'sex city'.

In the current climate, no Thai distributor will dare distribute this film'"

so, you might not get to see it at the cinema in Thailand.

Dear Khun Jim,

Thanks for the post. All publicity is good publicity.

I am a frequent reader of the thaivisa posts, and I thought I should respond.

The ghost film is one of the oldest and still most popular genres in Thailand.

Yes, I've heard stories about girls not wanting to eat fish because it might come from Phuket and the fish might have been eating dead bodies.

And I've heard Thai people saying they would be scared to go to Phuket because of all the ghosts.

The strange thing is that while the fear of ghosts is genuine, Thais do derive a lot of pleasure from being scared by ghosts. There are numerous comic books and cheap novels about ghosts, television programmes about ghost experiences, soap operas and of course films.

I don't see any sign that this has been diminished by the tragedy of the tsunami.

One could perhaps even rather goulishly say that the opposite is true, and that it has added more fuel to the fire.

We are indeed having trouble getting distribution for the film. Certainly it is true that we have received feedback saying that this is a risky subject for a distributor to handle, and that it could produce more controversy than a distributor would want to have to handle.

But I think the fact that it has achieved so much overseas, won awards and critical praise will help us. I hope it is becoming clear that this isn't just another exploitative expose of Thai prostitution - that it is a film I made with sincerity and at least deserves to be taken seriously.

I hope that it will get some form of release very soon.

Best wishes,

Paul Spurrier

Director

'P'

[email protected]