Us Of Uk Tv In Thailand

m_j_d

Thailand uses Pal B/M standard, UK uses Pal I; what this means is you will get a colour picture, but no sound on standard UK models, as the sound carrier offset is different. However, if the set is multistandard - look at the manual or google for the model number, then it may well work correctly. Alternatively, you could buy a local VCR and use that as a tuner connected to the AV-in on your TV. Your UK VCR wont work, for the same reason, the sound channel is on a different frequency offset. And probably cheaper to replace than convert. And a DVD player will work, as the video/sound are directly connected.

Edited by OliverWard

Oliver is 100% correct :D:D

Your plasma may work (it will certainly work for satellite TV and DVD's), IF it gets here in one piece, they are very delicate bits of kit, shipping companies understand that the letters F R A G I L E mean 'OK to drop from 6 feet onto concrete and run over with a fork-lift' :o:D

There are also rules about importing electrical/electronic goods, your shipping agent should be up to speed on them.

Forget everything else, it's cheaper to buy new here than to ship and pay the import 'duty' (including tea money).

Just my 2 satang.

DC

A UK VCR will work, except for the tuner.

However, - are you planning on watching/recording terrestrial Thai TV? If you're only planning on watching satellite, they'd be fine.

However, I would be seriously worried about shipping a plasma TV. (they're VERY fragile ) I would also be a little worried about the import duty...

Oliver is 100% correct  :D  :D

Your plasma may work (it will certainly work for satellite TV and DVD's), IF it gets here in one piece, they are very delicate bits of kit, shipping companies understand that the letters F R A G I L E mean 'OK to drop from 6 feet onto concrete and run over with a fork-lift'  :o  :D

There are also rules about importing electrical/electronic goods, your shipping agent should be up to speed on them.

Forget everything else, it's cheaper to buy new here than to ship and pay the import 'duty' (including tea money).

Just my 2 satang.

DC

Spot on .It makes for an expensive cuppa. :D