CRES Imposes Curfew In Bangkok, many provinces

webfact

What happens to the weary traveller wh arrives on a plane after 8pm and wants to go to his/her hotel. got to stay at the airport till 6 am I guess.

Can do.

Take ticket, passport, with you.

Was on TV.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have problems with communication? I'm in Ladprao area and 12call stop working from some hours, anyone have the same problem?

Also I'm waiting a friend that will come from Koh Chang, was on a minubus one hours ago, anyone know if will be allowed to come in bangkok?

UPDATE:

The Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has announced curfew in Bangkok and nearby cities and provinces in the North and Northeast earlier placed under emergency law.

People in areas under curfew are not allowed to leave their homes from 8pm to 6am, with immediate effect.

State authorities are allowed to perform their duties in the restricted areas to restore peace and order.

The curfew order was signed by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva late this afternoon.

-- Source: Bangkok Post 2010-05-19

any more details on the curfew, where and what cannot ( other than in the street ) ?

I don't understand much about the Thai curfew, same as the western one ?

Let me make it real clear since you're rather slow to catch on to things here....It means: Stay the <deleted> OFF THE STREETS!

UPDATE:

The Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has announced curfew in Bangkok and nearby cities and provinces in the North and Northeast earlier placed under emergency law.

People in areas under curfew are not allowed to leave their homes from 8pm to 6am, with immediate effect.

State authorities are allowed to perform their duties in the restricted areas to restore peace and order.

The curfew order was signed by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva late this afternoon.

any more details on the curfew, where and what cannot ( other than in the street ) ?

A curfew in this instance regarding Thailand can be used to try and halt civil disorders.

It is a restrictive measure forcing persons into their homes/ remain at home at the times stated to reduce disorder against the Government and Army, allowing them to try and regain control of the situation.

Edited by MB1

I think they should send someone to pay a "respectful" visit to mr. Takhsin, wherever that coward is hiding.

HE IS SHOPPING AT LOUIS VOUITTON IN PARIS........WAS ON THE NET....

Well, I guess is not living at Luois Vuitton all the time...

anyone from Chiang Mai? I'm watching reports from Chiang Mai Mail on the Facebook The reds blocked Nawarot Bridge, burning tires, buildings on fire, banks are being robbed... Lots of helicopters in the air - that's all i can see.. (sorry for off topic, someone should create a topic for the news from the provinces - i can see that there is a lot of this suff happening)

Yes, you are correct, they are burning tyres on the bridge, they are also burning a bank on Thapae, beats burning rice stuble I suppose.

Most of these building are made of block and concrete. How do you burn concrete?

Been living in Thailand since 1987 and that's the first time that i will be

under curfew,, first time for everything i guess.

There was a curfew for one night during the 1992 unrest. Being a reckless young man at the time, I went out for a ride on my motorbike and rode along totally empty streets, dodging main intersections where the troops were. A surreal night that I will never forget.

anyone from Chiang Mai? I'm watching reports from Chiang Mai Mail on the Facebook The reds blocked Nawarot Bridge, burning tires, buildings on fire, banks are being robbed... Lots of helicopters in the air - that's all i can see.. (sorry for off topic, someone should create a topic for the news from the provinces - i can see that there is a lot of this suff happening)

Yes, you are correct, they are burning tyres on the bridge, they are also burning a bank on Thapae, beats burning rice stuble I suppose.

Most of these building are made of block and concrete. How do you burn concrete?

By using petrols poured over the rubber tire like what you see on the streets.

Prudent security measure. Those outside after that time should be immediately restrained and detained.

In some ways, this might be a danger time for farangs, the reds are now a deranged mob, and there could be random violence or attacks anywhere.

More than likely. The reds aren't gonna go away any time soon. Bombs,car bombs, arson and random shootings will be the order of the day from now on. Baghdad on Chao Phaya.

Thaksin alluded to this when interviewed. Guerilla tactics he mentioned. Whether it was a call by him or just an observation , who knows?

The army should use the curfew to mop up the redshirts... They are clearly insane.... They should shoot looters and arsonists on sight and arrest others. Perhaps there should be a nationwide curfew as there was in Korea through the 1970s (had it's advantages not being able to leave a pub or club after (I believe) 10 PM... been a long time..

The curfew thing seems to be a case of 'better safe than sorry' and to facilitate 'mopping up' operations - I hope that's all.

It will be interesting to see whether the authorities here in Bangkhen (Yes - that's in Bangkok, all you Nana-lovers) stop people from venturing out to the mouth of my soi - or prevent workers from coming home.

Somehow I doubt it.

BTW: Is Nana still a fire-trap with basically only one way out ? ( Don't ask me how I know.)

it's pointless to do curfew in the whole bangkok - most of the areas are peaceful.

Sorry Mate, that was yesterday - today it is spreading - fast ....

UPDATE:

Be cools and have a glass of beer, get your rations before all shops are closed at 8pm :)

Let me make it real clear since you're rather slow to catch on to things here....It means: Stay the <deleted> OFF THE STREETS!

I live in A-Space Condo on Din Daeng road and the Bangkok Bank Branch right next to the condo was burnt down. The firefighters were there at 15:00. I don't see inside but there is definitely quite some damages inside. The telephone booths have been destroyed all along the road, the shattered glass spread everywhere. There is a tire barricade at the interstection Din Daeng - Pracha Songkhro with a red shirt mob of less than one hundred persons. There is pratically no traffic in the street, even if it would be an heavy rush hour at this time of the day. The local market is still full of people but the small shops are already preparing to close.

What is not clear is how many of those animals are devastating Bangkok, are not all those sensitive sites been guarded by army (I don't mention police as they worth nothing)?

Due to what they are doing, and as I already said, they deserve to be shot at sight otherwise this mess will go on for a looong time.

Shoot a few more you say! worked well this far.

seems all over now... all over bangkok and thailand that is with gov in panic mode promising reconcilliation, red leaders to be involved, democratic reform..... if only they do that after they steal power from thaksin.

Abhisit next to go because this is just start and army not have enough reliable soldiers. if they shoot more, they going to get shot by red soldiers. count on it friends because some they arest today are soldiers who went to fight with reds.

Thaksin lawyer say on news going to sue mark and start look for thai assests from elite in england and seize!!! be nice money for thaksin to spend when pm again.

Prudent security measure. Those outside after that time should be immediately restrained and detained.

In some ways, this might be a danger time for farangs, the reds are now a deranged mob, and there could be random violence or attacks anywhere.

More than likely. The reds aren't gonna go away any time soon. Bombs,car bombs, arson and random shootings will be the order of the day from now on. Baghdad on Chao Phaya.

Thaksin alluded to this when interviewed. Guerilla tactics he mentioned. Whether it was a call by him or just an observation , who knows?

The army should use the curfew to mop up the redshirts... They are clearly insane.... They should shoot looters and arsonists on sight and arrest others.

I suspect that is what they have in mind.

Certainly more proof that it is no longer about democracy or anything that is for the betterment of the country. These people are nothing more than thugs with nothing better to do except be destructive just for the fun of it. A curfew is a good idea and should be strictly enforced. Is there any reason the world community is allowing the instigator/financier to not be arrested for some inciting terrorism? I fear the world doesn't take the Thai integrity seriously and doubt the accusations. :)

True mate. Black ops- Thaksin dead. Then take out his ridiculously stupid pilfering cowardly family and all who supported him. Make the daughter first though. Spastic comments yesterday- according to my wife. Busy buying Louis Vuitton with her criminal father. The RED Shirts are just plain stupid though. Poor country folk who took 1000 baht handouts from The moon faced Thaksin, mounted on the back of a pickup, like some bringer of good fortune. Vote buying? Absolutely! Did they think he was going to keep handing out money indefinately? The answer to that is obviously yes.

Edited by leeriley

What are the surrounding cities and provinces?

How about Chonburi / Pattaya?

I can't find any details. Not that I want to go out today, but maybe still do some shopping.

Cheers

My Flight arrives at BKK at 18:10, obviously I will not head into Bangkok. What are chances of making it to Pattaya, do they have curfew as well?

Yes. Why don't you sleep over at the airport. There is Novotel.

it's pointless to do curfew in the whole bangkok - most of the areas are peaceful.

Was quiet this morning before somebody try restore order.

must be this is most disaster resoration of peace ever in history is it.

What are the surrounding cities and provinces?

How about Chonburi / Pattaya?

I can't find any details. Not that I want to go out today, but maybe still do some shopping.

Cheers

I also would like to know details of the exact area covered by the Curfew.

Just shut up or go to join your red friends.

Good work red shirts, burn down the entire city...sure this will win the hearts and minds of the other 99.9% NOT involved.

Red Shirts are done, FOREVER, Thaksin will be on the run, and hopefully hunted down and shot like the rabid dog that he is!!

Curfew!! that would be only for Thai's right, I need to get my evenings beering at Nana

CRES has stated that people should stay in their homes from 8pm and that includes all foreigners. I am pretty sure all entertainment venues will be closed as all the Thais will have to conform. People who are travelling are required to have their passports and tickets with them! So if I were you ..don't risk it!

A curfew (Viking) can also be used to try and curb juvenile delinquency... :)

Edited by MB1