CRES Imposes Curfew In Bangkok, many provinces

webfact

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the same and it's a bit concerning. Not that I cant live without FB, but info control under any circumstances is a slippery slope. Skyping my friend in China to see how to skirt the block, but not sure if I can be bothered...I guess the reds and Taksin cronies dont tweet? Twitter is still up and running...

Some solutions:

www.unblockfacebook.ca

www.tor.org

Google for proxy server

It's illegal in Thailand and punishable by jail. Welcome to Democracy.

Sorry can someone confirm this? Is it illegal to have google as proxy server?

I just got the same and it's a bit concerning. Not that I cant live without FB, but info control under any circumstances is a slippery slope. Skyping my friend in China to see how to skirt the block, but not sure if I can be bothered...I guess the reds and Taksin cronies dont tweet? Twitter is still up and running...

Some solutions:

www.unblockfacebook.ca

www.tor.org

Google for proxy server

It's illegal in Thailand and punishable by jail. Welcome to Democracy.

Normal rules here say not to talk about proxy because it always gets into a lot of weird things. Don't by pass a government blocked site is the law. No illegal use of a proxy and its not the use of a proxy that is illegal. clear as mud. Most proxy like google they can still trace back to you anyway if they like, so just don't do illegal things and relax.

I'm watching reports from Chiang Mai Mail on the Facebook The reds blocked Nawarot Bridge, burning tires, buildings on fire, banks are being robbed... Lots of helicopters in the air - that's all i can see.. (sorry for off topic, someone should create a topic for the news from the provinces - i can see that there is a lot of this suff happening)

thank youuuuuu for giving me the info!! that latest developments for Chiang Mai are very difficult to find! I definitely need to postpone yg June trip there :)

does ThaiVisa have a separate topic for the news from Chiang Mai, and hopefully Phuket too??

it'd be absolutely helpful!

War

Your jobs are gone.

Time to go home or to another nation farang.

Retired here are you?

Try another nation. Any place is going to be better in Asia than here.

Revolution?

Anarchy?

Class war?

Freedom fight?

Terrorism?

It all depends how you see it but for sure, it is a kickass fight with tons of dead and huge economic losses.

At this stage, going hard as if we where in Iraq in 2003 is the only way to quickly reduce the problems tonight and hopefully take the air out of the mob's balloon of self-importance.

And it worked so well there, didn't it?

The comparison was in the enforcement, not the supposed result; as in Iraq they fought several hundred thousands of young men of two different religious branches and agendas, fueled by neighboring countries. In BKK we might have perhaps 200 people that truly will be causing trouble after this, part of the issue we saw today was group-think, peer-pressure and mob-mentality.

Normal rules here say not to talk about proxy because it always gets into a lot of weird things. Don't by pass a government blocked site is the law. No illegal use of a proxy and its not the use of a proxy that is illegal. clear as mud. Most proxy like google they can still trace back to you anyway if they like, so just don't do illegal things and relax.

OK, I think I get it now. I can use google proxy as fas as I am not py-passing blocked web sites. But if I use google just because the proxies of TOT are slow as donkeys I have no problem. I hope it is not illegal to say that the TOT proxies are slow as donkeys :)

OK, I think I get it now. I can use google proxy as fas as I am not py-passing blocked web sites. But if I use google just because the proxies of TOT are slow as donkeys I have no problem. I hope it is not illegal to say that the TOT proxies are slow as donkeys :)

If it is I am in real big trouble already. :D ToT Totally out of Touch :D

anyone from Chiang Mai? I'm watching reports from Chiang Mai Mail on the Facebook The reds blocked Nawarot Bridge, burning tires, buildings on fire, banks are being robbed... Lots of helicopters in the air - that's all i can see.. (sorry for off topic, someone should create a topic for the news from the provinces - i can see that there is a lot of this suff happening)

just found out that there'r forums for chiangmai and phuket, just to name a few.

chiang mai forum: http:// www.thaivisa. com/forum/ Chiangmai-Forum-f28.html

phuket forum: http:// www.thaivisa. com/forum/ Phuket-Forum-f31.html

SOOO GLAD i found thaivisa!!

UPDATE:

CRES Imposes Curfew In Bangkok, many provinces

The Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has announced curfew in Bangkok and nearby cities and provinces in the North and Northeast earlier placed under emergency law.

People in areas under curfew are not allowed to leave their homes from 8pm to 6am, with immediate effect.

State authorities are allowed to perform their duties in the restricted areas to restore peace and order.

The curfew order was signed by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva late this afternoon.

-- Source: Bangkok Post 2010-05-19

any more details on the curfew, where and what cannot ( other than in the street ) ?

I don't understand much about the Thai curfew, same as the western one ?

Let me make it real clear since you're rather slow to catch on to things here....It means: Stay the <deleted> OFF THE STREETS!

'off the street' is understood by default !

does the curfew grant the security the 'right to shoot' if anyone on the street ? or just arrest and detent anyone on the street ?

p.s. family member arrives Suvarnabhumi by late evening :-(

OK, look. It's simple. You can break the curfew and find out what it means, or you can obey the curfew. I'm sure arriving passengers at the airport will be made aware of the curfew, or maybe you can leave a message with the airline, or you can head out to the airport before 8PM and plan on remaining there overnight. But under these circumstances, there really can't be any excuse for being out in Bangkok during the curfew hours. If you go out, and get shot (or whatever), I'd have to say you were warned.

I expect MOST police will deal with you reasonably if you have your ID and other reqd documents, but inevitably some either won't or will be wanting to play the usual games. And THEN there's the chance that it won't actually be the police you run into... ...or that run into you... Just do whatever you have to do between 6AM and 8PM and there needn't be any drama. Yeah - you might have to sit at the airport awhile.

Edited by hawker9000

At this stage, going hard as if we where in Iraq in 2003 is the only way to quickly reduce the problems tonight and hopefully take the air out of the mob's balloon of self-importance.

And it worked so well there, didn't it?

The comparison was in the enforcement, not the supposed result; as in Iraq they fought several hundred thousands of young men of two different religious branches and agendas, fueled by neighboring countries. In BKK we might have perhaps 200 people that truly will be causing trouble after this, part of the issue we saw today was group-think, peer-pressure and mob-mentality.

This one takes the prize for today! :D

"A quick out and in to restore democracy!" :)

How many did you "think" you where facing at that time? A few hundred?

You are as missinformed now as then.

Another cock-up advice policy they should brought out the curfew when it was active with protestor. Now protestor is gone then he brought out this curfew. Does he use his upper part to do his thinking or the lower part I wonder? Try to act tough now only confirm that our country isn’t safe yet for tourism.

I have to say that I am so annoyed and actually really angry with TV..... not one single SMS the whole day in regards to what was happening in Chiang Mai yesterday... all the information I got was from friends calling me and my housekeepers friends calling her. The only sms TV sent out was about the curfew and even that came 2 hours after the fact What the hel_l....??? And of course even now there is nothing about all that went down in CM yesterday :)

anyone from Chiang Mai? I'm watching reports from Chiang Mai Mail on the Facebook The reds blocked Nawarot Bridge, burning tires, buildings on fire, banks are being robbed... Lots of helicopters in the air - that's all i can see.. (sorry for off topic, someone should create a topic for the news from the provinces - i can see that there is a lot of this suff happening)

Prudent security measure. Those outside after that time should be immediately restrained and detained.

In some ways, this might be a danger time for farangs, the reds are now a deranged mob, and there could be random violence or attacks anywhere.

Yes.. and the gov't is out of control and irresponsible..could be random violence or attacks everywhere. I admire your one-sided view...

Edited by freedom4life

Prudent security measure. Those outside after that time should be immediately restrained and detained.

No, I don't think so. Dictatorship/communist regimes are not very appealing.

No not appealing at all, so that's why they can't let The Reds help Thaksin take over the country.

<snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
Flame deleted

No, I don't think so. Dictatorship/communist regimes are not very appealing.

No not appealing at all, so that's why they can't let The Reds help Thaksin take over the country.

For another American I find you amazingly obtuse in some of your posts. Rush would be proud.

still use the clever words to mask that you know and learn nothing again!

big crackdown but backlash 100 times biger than crackdown.

is same everytime army put dems in, take opposition out, prop up dems, undermine thaksin. nobody learn from falang side that this is a totallitarian regime of rich thai/chinese elite. But because a falang think he smarter and richer than a Thai Peasant, he like to imagine he is one of elite :):D:D even more funny is this now because falangs cannot go to bar every night for ego massage and lord it over poor farmers (who he dispise) daughters.

At least I know that you never going to learn anything. despite it, things going to change in thailand and you going to be more and more out of the touch.

Was the curfew only for one night (last night), or is it in effect "until further notice?"

One night was all the was said, but they will await developments and decide for tonight.

Up to the reds in the streets I suspect.

RETRACT THAT...

just got a Emessage, it is now extended for 3 more nights.

Looks like they know something we don't...

Inconvenient, but much safer for law abiding citizens.

I'll count myself amongst those,

no matter F4L's blinkered point of view

Edited by animatic

Stay the &lt;deleted&gt; OFF THE STREETS!

Good advice. Just thought I'd repeat it.

Quite simply, no. Go where I want, when I want. Abbhist and his loyal lapdogs can go ........... themselves.

Advocating breaking a government decreed curfew will not be permitted on the forum.

Please desist, or you will be subject to posting rights suspension from the forum.

I'm leaving this here as a public warning to other wannabe renegades.

Shoot them on site?

Little harsh ... actually very sad comment

How about "stop or we will shoot"

"stop or we will shoot" doesn't work, the government tried all the peaceful possible ways since two months and the reds thugs didn't wanted to hear anything.

Enough is enough. This bunch of thugs is putting the country on fire, so SHOOT them, ALL of them.

NO PRISONERS.

Edited by bagheera65

What happens to the weary traveller wh arrives on a plane after 8pm and wants to go to his/her hotel. got to stay at the airport till 6 am I guess.

Can do.

Take ticket, passport, with you.

Was on TV.

And pray to your higher power that police or military dont look at your ride and assume its Red Shirt Taxi driver with molotov cocktails on board.