Bangkok: Central World Shopping Mall Destroyed By Fire

webfact

IF Thailand is undemocratic at the moment, AND the "reds" represent democracy.

Then Thailand seems not mature enough for democracy.

Either way the country seems to be heading sadly towards military rule or dictatorship.

Sad :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah yeah, the same could be said from the yellow shirt, and their protests lasted a lot longer. The death toll under the reds is horrendous, it surpsirses me they didn't behave more violently.

Double standards is the key word here.

Or did you forget the charge of the army over a month ago, it seems you did, and still the PM is allowed to carry on, amazing, no other word for it.

Your mental gymnastics and false equivalency. It amuses me.

What a load of BS. All these people are, are terrorists. That word is over used these days, but anyone who would kill, bomb, burn the residents and businesses of a city are clearly a threat.

After its all said and done it seems that the reds will lose the respect they had earned, and the bargaining chips they had are gone.

No taking the side of reds. I believe they did the worst thing possible to destroy the Thailand economy as much as Abhisit and his cronies did.

On the other hand, your definition reminds me role of USA in Iraq and Afghanistan and YES, Isreal in Palestine too. :)

Let's stop feeding the trolls, please. Always the some crap over and over. :D

For some people only posted 42 messages so far.. what should we address you? A real Thailander? Should we give any award to you by keeping quiet?

Said the member with 35 posts...but mysteriously "awarded" with 1 star already, on the same day he became a member.... :)

Magician ?

LaoPo

Surely not still with the star, obsession crusade nonsense Mr LaoPo? :D

....spoke the (one of the very few left) 4 star member, awarded by banned and returning member(s) with nick names;

.....but a new member, awarded with 1 star, the same day he became a member is probably a record don't you agree Rixalex ?

crusade nonsense ? I'm not the one giving away stars to -just- friends....and certainly not to a newcomer with 35 posts.... :D

LaoPo

It is already some days ago I was close at the barricade near Victory monument. Big dark clouds of burning tires where going up in the sky. There was a woman with a speaker telling about the situation of the reds behind the barricades, she was definetely a red shirt supporter.

There were many people just passing by. It was a strange situation. People just passing by to do their thing like we were doing and those scenes of streetwar so close. When the Woman finished her story in wich she was blaming the government for what was happening I was surprised to hear many of the ' ordinary people passing by' aplauding for her. And I was thinking; why do I read the red shirts have lost their support.

I see many people like to point at Thaksin, the red shirts, the redshirt leaders. Some other people, how much I do not know , point to Abhisit and his government. But in fact, Thailand now is harvesting the results of a history in wich a rich elite has been ruling a nation for a long period by greed. One can blame Thaksin and the red shirts, one can blame Abhisit in dealing in his way with these tragic continuing situation. But this did not fall from the sky one day by total surprise. The shopping centre is set on fire were poor people not even were allowed to enter, Now the bank is set on fire were poor people were not allowed to enter. Now government buildings are attacked. This is not about Thaksins, Abhisits, coloured shirts, This is about a great part of the population in Thailand, who, aware or unaware of all the political details, are sick about this continuing history of elite civilians and second class civilians, greed, corruption in money and power, arrogance, inhumanity. It is a sad thing but Thailand is in a situation where many western countries have been before. Where problems existed of the same origin and where people started real fights and even war driven by their feelings of unjustice. Today in modern times, we call these people terrorists and many people think in doing so we solve a problem. I would say, the problems for Thailand maybe have only started now because the other 'terrorists' are the people wearing fine suits, having big estates and many privilliges from their 'friends' and lots and lots of money on their bankaccounts, money that belong to the people of Thailand. They have been well dressed terrorists for many decennia in the past history. They do not fight on the streets they do not die on the streets, they die in their bed. they are not called 'terrorists' , but 'succesfull bussinespeople'. They have no plans to leave their golden 'barricades' by wich they can occupy the golden roads of their fortune centers.

Interesting, I know quite a good number of "poor" people from Isaan and elsewhere in Thailand. And every single one of them goes to banks (and has an account), goes shopping in Tesco Lotus, frequents 7-11, and so on. The ones that I know in Bangkok earning basic monthly salaries doing menial jobs still go walk through Central World and Siam Paragon on their day off, and some of them even spend their hard earned money on buying an MRT ticket and using the transport system. And none of them go out and burn down all of these places even if they might be considered on the "have not" end of the spectrum. On the other hand you are completely right, Takki wears fine suits and certainly has a few big estates and more than a lot of money in his various bank accounts. And yet he isn't seen as a terrorist but as a successful businessperson, getting new passports to different countries and engaging in new business investments daily.

I'm blaming the Thai govt for all the blood and violence. They're the one bringing the tanks, and machine guns to crush people fighting with bamboo sticks. The Thai govt could stop this violence, but they chose to kill people instead. The PM is a liar and a flipflopper.

what did i miss?

WHAT DID I MISS???

Klong Toey MRT Station

Kasikorn Soi Ngamduplee, Siam City Bank, Siam Centre

Central World

Siam Square/Siam Theatre

Diamond Condominium (Behind CW)

Platinum Fashion Mall

Bangkok Bank, Tesco Rama IV

Ch.3/Maleenont Building Rama IV

Thai SET

Tesco OnNut

Century Park Hotel

7-Eleven shop, Din Daeng

Manhattan Plaza (Plenchit BTS)

Bkk Bank, Asoke

Krueng Thai Bank, Asoke

Bkk Bank, Phrakanog

Bkk Bank, Victory Monument

Metropolitan Electricity office Klong Toei

Govt Savings Bank in Dindaeng

20 Telephone booths in Din Daeng

Office of Narcotics Control Board at Dindaeng

Office Building Din Daeng ( 12 year old )

Chang Mai Construction Company

BKK Bank, Chiang Mai

Khon Kaen City Hall

Udorn Thani City Hall

Ubon Ratchananee City Hall

Nonthaburi City Hall

Mukdaharn City Hall

Nakhon Ratchasima City Hall

IT Seer Rangsit

Seacon Square

Lad Prao Big C

Center One Mall Victory Monument

7/11, Victory Monument

Kasikorn Bank, Victory Monument

Government Saving Bank (Mitr-maitree Road)

Bkk Bank, Hua Lumpong

if there would be rightousness in the system there would be no protest.

If the large majority wouldn't have been kept down on education, chanceless to make a better living than low labour work like the nurturers of the big bumble bee (BKK).

There would be no way of whatever leader (call them corrupt or not) to instumentalize and chanellize the emotions of supression and unjustness for his own goals.

("yeah teach the stupid folks your understanding of democracy")

And then farrangs write from their cosy chairs and judge, when there is fire and protest.

The happenings of the last months should show the so called "elite" - what will happen if they won't change the system to be more just for the poors, the majority of the country - well, would things change without any protest?

Just to add something else you selfrightous folks.

Look at Greece, look at France, ... maybe Germany too ... what happened and will happen, if our dreamworld changes, our money worth nothing anymore ... and if we would be forced to send our children to labor or prostitution to make a living -

One can be suprised how quick thinks move.

If you want rant about my english - do so - I don't care, am no english anyway.

tssssssssssss

Edited by Maxi101

what did i miss?

WHAT DID I MISS???

Klong Toey MRT Station

Kasikorn Soi Ngamduplee, Siam City Bank, Siam Centre

Central World

Siam Square/Siam Theatre

Diamond Condominium (Behind CW)

Platinum Fashion Mall

Bangkok Bank, Tesco Rama IV

Ch.3/Maleenont Building Rama IV

Thai SET

Tesco OnNut

Century Park Hotel

7-Eleven shop, Din Daeng

Manhattan Plaza (Plenchit BTS)

Bkk Bank, Asoke

Krueng Thai Bank, Asoke

Bkk Bank, Phrakanog

Bkk Bank, Victory Monument

Metropolitan Electricity office Klong Toei

Govt Savings Bank in Dindaeng

20 Telephone booths in Din Daeng

Office of Narcotics Control Board at Dindaeng

Office Building Din Daeng ( 12 year old )

Chang Mai Construction Company

BKK Bank, Chiang Mai

Khon Kaen City Hall

Udorn Thani City Hall

Ubon Ratchananee City Hall

Nonthaburi City Hall

Mukdaharn City Hall

Nakhon Ratchasima City Hall

IT Seer Rangsit

Seacon Square

Lad Prao Big C

Center One Mall Victory Monument

7/11, Victory Monument

Kasikorn Bank, Victory Monument

Government Saving Bank (Mitr-maitree Road)

Bkk Bank, Hua Lumpong

And what about Pantip Plaza?

I sure hope my favorite computer mall is still intact.

Wrong SomTum...! The good, honest and disenfranchised citizens of Thailand do not deserve being trampled and killed by the very Army that is paid to protect them.

When a legitimate government, elected by the citizens of Thailand, returns the country to the people then the old guard of the Army should be retired and a new generation should begin to restore the integrity of the Army.

Your rants and name calling have nomeaning.

Mr. Pot, please meet your new best friend Mr Kettle...I can only say thank goodness for people like you, we all need a bit of levity in times like this

Actually I don't agree - I think that it's not right to have this kind of stupid banality right now. It's not a mall or a cinema that's gone up flames; it's the immediate future of a country that I have loved and called home and been honoured to be a guest in for the last 16 years and the pain is only intensified by the kind of quarter-witted outpourings of moronic provocateurs at times like this. If they had any real feelings for Thailand, they'd put their half-baked, ill-informed politicising on the back burner and just do everyone a favour by <deleted> off.

What a load of BS. All these people are, are terrorists. That word is over used these days, but anyone who would kill, bomb, burn the residents and businesses of a city are clearly a threat.

After its all said and done it seems that the reds will lose the respect they had earned, and the bargaining chips they had are gone.

Nope, they are freedom fighters going to extraordinary lengths to achieve the outcome most of us take for granted.

Is the French Revolution regarded as acts of terrorism? Did anyone call the Greece rioters terrorists? And you haven't seen the last of Europe in flames either, guaranteed.

And it really is none of our f**king business...

yep as the previous poster said, these red animals are 100% terrorists. no idea <deleted> youre going on about with this europe crap. savage terrorists who belong behind bars for a few decades. they are pawns of thaksin who do not think, just do as told for a few baht. they have all the freedom they need up with their kwais on the rice farms. this aint no freedom fight. it's a pawn payoff by a master terrorist named thaksin who will be brought to justice and hopefully tried and convicted and given a death sentence. Amen

as tothe French revolution,which needn't be dragged here but as you like, quite a few French people

think it was all a bloody butchery and it doesn't take a Ph D in history to know there actually was culture , reasonable civil rights (as compared to the rest of Europe) and sound economics in the old regime ; a long- hidden fact is several years of failed crops due to freak climate. A lesser known fact is the king paid for wheat for the poor on his own money ; ( he had set a good system of emergency granaries , unfortunately

with corrupt directors). Rousseau 's ideas were misrepresented by the revolutionaries. The condition of the peasants was generally better than it was for a long time after. and so on and so forth; just looking about him the not- too- stupid French can see several kingdoms , none of which is home to slave subjects, several of which enjoy an enviable general level .

As to Greek rioters I do call them terrorists and think what they deserve is another colonel's regime - Turkish colonels this time.

I suspect there were plain ordinary mafia doing odd jobs for the reds , not for a hundred baht a day, and now the country's got a new class of hardened criminals loosely connected and ready for any shady operation.

Keep cool all good mates .

PS as to my f*g business, I, like lots of us here, am blessed with a Thaï son, which makes the present situation a bit of my f*g business though I wouldn't state it this way in front of him , let alone his mother who thinks I'm pak pit anyway , and of course I'd hate to offend my (ex but beloved) numerous in -law, from BKK to CM, for whom I have a very special thought to night.

Edited by souvenirdeparis

If the large majority wouldn't have been kept down on education, chanceless to make a better living than low labour work like the nurturers of the big bumble bee (BKK).

There would be no way of whatever leader (call them corrupt or not) to instumentalize and chanellize the emotions of supression and unjustness for his own goals.

And then farrangs write from their cosy chairs and judge, when there is fire and protest.

The happenings of the last months should show the so called "elite" - what will happen if they won't change the system to be more just for the poors, the majority of the country - well, would things change without any protest?

Look at Greece, look at France, ... maybe Germany too ... what happened and will happen, if our dreamworld changes, our money worth nothing anymore ... and if we would be forced to send our children to labor or prostitution to make a living -

tssssssssssss

Excellent post. Don't worry about your English - I can understand it better than some of the "native" English speakers here. :)

Either way the country seems to be heading sadly towards military rule or dictatorship.

heading for?

This is a dictatorship and we have military rule.

And its not a matter of maturity.. there is no such thing as a mature human even the biggest genius does silly childish things

Its a matter of honesty and integrity

Corruption is rife in Thailand and you can see how everyone from the taxi drive through policemen right up to politicians can be bought for a price. This reflects the high percentage ration of corrupt hearts in the Nation.

Education starts at home - this is the problem. A corrupt mother and father will give rise to a corrupt offspring.

So how do you break the circuit?

In the schools.

One thing i have noticed is that morality is not taught in schools here.

Right and wrong is.. but rules like that are just temptations to break them.

A sense of shame and responsibility is necessary to instill into people when still being educated.

Thats my theory anyway..maybe im wrong.

I often wonder though what the root cause is why certain countries and cultures are predominantly corrupt, and others not?

Any more ideas or opinions on what causes this?

I think the reds are basically peacefull, but Abhisit always changes his mind saying I will desolve parliament and organise elections, the putting all this on hold!

How can anyone trust him?

I would get violent too

Abhisit has to resign if he wants peace back in Thailand!

After taking 40 lives, people's emotion will be hard to be contained.

This is the results of playing hard ball. It will always bounce back.

...say 2 supporters of the blackshirts, whose political strategy amounts to tyre burning and building destruction.

...and having a whistle in the dark....

heading for?

And its not a matter of maturity.. there is no such thing as a mature human even the biggest genius does silly childish things

Corruption is rife in Thailand and you can see how everyone from the taxi drive through policemen right up to politicians can be bought for a price. This reflects the high percentage ration of corrupt hearts in the Nation.

Education starts at home - this is the problem. A corrupt mother and father will give rise to a corrupt offspring.

In the schools.

A sense of shame and responsibility is necessary to instill into people when still being educated.

I often wonder though what the root cause is why certain countries and cultures are predominantly corrupt, and others not?

Why don't you ask your hero Thaksin?

tssssssssssss

If you have a look at the countries in the world with the biggest income inequalities between rich and poor (using the UN Gini index, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...ncome_equality), you will find that places like Namibia, Brazil, Venezuela, Guatemala, Ecuador, and the Dominican Republic all come up much higher on the list then Thailand. And yet, strangely enough, nobody in those countries is burning down all the banks, shopping malls, and places of the rich. Thailand and Cambodia are actually pretty close in ranking, not to mention culture, geography, etc. and if you have ever been to Cambodia, you can easily see that it is far far poorer than Thailand, and that the PM there and his elite cronies are living in golden palaces and doing little to help the downtrodden (in fact making policies to ensure they stay this way). A friend of mine made the cruel observation once that "it seems on some days that in Cambodia, every guy without an education is a moto dop driver and every girl without one is a prostitute." And yet despite the poor majority being completely disenfranchised from the rich elite, the Cambodians dont seem to be burning all the institutions down in Phnom Penh (and if anyone should know about cruel dictators....). I see some young ladies in Bangkok that work in 7-11's or as domestic servants for a paltry 2-300 baht a day, and yet others choose to work in bars instead. Take a bit of responsibility for once, burning down a bank or bombing a department store is not going to get you democracy or justice, it is going to get you a prison sentence or a rapid cremation ceremony.

It is already some days ago I was close at the barricade near Victory monument. Big dark clouds of burning tires where going up in the sky. There was a woman with a speaker telling about the situation of the reds behind the barricades, she was definetely a red shirt supporter.

There were many people just passing by. It was a strange situation. People just passing by to do their thing like we were doing and those scenes of streetwar so close. When the Woman finished her story in wich she was blaming the government for what was happening I was surprised to hear many of the ' ordinary people passing by' aplauding for her. And I was thinking; why do I read the red shirts have lost their support.

I see many people like to point at Thaksin, the red shirts, the redshirt leaders. Some other people, how much I do not know , point to Abhisit and his government. But in fact, Thailand now is harvesting the results of a history in wich a rich elite has been ruling a nation for a long period by greed. One can blame Thaksin and the red shirts, one can blame Abhisit in dealing in his way with these tragic continuing situation. But this did not fall from the sky one day by total surprise. The shopping centre is set on fire were poor people not even were allowed to enter, Now the bank is set on fire were poor people were not allowed to enter. Now government buildings are attacked. This is not about Thaksins, Abhisits, coloured shirts, This is about a great part of the population in Thailand, who, aware or unaware of all the political details, are sick about this continuing history of elite civilians and second class civilians, greed, corruption in money and power, arrogance, inhumanity. It is a sad thing but Thailand is in a situation where many western countries have been before. Where problems existed of the same origin and where people started real fights and even war driven by their feelings of unjustice. Today in modern times, we call these people terrorists and many people think in doing so we solve a problem. I would say, the problems for Thailand maybe have only started now because the other 'terrorists' are the people wearing fine suits, having big estates and many privilliges from their 'friends' and lots and lots of money on their bankaccounts, money that belong to the people of Thailand. They have been well dressed terrorists for many decennia in the past history. They do not fight on the streets they do not die on the streets, they die in their bed. they are not called 'terrorists' , but 'succesfull bussinespeople'. They have no plans to leave their golden 'barricades' by wich they can occupy the golden roads of their fortune centers.

Interesting, I know quite a good number of "poor" people from Isaan and elsewhere in Thailand. And every single one of them goes to banks (and has an account), goes shopping in Tesco Lotus, frequents 7-11, and so on. The ones that I know in Bangkok earning basic monthly salaries doing menial jobs still go walk through Central World and Siam Paragon on their day off, and some of them even spend their hard earned money on buying an MRT ticket and using the transport system. And none of them go out and burn down all of these places even if they might be considered on the "have not" end of the spectrum. On the other hand you are completely right, Takki wears fine suits and certainly has a few big estates and more than a lot of money in his various bank accounts. And yet he isn't seen as a terrorist but as a successful businessperson, getting new passports to different countries and engaging in new business investments daily.

I agree with Jitanshaman; but come to think of it, here in France, I don"t remember seeing any of the many homeless we have in our streets either at my bank or at the nearby Carrefour shopping mall ; they stay outside the mall , even in winter.

heading for?

In the schools.

Did i say i liked Thaksin??

You obviously dont read me well.

I was one of the first to jump for joy when he was ousted - i didnt say that i think the current gov wasnt good - i said it is a Dictatorship, which it is in legal terminology. Half the news agencies of the world use this word to describe the current gov. This doesnt mean they are angry with this gov.

In the same way you dont call a gov which ousted the previous through a military coup a democracy.

I am talking about semantics, not political opinion or disapproval/approval.

I dont like any political party to be honest and think that all politicians are thieves and con men and liars. - But some are worse than others.

So no, Thaksin is not my hero.

I was just defining the legal definition for the present gov.

Shame you didnt have any ideas or opinions on my question though. It would have been more entertaining than the stupid response you gave .. however did you come to the conclusion that Thaksin is my hero??

Edited by thailandfaq

Let's stop feeding the trolls, please. Always the some crap over and over. :)

For some people only posted 42 messages so far.. what should we address you? A real Thailander? Should we give any award to you by keeping quiet?

Newsflash there Mr. Lemon, it's not the quantity it's the content.

Show me some of your contents which are deemed to be quality and moderate.. I will keep my mouth shut ..

Quick, someone show him some!!

heading for?

In the schools.

why don't you consider moving to another country if you think so poorly about LOS ? like, come and see " shame and responsibility" in an average French suburb school? wait a minute... did you really mean it's necessary to instill a sense of +shame+ to pupils...?

or do you mean pride? please, you're not considering teaching as a career, are you?

heading for?

In the schools.

My daughters do a morality class at their school - which is a Thai shool (albeit a private one)

as part of the curiculum one lesson period a week each.

I think the reds are basically peacefull, but Abhisit always changes his mind saying I will desolve parliament and organise elections, the putting all this on hold!

How can anyone trust him?

I would get violent too

Abhisit has to resign if he wants peace back in Thailand!

You are a total fool. Educate yourself. Open your eyes. Understand what is around you then come back to this forum.

CRES: Arsonists/terrorists May Face Maximum Penalty of Capital Punishment

During an official press conference by the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation has called perpetrators who are setting fire to buildings and locations in Bangkok and those who are staging terror attacks in the capital city and other areas of Thailand could face the maximum penalty of capital punishment. The CRES is urging families and relatives of those individuals to discourage them from being involved in illegal acts.

I've got no complaints about this!  :)

I curiously noted that my GF that is leaning to the Red didn't mind this either...

Not to step on anybody's feet, but I actually asked myself the same question. Does Central World not have a sprinkle system? If it does, and I think it must have one, why did it not work? Now I won't blame the government for it, but the question why the fire extinguishers in Central World didn't work sounds reasonable to me.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about the firefighters, but they DO have sprinklers inside the building. There's one like every few feet. It might have been because the water was switched off. Great planning whoever did it.

So what you are saying is that if the water was turned off - not proven or might not matter btw - then the blame must surely lie with the government and the terrorist element that started the fire and made sure fire trucks could not reach the site is free of blame?