Tourist Police Volonteers

gotte

Tourist Police Volonteers!![/sup]

Tousrist Police Volonteers requested for The Tourist Police station at Rama VIII Bridge. The work will be during your free time go with a Thai Tourist Police officer during his dayly responcibilities. One Day training will be held before startin your work.

This is a good opportunity to help both the Thai society and help to increase the trust and security of foreign as well as Thai tourists.

For further questions please contact

Michael Gotte

08-07 85 34 57

Or PM me

One Day training will be held before startin your work.

Well, a very good training.

But we have seen in the last 2 month how R.T.Police professionally operate...

This is a way to help bridge the language barrier between foreign tourists and Thai people and I think it could be a good way to help the tourism to come back and feeling more secure. Please If you can speak Thai and at least one other language contact me for application. The training will probebly be held during the end of this month or beginning of next! As soon as we have enough applicants we can hold the training session.

Michael

Edited by gotte

That's a bit unfair Anguid considering the current circumstances. They're trying to put more English speaking TP on the streets as quickly as possible to help people

This is a way to help bridge the language barrier between foreign tourists and Thai people and I think it could be a good way to help the tourism to come back and feeling more secure. Please If you can speak Thai and at least one other language contact me for application. The training will probebly be held during the end of this month or beginning of next! As soon as we have enough applicants we can hold the training session.

Michael

I am very interested Mr Michael. I have emailed u hope to hear from u soon. Thanks!

That's a bit unfair Anguid considering the current circumstances. They're trying to put more English speaking TP on the streets as quickly as possible to help people

Correction in any missunderstandings:[/b]

The Royal Thai Tourist Police is not increasing it's staff by recuting Foreign officers. You will be helping by patroling together with a Thai officer and this is a volonteer work. The office now in bad need of foreing volonteers is the Thonburi Tourist Police office. If you want to work at other area feel free to contact me and I will forward your application to the right area.

Michael

I would not touch them with a barge pole, unless the Thai Police could show some effort in cleaning themselves up first. example! Big arrest here in Pattaya even on TV, But everything was forgiven with a 300,000 Baht tip. And that is with a nice new clean police chief.

Anything that makes it easier for tourists here is a great idea. Good Luck Michael and great to see someone trying to do something worthwhile and do not pay no attention to the negatife comments

Wouldn't you need a Work Permit for the role ?

I thought even volunteer work was a big no no ?!?

Requirements Work permit and visa and no police record this will be checked . We need staff that is going to work volunterly and is trying to get a big group which will mean less time for everyone to work. Even if you only have a small amount of time we apriciate every one trying to help!!

Requirements Work permit and visa and no police record this will be checked . We need staff that is going to work volunterly and is trying to get a big group which will mean less time for everyone to work. Even if you only have a small amount of time we apriciate every one trying to help!!

So you are ruling out anyone on a marriage or retirement visa I see.

I like the scheme and think it serves a useful purpose.

Pattaya has both Foreign Tourist Police volunteers as well actual (separate) Foreign Police volunteers. Phuket has Tourist Police volunteers too.

Detractors can say what they like but when folks pay for their own uniform, devote their time unpaid and help Thai police help foreigners then it can only be bad if the screening process is poor and that seems to be under control these days.

I know a few very good guys doing the regular police volunteering in Pattaya (don't know any Tourist police volunteers) and have applied myself to Pattaya foreign police volunteers. I hope I can pass the training and evaluation which is considerably longer than mentioned for the Bangkok recruitment.

PS. the requirements seem to be any valid visa other than Tourist Visa plus clean criminal record proof.

Edited by petercool

Let me be skeptical about the professionality of the local Police, Tourist Police and Police Volunteers.

The help people or to help the police officers?

I'm not a cop-bashing. I was (when I was young, sigh) a cop too so, just a little, but I know what I'm talking about.

So you are ruling out anyone on a marriage or retirement visa I see.

Marriage visa or retirement visa will also be under consideration.

I guess you meant professionalism but while it is not Scotland Yard, there are some very good police in the force working under severe handicaps and in my 43 years here I have had many instances to see a favourable side of them. Yes, there is incompetence and corruption everywhere in Thailand but the best of the Police can match those in most countries. Sorry that you have bad experiences when a policeman yourself and again here in Thailand. But any anecdotal horror stories can be matched with equally opposite stories. It's just that the latter are less entertaining and less publicized.

Mr Gotte

Can you clarify. These are simply volunteers (not in police uniform, no weapons, no handcuffs) who act basically as translators for the police officer they are with, is that right?

I ask since in the UK I was a police volunteer for 4 years, I was a lawyer (so I have a very good understanding of criminal procedures), I speak japanese and english fluently but I think my Thai is dodgy, so I could not be an 'interpreter' for the police.

Michael, What protocol do the Thai PD use in their background check? In my country a background check by a foreign country would raise flags on my name, knowing how the government computers work. Why are they checking this persons background?

Does the TPD give work permits?

Does the TPD give us uniforms ? What do they look like ?

What is a "small amount of time" an hour a day , week or month ?

What kind of Visa ?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Michael, What protocol do the Thai PD use in their background check? In my country a background check by a foreign country would raise flags on my name, knowing how the government computers work. Why are they checking this persons background?

What kind of Visa ?

Regarding The Tourist Police giving work permit Bangkok Tourist Police is a volunteer work and therfor you need to have a WP already

Uniforms : We will try to get a sponsor for this and for other necessary eqipments that you need.

Small amount of time : at least a couple of hours a week divided in half a day or a full day. Foreign Tourist Police Force should meet at least once a week.

ANYONE THAT IS INTERESTED ARE WELCOME TO VISIT THE THONBURI TOURIST POLICE STATION UNDER RAMA 8 BRIDGE ON SUNDAY BETWEEN 10.00 - 15.00

IF YOU LIKE TO COME AND HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ROAD PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL ME!!

MICHAEL 08-07 85 34 57

Regarding The Tourist Police giving work permit Bangkok Tourist Police is a volunteer work and therfor you need to have a WP already

This is BS, your work permit is tied to your specific job and location, and can't be used to do other kinds of work, even volunteer.

You will need to sponsor a volunteer WP to work specifically as a volunteer police assistant to be legal.

Please get some legal advise before jumping in and spouting more and more inane requirements at every follow-up post.

WHile there is potential for volunteers to help as liason I think you should think this out a bit more.

Thailand requires a work permit for this. If people join without this they are breaking the law.

Do you really want people who are willing to break laws in this role. I think the problem some other areas have with these volunteers is due to the type of people they attract.

Your area may be different. I do not live there but I recognise a group helping farangs liase with police may be helpful but it must focus on the farang,...not be a pseudo cop.

A couple of questions if I may...

Just wondering why thonburi and not some location a little more on the tourist map like silom or sukhumvit?

Hypothetically, if a farang tourist throws his ciggie on the ground on the other side of the river, will the 2k be split between the 'volunteers' and regular TP?

If a potential volunteer has a green thumb and a fondness for ketchup, will that put him at the front of the line for promotion? :)

What kind of Visa ?

Uniforms : We will try to get a sponsor for this and for other necessary eqipments that you need.

Small amount of time : at least a couple of hours a week divided in half a day or a full day. Foreign Tourist Police Force should meet at least once a week.

ANYONE THAT IS INTERESTED ARE WELCOME TO VISIT THE THONBURI TOURIST POLICE STATION UNDER RAMA 8 BRIDGE ON SUNDAY BETWEEN 10.00 - 15.00

IF YOU LIKE TO COME AND HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ROAD PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL ME!!

MICHAEL 08-07 85 34 57

Michael, Thanks for your reply but no thank you, the work permit is a very serious thing with the Immigration people. cheers.

I went along today but Michael had gone home a couple of hours earlier.

They gave me an application form, asked me come back and to bring two photos and a passport copy.

From the chat between themselves, it does seem to be the polices' intention to make a volunteer police force in the same mould as the volunteer police in Phuket/Chiang Mai/Pattaya.

Oddly, they spoke to me in English and showed little interest in testing my Thai language skills. But they were interested to know how long I had lived in Thailand.

I think this could be interesting.

Even for volunteer work you need a work permit. The work permit anyone currently has is for their current company only and the work is only at the address specified on the work permit. So doing this would be considered illegal in the eyes of the Department of Labor and immigration, even if it is voluntary.

I did some voluntary work in some of the provinces building new schools and repairing older ones, taking them things like computers, fans, and other supplies that were donated. I went with some of my students when I was working at a university. A few weeks later, DOL or immigration (I don't remember which) contacted the university and were going to revoke my visa because they said I was in violation of the terms. The HR guy at the uni made a bit of an arrangement, if you know what I mean, and all was forgotten.

So unless the Tourist Police could provide in writing permission from both immigration and the Department of Labor that it is not a violation of Thai law for one to volunteer, I wouldn't do it.

Personally, I don't agree with this limitation, but unfortunately that's the way it is, unless this has changed recently. The incident I'm referring two happened about a year and a half ago.

No too many tourists around Thonglor, ain't!?! :)

No too many tourists around Thonglor, ain't!?! :)

There are a few and on bigger holidays there is a bigger need to! :D

The reason why Thai Tourist Police dont want to issue a WP for only volunteer work is that there are people that have been violating the rules before.

Regarding WP you are allowed to add workplace into your current WP.

You can add another workplace for the same employer, but you can't add another employer. What is being asked here is illegal unless they do a work permit for you in the name of the Tourist Police, volunteer or not. Anyone's current work permit for teaching at a school or working at a company or anything else won't be valid for volunteer work with any organization. Even if you're doing volunteer work for one organization and have a work permit with them, it won't be valid for any other organization or other volunteer work.

If the Tourist Police have received some kind of permission to do this from the Department of Labor and immigration, fair enough. However, I would ask to see this in writing before volunteering, else you risk having your work permit and visa canceled.