Thailand Imposes Curfew For Three More Nights

webfact

I planned to visit a friend in Lat Phrao (ลาดพร้าว) this weekend, thing is my plane lands at 9pm in Bangkok. Anyone knows if there will be taxis?

Is the curfew strictly applied in Bangkok? Here in Chiang Mai I went out yesterday like any other night, they just stopped serving drinks after 9pm, but we could stay in the bar until 10.30

could be a few taxis or maybe none. I dont see anything out there. I know I would be flying in at that time. might be no taxis to Lat Prao. that is a danger zone. I see smoke billowing from there right now. good luck, hope you dont get picked off

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely absurd! I am an adult with little to fear from the Red Shirts, or anyone else in Bangkok. Once again, the Thai government chooses to treat its citizenry and the others living here as if we are all 12 years old. Why is it that every "solution" from these guys tends towards the lose- lose category? Incidentally, I walked around last night at 10PM. It was quiet, but there were still normal people out and about. One taxi even tried to pick me up for a fare.

yeah, just what the soldiers need is jackasses out and about during the curfew.

Completely absurd! I am an adult with little to fear from the Red Shirts, or anyone else in Bangkok. Once again, the Thai government chooses to treat its citizenry and the others living here as if we are all 12 years old. Why is it that every "solution" from these guys tends towards the lose- lose category? Incidentally, I walked around last night at 10PM. It was quiet, but there were still normal people out and about. One taxi even tried to pick me up for a fare.

I think the gov't has to pass and enforce laws that would seem childish to some because there are so many folks who believe they are above the law ... such as those going out during an ordered curfew during the worst violence Thailand has seen in decades as the army is controlling the streets and lawless individuals are running a muck with grenade launchers, guns while looting and setting fire to buildings.

But other than that ... I can understand where you are coming from.

Looks like the curfew has upset a few farangs.

I think their is a serious reason though why the curfew has been extended for another 3 nights.

All is not well in LOS.

To be out and about during a curfew, you are putting small value on your life.

If you so wish to risk your life in pursuit of pleasure, then so be it.

Many Farangs are like Abhisit, they underestimate the seriousnes and situation.

indeed, but ive had to work all week - so it is slightly annoying to say its safe enough to work but not have a social life in the evening at the weekend.

In case you haven't noticed, the country is in deep <deleted> and 3 or so day's without hitting the bars will not kill you, a bunch of the terrorists will and if they are not stopped you won't want to be here anymore.

Keep you ass at home for a coupple more day's so the army can do its job and hopefully kill all those looting and torching bastards and the country recover from this Thasksin induced mess.

Great news for Pattaya already on its knees, now this, way over the top

Selfish attitude. But, what can one expect from the typical Pattaya Farang?

News Flash: This isn't over. There is still fighting, burning and looting going on. My GF's brother is a CID Bangkok cop undercover with the redshirts, monitoring and reporting on their continuing activities. It's turning into a guerilla war. He told her this morning, that the authorities believe that Bangkok will not be completely safe for some time to come, maybe years.

So, a curfew should be the least of your worries.

1 night of curfew is bad enough but another three ?!! :) That means Sir Norman Jay's visit to Bed Supperclub on Friday will be cancelled and that is seriously bad news.

How am I to spend my money don't forget the world as we know it ends on 21 December 2012 I have too much money to spend in the short time available. Can anybody recommend some Thai lady to help me get rid of the money.

Why take the slightest risk?

Abnormal situations, like a curfew, give the average criminal/nutter the perfect chance to target any farang for reward or spite. There is a tinge of anarchy about the place. This gives rise to extra criminal activities, which will have nothing to do with red shirts.

Who would totally trust some of the BiB not to take advantage of their authority to make more baht. The "being caught smoking scam" would have nothing on the opportunities provided by this free for all.

At least the drinking end of Bkk. Soi 13 is safer for a few nights.

bizarre how people are moaning that they have to stay in their apartments when people are dying on the streets and whole shopping centres burnt down!! If u are that desperate to drink and <deleted> just do it in the day and then passout about 8pm!

not happy about this curfew going on for 3 more nights. that leaves the weekend in ruins. anyone know if its still possible to go out for a few drinks in bangkok anywhere at all?

tragic aint it? Hey if the bar is open, go for it but they aint gonna be. why cant anyone have any respect for authorities trying to clean up thugs? Soldiers dont need jackasses cruising around. I would imagine they will be arresting fools on the streets during curfew hours. I'm in Nana area and there must be 500 soldiers in this small radius day and night. I wouldnt dare go out during the curfew. I hope anyone who is out gets tossed in the slammer or we gonna have reds looting and pillaging all around. thank you gov't and soldiers. do what you must to protect us.

Some tourists/expats should know that they are guests here. If the country feels it is necessary to enforce a curfew to restore peace in the country they have the right to do so without asking your or anybody else s permition.

News Flash: This isn't over. There is still fighting, burning and looting going on. My GF's brother is a CID Bangkok cop undercover with the redshirts, monitoring and reporting on their continuing activities. It's turning into a guerilla war. He told her this morning, that the authorities believe that Bangkok will not be completely safe for some time to come, maybe years.

:) and my friend's cousin's brother is bruce lee!

not happy about this curfew going on for 3 more nights. that leaves the weekend in ruins. anyone know if its still possible to go out for a few drinks in bangkok anywhere at all?

tragic aint it? Hey if the bar is open, go for it but they aint gonna be. why cant anyone have any respect for authorities trying to clean up thugs? Soldiers dont need jackasses cruising around. I would imagine they will be arresting fools on the streets during curfew hours. I'm in Nana area and there must be 500 soldiers in this small radius day and night. I wouldnt dare go out during the curfew. I hope anyone who is out gets tossed in the slammer or we gonna have reds looting and pillaging all around. thank you gov't and soldiers. do what you must to protect us.

Fully agree.

CID Undercover :) another wannabe

Good way to get shot. good luck!

I planned to visit a friend in Lat Phrao (ลาดพร้าว) this weekend, thing is my plane lands at 9pm in Bangkok. Anyone knows if there will be taxis?

Is the curfew strictly applied in Bangkok? Here in Chiang Mai I went out yesterday like any other night, they just stopped serving drinks after 9pm, but we could stay in the bar until 10.30

my understanding is that last night, there WERE taxis at the airport to pick up passengers after the curfew BUT then would NOT go into the zones effected by violence and arson (which, lad prao HAS been, but I'm not sure what it's like today). They were taking people to chonburi and bang na last night, but not much further into bangkok than bang na from what I've heard.

Since there has been a flash point in lar prao, I think you'll have trouble getting there at night. I would also suggest (as someone has already said) that you stay in a hotel near the airport (or in the bang na area) and then go to lat prao in the morning.

Edited by FarangGirlinKorat

yeah, just what the soldiers need is jackasses out and about during the curfew.

Bangkok is a huge city with many exciting & colourful corners, and even in peaceful pre-Red times, going out at night thinking "I have nothing to fear in Bangkok" is very quaint. There's exotic and interesting gang areas and places where they wouldn't even find your dainty little slippers for months.

Now with the hardcore Reds, who have automatic weapons, grenades, are high on Meth and have showed repeatedly they are more than happy to kill anybody,if you go skipping around at night out there you are incautious.

I read in the New York Times that the four leaders who surrendered yesterday, before the greatest unrest and the fires, at the speaking platform inside the Red Shirts area pleaded with those there to just give up that day and to pick up later on, that they could carry on this struggle later on. However, the crowd booed them! The leaders then left to be tried for treason. I really do not believe that, in the hearts of those who lead these demonstrations, they were at all intent on violence; they wanted to peacefully achieve something that the crowd really wants: liberty, equality and fraternity, not the "peace and bread" offerred by the Bolsheviks before the 1917 Revolution. I am sure that these people really care more about Thailand and the future of Thailand than people here seem to give credit. Why are so many here not interested in the deeper ideas behind the protests of the Red Shirts? Is it that you have a "position" here that is comfortable and, of course, with a higher economic level than most Thais will ever enjoy and you are afraid to lose it? Is it that you are carrying with you a certain sense that you are of some higher class or ethnicity than most Thais?

When I move to Thailand in 2011, I know that I will be a guest there. I will act as a guest. I will, most certainly, develop friendships there as well with people of many "classes" as well. I would hope that we could discuss things that are happening in Thai social, political, economic and cultural areas openly and that they can educate ME. I will certainly not be there to dictate what the people want, need or do. When I was there for a month on Phuket, I was fortunate to make friends there and to be able, to this day, to ask questions honestly and to discuss them freely (of course there are some things forbidden and I will not go there with them at all as I respect that as a matter of course). As a "farang" myself, I will never stand in judgement of the actions of any group in Thailand for it is, most certainly, not my "place." Fortunately, you have this forum to talk in and to say as you please to the same extent as I have.

Please, tell me, politically, socially and economically, where the Red Shirts are "off base" here! Also, what are the goods as well as the negatives of BOTH the Red Shirts AND the Yellow Shirts. What are, as you see it, the platforms of each group and how do they mesh or not mesh with the current Thai political, social and economic structure. What are the "classes" in Thai society? Where are you in terms of this heirarchy?

Thank you so much. You may email me directly, if you wish to establish a dialog over time, at [email protected].

Take care. Hopefully, for now, this is settled. However, I am sure that this entire thing will be revisited in the not-too-distant future.

:) and my friend's cousin's brother is bruce lee!

..and I bet he loves you announcing it to the world! :D

Some tourists/expats should know that they are guests here. If the country feels it is necessary to enforce a curfew to restore peace in the country they have the right to do so without asking your or anybody else s permition.

Exactly so. And tourists and expats have the equal right to take their money to countries which are not in a semi-perpetual state of virtual siege and where they are general more welcomed by the local populace. Thailand R.I.P.

Edited by Rumpole

I daubed that very much. To do so, they would need wide support among the Bangkok population and you can rest assured they do not have this. Rather the opposite - wherever they are spotted, phone calls flood the emergency number. Even the Isaanies in Bangkok who work here and did not take part in this mob are fat up with them and now they are nothing but a looting, rioting mob with any trace of demonstrators vanished. Looting gold shops and torching them, looting banks to empty the ATM machines and setting buildings on fire means that they are nothing but groups of criminals on the rampage. They have no major support in Bangkok nor in the provinces except by other criminals who may join them to try and make money.

The army has orders to shoot to kill and any westerner here who still feels he can go out during the curfew can feel free to do so but should not complain after when he gets into the way of those looters who will love to shoot at him - but don't complain after when your ass has been shot off by them.

Edited by Herm

I am sorry guys, but I just don't think it's truly that dangerous. IMHO, many of you sound like chicken little. Be that as it may, I think the smarter approach would be for them to warn people of the potential "peril." and let them decide for themselves. This is not about me parking my bottom on a bar stool. This is about personal freedom, which does exist, even in Thailand to some extent.

Why don't you try working with those in charge and stop bitching about things you can't change. If not maybe it's best you clear of home to! Everyone is trying to do their best in a difficult situation.

Exactly so. And tourists and expats have the equal right to take their money to countries which are not in a semi-perpetual state of virtual siege and where they are general more welcomed by the local populace. Thailand R.I.P.

Each tourist/expat is free to do so. I seriously wonder if any Thais will stop you/us from leaving.

Don't bother coming back!