Curfew Imposed In Chiang Mai?

BigWheelMan

It`s just been announced on all Thai radio channels that as from today there is a curfew on in Chiang Mai.

As for which Chiang Mai provinces the curfew applies is unclear and what penalties one can receive if breaking the terms of the curfew is unclear, plus whether this is a full blown curfew or emergency rule is also unclear.

Details as follows:

Thurs 20th: 9.00pm to 5.00am.

Friday 21st: 9.00pm to 5.00am.

Sat 22nd: 9.00pm to 5.00am.

My wife said that she has spoken with some other people (This is still hearsay of course) and that the word is there is panic buying going on in the Supermarkets, regarding the branches that are presently still open as many are being closed including some 7/11 stores under the emergency laws.

Of course the only way to find out if the stores are open or not is to actually go there and see.

My wife said that she has spoken with some other people (This is still hearsay of course) and that the word is there is panic buying going on in the Supermarkets, regarding the branches that are presently still open as many are being closed including some 7/11 stores under the emergency laws.

I was at Makro yesterday and no panic was in evidence. I did hear from someone that hordes of Farangs went to Rim Ping and bought everything in sight! :)

I see no reason for any panic buying; some of the stores that have connections to the current government are closing, others are closing early, but that leaves the whole day to buy absolutely anything you may need. Keep in mind all regular wet markets remain functioning no matter what, with most of their produce originating in the immediate area.

EDIT: The only exception I'll make is for liquor.. With the existing law prohibiting liquor sales, and most bars closed, there is now a very small window to get liquor purchases in.. :D Bring your truck to Wine Connection and load up!!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I did hear from someone that hordes of Farangs went to Rim Ping and bought everything in sight! :)

I stopped by Rimping Meechok around 11:00 this morning and left after taking measure of the lengthy checkout lines. Reminded me of the batten-down-the-hatches buying I saw back in the US when there was a hurricane warning or a blizzard warning. I eventually wound up at Lotus in Sansai and all seemed normal there.

I was at Makro yesterday and no panic was in evidence. I did hear from someone that hordes of Farangs went to Rim Ping and bought everything in sight! :)

I see no reason for any panic buying; some of the stores that have connections to the current government are closing, others are closing early, but that leaves the whole day to buy absolutely anything you may need. Keep in mind all regular wet markets remain functioning no matter what, with most of their produce originating in the immediate area.

I agree, Central at Kad Suan Kaew has shut as, I believe , has airport Plaza. But the town is quieter than usual and people are going about their business. Pantip Plaza, for example, was open this morning.

I'm a Brit from London, and have that spirit that my parents had in the war. Nil Carborundum - don't let the bu**ers grind you down