Eggs

Jeff1

In Thailand you always see the eggs out . In the states on a carton of eggs its say's " keep refrigerated at or below 45 degrees " .

I do eat eggs in Thailand but always cooked ( scrambled ) .

Should I be worried ? Are you ?

I always wonder when I see a pick-up truck stuck in traffic, loaded with eggs, uncovered, exposed to the sunlight, heat and diesel fumes... "There goes the salmonella express!"

It can't beat the guys with the motorcycle and side car selling those small round sausages on a string and dried squid, driving around with the stuff hanging on a rack, picking up road dust and whatever else collects on it. :o

It can't beat the guys with the motorcycle and side car selling those small round sausages on a string and dried squid, driving around with the stuff hanging on a rack, picking up road dust and whatever else collects on it.  :D

Extra flavor I guess :o That I will not eat .

In Thailand you always see the eggs out . In the states on a carton of eggs its say's " keep refrigerated at or below 45 degrees " .

Bad eggs play real havoc with my internals. I only buy from CP or major supermarkets.

Even then it's the float test. Sinks in water - OK :D Floats - has gas in it - eat it and dump it :o or just dump it. :D

Bad eggs play real havoc with my internals. I only buy from CP or major supermarkets.

Even then it's the float test. Sinks in water - OK :D Floats - has gas in it - eat it and dump it :o or just dump it. :D

Well i never heard of that theory. Nice one bdenner, i'll use that test. Has anyone else got any good theories or old tales for other types of foods?

Mr BoJ

Bad eggs play real havoc ........Well i never heard of that theory. Nice one bdenner, i'll use that test. Has anyone else got any good theories or old tales for other types of foods?

Mr BoJ

My dad used to say that if a dog will eat an egg or meat that you suspect might be bad, then it is okay for you to eat it also.

You might get an expensive vetrenarian bill to find out that it is not always true. :o

Bad eggs play real havoc ........Well i never heard of that theory. Nice one bdenner, i'll use that test. Has anyone else got any good theories or old tales for other types of foods?

Mr BoJ

My dad used to say that if a dog will eat an egg or meat that you suspect might be bad, then it is okay for you to eat it also.

You might get an expensive vetrenarian bill to find out that it is not always true. :o

But the dog ate it ! Its gone ! How is that good ?

I guess its a good way to get rid of the dog :o

Anyway , seeing the eggs outside for who knows how many days really makes me wonder how safe it is to eat . The thing about it is that Thai people can eat them with no problem at all .

My stomach is not that strong . So no eggs over easy for me .

Why should eggs be refrigerated?

I've never understood why people do this, as long as they are not stored in a hot room then they should be kept at a nutural temperature.

I don't mind eggs in Thailand but you'd have to pay me to try the pink ones. :o

:o I just let my wife do the shopping, she certainly will not buy anything that she thinks is dodgy. :D  :D

TW operated a little minimart out of house to keep 'mair' occupied. They sold eggs and kept them in the open for ever. 'Mair' and TWs daughter would eat em but I was only court once yuk -- tummy cramps! :D

Edited by bdenner

we routinely collect all the unhatched eggs that the ducks etc are sitting on after their 'due' date passes.... the thai love them.... yuck yuck yuck

and the ones with the dead chicks, well......... i tried, i really politely tried since i was told it is a delicatessan delite, washed down with whiskey, but, the white part (mostly black) i was able to swallow, the dead chick, well.......i politely popped it into friend's mouth saying he likes it more than me....

it has been marked as 'not falang food' (and i eat everything else, bugs and all)

i'm immune to salmonella already

oh, dont wash the dirty eggs u just get the bacteria pushed deeper into the egg since the egg shell is porous... and store bought eggs (that is, brand eggs and not eggs from grandma's chickens) are spraywashed w/formalin (actually something else cant remember name, but same results)

:o I just let my wife do the shopping, she certainly will not buy anything that she thinks is dodgy. :D  :D

TW operated a little minimart out of house to keep 'mair' occupied. They sold eggs and kept them in the open for ever. 'Mair' and TWs daughter would eat em but I was only court once yuk -- tummy cramps! :D

Good point ! My wife can eat ALOT of things that I can't , without getting sick .

:o life is so short dear...just eat it...anyhow cooked it well

Regards

bambi

Regards

bambi

Thanks for that Bambi ,

Yes , your right I should be a man and just eat it !

Then my life will be very short . :D

How do you like your eggs ?

You may PM me with your answer .

Jeff

Regards

bambi

Thanks for that Bambi ,

Yes , your right I should be a man and just eat it !

Then my life will be very short . :D

How do you like your eggs ?

You may PM me with your answer .

Jeff

Hi jeff

well.. im easy eating .. easy dish ..boiled egg and rice

actaully u can add egg with many Thai dish...stream egg , Th omlette with minced pork ,put it in fried egg, well i mean in instant noodle too ..etc ...how can i explain..lol lemme cook for you then :D

it's me bambi :D

dear jeff

well ..i dont know u can cook or not..but if you can ..try this one

1 fried egg

2 make topping... oil +galic (farang hates?)+minced pork+vegie as tomato ,baby corn,sweet pea + add taste by ketchup,fish sauce or thing make it salty >>>fried

aroi na ja (yummy)

bambi :o

That sounds good , but ketchup ? Actually im a good cook but Thai food is not easy for me to make . Last night I made Lob Moo it was more like Lob soup :o

But I like eggs every morning and at times I like to have them with the yoke under cooked on toast , Not in Thailand . :D

That sounds good , but ketchup ?  Actually im a good cook but Thai food is not easy for me to make . Last night I made  Lob Moo it was more like Lob soup  :o

But I like eggs every morning and at times I like to have them with the yoke under cooked on toast , Not in Thailand .  :D

heheh good to know u re good for cook..

haha did lab moo..but look like soup?

next time pour -rinse soup off ..okie dokie??

hehehe....dont tell me much about your meal

coz...

im hungry :D

ciao ..come stai..,comment cava...whatever u speak......

have a good day

bambi.....

goooooooooosh im hungry :D

I hate them preserved eggs they eat. Absolutely discusting. Had my food ruined many a time at a food hall when they decide to add one of these horrible things.

I the Philipines, they have 10 day old duck eggs which have aduck fetus in them. The white looks and tastes like a pencil eraser and the joke is threaded with veins and dried blood. Yuk! :o Once had a ferry captain invite me in to his ward room to drink my whisky and be served with these foul (pun intended) things.

I got him drunk and left hinm to eat the eggs!

Came across them a lot in the PPs,V-N and Kampuchaea but not 2 much in LOS.

Thais dont tend to go in for cooking and eating dogs much either so might be related :D

Anyway for all the budding chefs here the Receipe.....Enjoy

HOW TO MAKE BALUT & CENTURY EGGS

BALUT

The retail price of balut is about 50% higher than that of fresh eggs.

Moreover, all the materials needed are cheap, and easily available in rural villages.

WHAT IS BALUT ?

Balut (Pilipino) or hot vit lon (Vietnamese) are incubated fertilized duck eggs, which are boiled for 20-30 minutes when the embryo is 16-18 days old. The embryonated eggs are incubated in a balutan or some other kind of artificial incubator. A typical balutan is a low building with walls of bamboo or nipa palm and a corrugated iron roof. Small windows are provided for ventilation. Rice hull or sawdust is spread on the floor to absorb excess moisture.

HOW TO MAKE BALUT

1. Select eggs that are fit for incubation. Eggs should come from mated flocks, and be not more than five days old. They should have thick shells without any cracks.

2. Preheat the selected eggs under the sun for three to five hours.

3. Heat some unpolished rice in an iron cauldron or vat until it reaches a temperature of about 42 to 42.5 degrees C (107 to 108 degrees F).

4. Put 100 to 125 eggs into a large cloth made of either abaca (sinamay) or nylon.

5. Place a layer of heated rice at the bottom of a cylindrical bamboo incubator basket (45 cm in diameter and 60 cm deep, Fig.1 and Fig. 2), and place a bag of eggs on the rice. Alternate the bags of eggs with the bags of heated rice. Eight bags of eggs will fit into the basket. Bamboo baskets can be arranged either in a single row along the wall of the balutan, or in double rows placed in the middle of the balutan. Rice hull is firmly tamped down between baskets as an insulator.

6. Turn the eggs at least two or three times a day (Fig. 3).

7. Heat the rice in the morning and in the afternoon on cool days.

8. Candle the eggs on the 7th, 14th and 18th day to select infertile eggs; D1 (dead embryo on first candling) and D2 (dead embryo on second candling). The infertile eggs, both D1 and D2, are removed, hard-boiled, and sold as a snack.

9. Eggs containing a normal embryo candled on the 16th to 18th day should be hard boiled and sold as balut or hot vit lon.

CAUTION

The shelf life of balut is one day, but this may be extended to one week if the eggs are kept in a refrigerator.

CENTURY EGG

This simple procedure adds value as well as extending the shelf life of duck eggs. Century eggs are a very popular traditional Chinese delicacy, served as an appetizer or as a condiment for some dishes.

WHAT IS A CENTURY EGG ?

Pidan (Chinese) or alkalized egg is a traditional Chinese delicacy made from either duck or chicken eggs. These are often called thousand-year or century-old eggs, even though the preserving process lasts only about 30 days. Eggs are soaked in a saline solution (for 15 days in summer or 20 days in winter).

No boiling is needed.

To check eggs for cracks, test according to the sound of eggs knocked gently against each other.

Good eggs give off a higher pitch. Ammonia (NH3) is sometimes emitted, which has a pungent smell.

HOW TO MAKE CENTURY EGGS

1. Preparing the pickling solution:

Water 1L

Sodium chloride(NaCl) 72g

Sodium hydroxide(NaOH) 42g

Dissolve the NaCl and NaOH completely in water. Bring the solution to a boil and allow it to cool down before use.

2. Submerge the eggs in the saline solution, and store at 15 to 20oC for about 10 days.

3. Pick out the pickled eggs and rinse them. Then allow them to dry naturally.

4. Coat with PVA (polyvinyl acetate) or some other non-ventilated packaging material. An alternative is to add red soil to the saline solution after the pickled eggs are removed. Coat the eggs with the mud, and roll them in rice husk. Age for about 2 weeks.

5. Crack the eggs lightly and remove the shell. The white of the egg will have a grayish, translucent color, and a gelatinous texture. The yolk, when sliced, will be a grayish-green color.

6. To serve, cut into wedges and serve with bean curd (tofu) as an appetizer, or as a condiment for dishes such as rice gruel (congee).

CAUTION

Ammonia (NH3) is sometimes emitted, especially from cracked eggs, which has an unpleasant smell. :D:o

CAUTION

Ammonia (NH3) is sometimes emitted, especially from cracked eggs, which has an unpleasant smell. biggrin.gif whistling.gif

unpleasant is not the word, since:

our kibbutz had until recently a chick hatchery near my house;; guess who our best customers were for the unhatched (garbage) eggs?........ guess who had to transport them???.......

and they dont count days, they take them now matter how old , since our park's ducks/chickens, and yes , our ostrich, etc sit and dont always hatch out the egss, and we collect once every few weeks, (or when an unfertile egg explodes!!!)...the thai take them no matter how old.......... YUCK YUCK BIG BIG YUCK............and the bigger the egg, the nastier the yucky yoke./embryo.....

Edited by bina