Thai Fonts On Ipod

nikster

I was quite surprised to see Thai fonts don't show on the iPod (latest 'Classic' model bought a week ago).

This one was bought in Thailand, and it's for my wife, she has a lot of songs that are in Thai, e.g. Artist name, album name, and song names are all in Thai. They show just fine in iTunes, and on the iPhone. But on the iPod, it's all blanks.

Anyone know how to fix this? I found some info online but it's from 2006 so quite outdated...

Perhaps you can update to the latest iPod software and it might have thai fonts, google that.

Well I did a quick gaoogle and Richard Barrow says you can go to a thai apple shop and they will enable thai fonts for a small fee. Makes sense since all thai people would want thai fonts on their iPods.

Edited by TheLaughingMan

Perhaps you can update to the latest iPod software and it might have thai fonts, google that.

Well I did a quick gaoogle and Richard Barrow says you can go to a thai apple shop and they will enable thai fonts for a small fee. Makes sense since all thai people would want thai fonts on their iPods.

Ok I will try. Also sent a bug report to Apple. It's a bit of a joke since older iPods can do this no problem. But yes will try the Apple store.

I just want to double check the situation on new iPods. I was looking at a new iPod Nano in a shop here in Ireland. More in hope than expectation, I asked if it supported the Thai language. The shop assistant went to the Main Menu>>>Settings>>>Language and - to my surprise - there was Thai in the menu. My 3 year old iPod Classic gets regular updates but doesn't have Thai as an option.

So I now know that i can buy an iPod for my g/f and it will at least have the menus in Thai. But the most important question - and one I still don't have the answer to - is will it now recognize song titles/CD names in Thai script at long last?

Edited by Tedhead

Here's an odd one. After reading this thread, I did some googling (ooh missus).

The Thai language is not supported on new iPod Classics:

http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/specs.html

But - it appears - that the Thai language is supported on the new i Pod Nanos:

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/specs.html

And it is supported on iPod Touchs:

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

And it is supported on iPhones:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

My question still remains as to what 'supported' means in this context. Surely if you can have the menus all in Thai - and I saw that much on an iPod Nano today, that means that song titles in Thai fonts will also display. But I'm taking nothing for granted, and I'd like to hear from someone who's bought an iPod Nano, Touch or iPhone recently whether it displays song titles in Thai script.

Why should the Classic be the odd one out? I'm guessing because it's now relatively old stock and they're not going to bother upgrading them with new firmware/software.

@TedHead - The Classic is not old, it was updated recently.

I believe older classics were able to display Thai fonts. New ones are not. This seems to be a bug or an oversight but I find it ridiculous (yet typical!!) that they don't tell you this at the iStudio. We're in Thailand, and this model cannot display Thai fonts - but they don't find it worth mentioning. I never would have thought to ask because this particular issue was resolved some 6, 7 years ago. I had Thai fonts displaying on an ancient iPod mini... and all other iPod models can do it too.

So. New iPod Classic. Doesn't display Thai fonts. There is no way around it, no tricks you could do. Have to wait for Apple to update the firmware. I feel an email to Steve coming on... this is a joke...