Tony's Gym - Jomtien

gab

a couple of days ago they were still finishing and no sign of a promotion area open--------i think they are a bit slow with coming forward with some sort of promotion before opening---------come on tony

a couple of days ago they were still finishing and no sign of a promotion area open--------i think they are a bit slow with coming forward with some sort of promotion before opening---------come on tony

There is a smaller gym recently opened by Jomtien market but its not Tonys.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Are you talking about tonys gym ,3rd road?, there is a new gym ,being built opposite , and its not finished yet ,he has signs in the existing gym ,saying .....coming soon ,new state of the art gym, for the serious body builder,......its next to tonys food hall.

Are you talking about tonys gym ,3rd road?, there is a new gym ,being built opposite , and its not finished yet ,he has signs in the existing gym ,saying .....coming soon ,new state of the art gym, for the serious body builder,......its next to tonys food hall.

No, Tony is building a Gym in Jomtien itself, near the Hanuman Statue.

I did see the "Gym" at the Market, must be like in hel_l to do your training there, open air and with the heat we have at the moment I think I would set the thing under water with sweat :)

No, Tony is building a Gym in Jomtien itself, near the Hanuman Statue.

I did see the "Gym" at the Market, must be like in hel_l to do your training there, open air and with the heat we have at the moment I think I would set the thing under water with sweat :)

i reckon the dust particles attached to the diesel---------and its dirty emission diesel as well--------particles make this place one of the most unhealthy on the planet

• 3 months later...

Hi,

This gym is opened now. I wonder if they check your bag when you leave as they do at any Tony's gym ? :-)

If they don't do it yet, don't worry, they will start doing it later when you will have paid for your 1 year membership !

And what is the deal there ? How much for 1 year without having to bargain with stupid sales like it is the rule at California fitness ?

Thanks.

He's insulting the art by claiming that. It's false advertising. He's transferred all the old 3rd Road gym's equipment there and put in a lot of copy Hammer Strength Machines etc. The rubber dumbbells are a joke.

Still, it's ok for here. Serious bodybuilders don't have a lot of choices.

He's insulting the art by claiming that. It's false advertising. He's transferred all the old 3rd Road gym's equipment there and put in a lot of copy Hammer Strength Machines etc. The rubber dumbbells are a joke.

Still, it's ok for here. Serious bodybuilders don't have a lot of choices.

I had a look in there a few weeks ago ...I have been 3 times before and each time I was told it was opening in 2 weeks...

I did however think it was strange that a brand new gym building had "rusty" bars and weights.....now I know why...old stock moved from 3rd road.

If you do not know Jomtien and you want to find Tony's, you just have to rumble south down Thrappaya road on a Baht Bus. This is the road that looks like it has been recently carpet bombed.

Ring the bell just as you see the Statue.

Then walk through dust, mud, pot holes, raw sewage, discarded noodle soup bags, spilt Som Tam and fallen/discarded old electrical wiring. Go past the 7/11 at the Statue, turn left at the Ace Cafe and its about 60yds down to your left. When you finish your workout.....you can fatten up again with a big Burger at the small stall outside.B)

Say hello to Ning for me....

The best I was offered for membership was 2,300 baht a month, is this not a bit steep for a Tony's ?

I'll stick to the Hard Body Gym - Soi 3 off Jomtien Beach......cheap and cheerful and has all anyone would need in a proper gym even for "serious" Body Builders.

Frank Zane Rules OK......:D

and has all anyone would need in a proper gym even for "serious" Body Builders.

Frank Zane Rules OK......:D

Frank Zane did rule but even back in the late 70's he wouldn't have been satisfied with the quality of Tony's equipment.

There's never going to be a proper gym for serious bodybuilders in Pattaya. They're all compromises and unfortunately the new Tonys gym he's building will be the closest approximation to a "proper bodybuilding gym". The reason no one will ever build a proper gym is because proper equipment must be imported and costs far too much.

Any photo of how should look a proper gym ? I guess i have never seen one.

All fitness equipment in Thailand is imported anyway.

You don't have a clue.

There's photos of good gyms all over the internet. Check out Gold's Gym and World's Gyms in the US. There's plenty of other famous ones too. Bev Francis Powerhouse in NY is great example. Too many others to list.

Most of Tony's stuff is made in Thailand and it's junk. Most of the rest are just bits and pieces of old used equipment he's bought second hand. A good example is the leg press and hack squat at the soi 16 gym he had locally made. They are so bad they're dangerous.

I didn't know also Hard Body Gym Soi 3 off Jomtien Beach, how much is it ?

Thanks.

Hard Body Gym - I pay 1,000 baht per month - Because I work 28/28 rotation and base my self in Jomtien when I am off work.

I cannot remember what it is for a year....could be 8,000 / 10,000 - Not sure ?

and if any one out there still believes the "urban myth" that old Body builders go " all to fat" ( like you can turn lead into gold) Google Frank Zane.

He was the only guy to beat Arne in his day and I hope I look as good as Frank at his age....:jap:

Edited by lonewolf99

You don't have a clue.

There's photos of good gyms all over the internet. Check out Gold's Gym and World's Gyms in the US. There's plenty of other famous ones too. Bev Francis Powerhouse in NY is great example. Too many others to list.

Most of Tony's stuff is made in Thailand and it's junk. Most of the rest are just bits and pieces of old used equipment he's bought second hand. A good example is the leg press and hack squat at the soi 16 gym he had locally made. They are so bad they're dangerous.

I thought Tony was such a good gym especially the one at soi 16?

Posted 2008-03-16 07:55

Copy machines like Tony? Copy of what? 300 lb cable stacks, olympic bars with load of plates, heavy DBs to 135 lbs, Hammer Strength machines...these are not old fashioned at all.

You're probably talking about fitness training in contrast to real lifting in a hard core environment. It's a different sport.

I'll meet you down at Tony's one day and show you a real workout on "old-fashioned" equipment lol.

This post has been edited by tropo: 2008-03-16 07:58

Posted 2009-01-17 00:48

You should get down to a gym sometime and workout because you know nothing about gyms.

Short cables are essential so that tall people can get a full stretch on pulldown movements. If you're too short, they have extensions you can add to the cable. Just ask one of the staff to attach it if you're too lazy to jump up.

All the Hammer Strength machines are in perfect working order.

The DBs and Olympic bars are also in good condition. Of course you wouldn't know because you probably have never used them. I've loaded them up to 500 lbs with no problems at all and I use all the DB's up to 135 lbs.

For anyone who does serious lifting, tony's gym (Soi 16) is a fantastic gym. It's a pleasure to workout there. For anyone who likes shinny bullshit machines, go elsewhere and train with the girls.

This post has been edited by tropo: 2009-01-17 00:50

Is this about short memory or not having a clue? :)

You don't have a clue.

I thought Tony was such a good gym especially the one at soi 16?

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__1873944

Posted 2008-03-16 07:55

Copy machines like Tony? Copy of what? 300 lb cable stacks, olympic bars with load of plates, heavy DBs to 135 lbs, Hammer Strength machines...these are not old fashioned at all.

You're probably talking about fitness training in contrast to real lifting in a hard core environment. It's a different sport.

I'll meet you down at Tony's one day and show you a real workout on "old-fashioned" equipment lol.

This post has been edited by tropo: 2008-03-16 07:58

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__2470586

Posted 2009-01-17 00:48

You should get down to a gym sometime and workout because you know nothing about gyms.

Short cables are essential so that tall people can get a full stretch on pulldown movements. If you're too short, they have extensions you can add to the cable. Just ask one of the staff to attach it if you're too lazy to jump up.

All the Hammer Strength machines are in perfect working order.

The DBs and Olympic bars are also in good condition. Of course you wouldn't know because you probably have never used them. I've loaded them up to 500 lbs with no problems at all and I use all the DB's up to 135 lbs.

For anyone who does serious lifting, tony's gym (Soi 16) is a fantastic gym. It's a pleasure to workout there. For anyone who likes shinny bullshit machines, go elsewhere and train with the girls.

This post has been edited by tropo: 2009-01-17 00:50

AMAZING THAILAND.....AND THAI VISA....All this started 'cos someone asked if a Gym was open in Jomtien and it turns into a bun fight of insults about what a gym should look like.

I have had to make do with what I have had at hand / could afford at the time for my house / and the best Gym near where I have lived for over 35 years. If any one cares to to go up to the Big Buddha in Pattaya, you will see a perfectly good "improvised" gym at the side of the road with concrete weights that remind me of Fred Flintsone. Motor Cycle taxi drivers cannot afford California Wows "special" yearly rates.....

Golds Gym / California Wow / Tony's are "Fit for Purpose" in a town that caters for all tastes and all backgrounds.

If you are a "serious" gym addict then you make the most of what you got or can get at the time. ...ie. a pair of dining chairs will do for tricep dips. You do not need a room full of Nautolus machines for isolation exercises....:blink:

Guys and Girls.....Might I suggest any pent up aggression that is used to vent vitriol on Thai Visa be saved for your next work out....where ever that might be...:P

Edited by lonewolf99

You've certainly got a lot of time on your hands.

You're wasting your time pulling up my old posts on Tonys because my assessment of Tony's was based on what is available in Pattaya, not on what I consider to be good gym in the wider international arena. As far as a gyms in Pattaya are concerned it's about the best hardcore gym but that's not saying much because hardcore trainers don't have much choice.

Previous to training at Tony's I was really roughing in Philippine gyms and it's awhile since I've trained in a real gym. My initial excitement of Tony's at Soi 16 was after training in the jungle for quite a few years.

Apart from that, Tony's on Soi 16 has gone downhill a lot since my initial assessment 3 years ago:

1. No more aircon at night - that's when I train

2. No more water

3. A big shortage of plates.

4. He's removed quite a few good pieces of equipment and replaced them with junk.

5. Bad maintenance on his equipment

6. Serious layout deficiencies since he expanded eg Too far to walk to load the machines.

Not realy but I have a quite good memory.Especially if someone argued with me 2 years ago that there are no copy machines in Tony's and now shouts from the tower that it are ALL copy and crap machines. :)

Edited by basjke

As you trained in the forest before you must know good gym doesn't make good body builder...

:-)

Having trained in the forest I know that it's even harder to be a good bodybuilder in the forest. All top bodybuilders train in world class facilities. When you're advanced, a good gym makes a huge difference. If you're a beginner you can do it at home with next to nothing.

Not realy but I have a quite good memory.Especially if someone argued with me 2 years ago that there are no copy machines in Tony's and now shouts from the tower that it are ALL copy and crap machines. :)

In Soi 16 all the Hammer Strength machines bar one were original. He's now started making a lot of copy stuff that can be seen in the new "amazing gym" on 3rd Road and some in Soi 16. I don't consider the cable stacks to be copies because they are standard in any gym. They're just cables on pulleys attached to weight stacks.

The bottom line is that he's going downhill BUT we don't have a lot of choices. Recently I've been doing all my workouts at California Wow, but that's not a heavy duty gym by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by tropo

• 1 year later...

As tony is not even able to show clearly on its cheap ugly website that my 5 years old daughter could do better where are located its clubs, can anyone tell me how many Tony Gym at Pattaya ? And where ?

How much to use any club and are they REALLY 24 hours ?

Now that California fitness is closed should we try to convince any stupid owner to give the same price for foreigners as for Thai, especially if dozens of us are going to this new club to apply for memberships ?

Thanks.

As tony is not even able to show clearly on its cheap ugly website that my 5 years old daughter could do better where are located its clubs, can anyone tell me how many Tony Gym at Pattaya ? And where ?

How much to use any club and are they REALLY 24 hours ?

Now that California fitness is closed should we try to convince any stupid owner to give the same price for foreigners as for Thai, especially if dozens of us are going to this new club to apply for memberships ?

Thanks.

Tony has many gyms in Pattaya, only problem is that you have to catch up since they move around faster than a rabbit makes bunnies.

And yes they are 24 hour, only problem is that they cut the electric at night laugh.png

Tony has many gyms in Pattaya, only problem is that you have to catch up since they move around faster than a rabbit makes bunnies.

And yes they are 24 hour, only problem is that they cut the electric at night laugh.png

Yeah, I just spotted another Tony's on Soi Kao Talo on my way down to check out Castra. He's offering 49 baht per workouts there. Open air for sure.

I wish he'd stop putting together pretend gyms and give us one good one. If he took the best of all his rubbish gyms he'd be able to put together one good one - and then use the air conditioning.

Edited by tropo

I have heard from friends Tony has a new gym opening next month on Buakow..near the market...not sure what market tho...tues/fri day market or the all nite market down by Numchai restaurant..or what used to be Numchai restaurant

I have heard from friends Tony has a new gym opening next month on Buakow..near the market...not sure what market tho...tues/fri day market or the all nite market down by Numchai restaurant..or what used to be Numchai restaurant

I saw that new place on Buakow. Looks pretty nice. Signs claim it will have all imported equipment. Probably open within a few months or so.