Time For A National Police Force?

losworld

Perhaps it is time for the government to establish a national police force similar to say for instance the organization of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. This would ensure more safety in times of regional crisis as well as possibly eliminating the role of the Army in these types of situations. What do you think?

The last time I checked, Thailand's police force IS a national one. All the lines of responsibility and communication roll up to the sen yai (Big Noodle) in Bangkok.

However, if the point you are making is about the quality or specific organizational characteristics of the police force modeled after the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, can you give us more specifics? (Is it the pretty red uniforms? The horses? Details, man. :) )

RCMP.jpg

RCMP%20TUNIC%20RED%20SERGE.jpg

Edited by toptuan

The last time I checked, Thailand's police force IS a national one. All the lines of responsibility and communication roll up to the sen yai (Big Noodle) in Bangkok.

However, if the point you are making is about the quality or specific organizational characteristics of the police force modeled after the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, can you give us more specifics? (Is it the pretty red uniforms? The horses? Details, man. :) )

RCMP.jpg

I'd like to see more officers like the one in the top photo. :D However, I'm speaking of a national police force answering directly to a particular Minister in Cabinet. Officers would be more highly trained and most importantly Officers are moved on a regular basis so they are less likely to build contacts in the community that may deter the administration of justice. I think this last point would have been particularly helpful in this last series of events.

So who does the Bangkok police force answer to as top dog? I'm talking in terms of organizational structure and not indirect influences if you know what I mean.

Edited by losworld

It would be better if they are trained to predict and stop these problems proactively before it become a huge problem.

The government was sleep and never expected for the Red Shirt to move and stay in Ratchaprasong.

They government could stop before they become as many as they were

If the Prime Minister's Office had full authority over the police and Army then things would be different. The system is not set up for the government (Parliment) to really be able to control the country in case of national crisis. No government is perfect.

I'd like to see more officers like the one in the top photo. :) However, I'm speaking of a national police force answering directly to a particular Minister in Cabinet. Officers would be more highly trained and most importantly Officers are moved on a regular basis so they are less likely to build contacts in the community that may deter the administration of justice. I think this last point would have been particularly helpful in this last series of events.

So who does the Bangkok police force answer to as top dog? I'm talking in terms of organizational structure and not indirect influences if you know what I mean.

There is the Commander of the Police (พบตร.) but not sure who he is.

Actually, what is needed, is the complete opposite. They need province police, with an elected sheriff. The decentralization of the police, and allowing provinces to elect all their local officials will be a big first step in solving many problems. Then a national police that supervises national crimes similar to the FBI

Perhaps it is time for the government to establish a national police force similar to say for instance the organization of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. This would ensure more safety in times of regional crisis as well as possibly eliminating the role of the Army in these types of situations. What do you think?

Have another Chang. It will take decades for corruption to be eliminated from the current police force. "Moved to inactive post" should be replaced by "Jailed for 10 years" - that may help when corrupt police are caught out.

It is my understanding (I may be wrong) that the current police force was started back in the 60's by a guy who was Thaksin's mentor. Not sure if he was an army guy or what but I heard the force was created to serve his interests and has evolved into what it is today. Anyone have any insight into this?

Have another Chang. It will take decades for corruption to be eliminated from the current police force. "Moved to inactive post" should be replaced by "Jailed for 10 years" - that may help when corrupt police are caught out.

Yes I understand but it is a step in the right direction and may actually respond to the gov't in power when called upon. This will help prevent unruly situations and reduce the need to call in the military. If the Thai police had proven to be an effective force earlier this may not have mushroomed. I'll reexamine this after a few more Chang.

Yes I understand but it is a step in the right direction and may actually respond to the gov't in power when called upon. This will help prevent unruly situations and reduce the need to call in the military. If the Thai police had proven to be an effective force earlier this may not have mushroomed. I'll reexamine this after a few more Chang.

I will buy you a few Chang if you can get a bit nearer to finding the answer :)

I think the police come under the control of one of the ministries (Interior ministry) but could be mistaken. We/Thai's??? can see the pitfalls of the present system, but it will take a major rethink of this as well as the other systems/ministries which work in a similar manner. (money rolls uphill). A local police chief who would report to a civilian board, police schooling (criminal justice degree), testing, etc would have to enter into the solution. This would take a complete revamp of the Thai way. good luck

RCMP.jpg

I wouldn't mind having her take down my particulars.

I will buy you a few Chang if you can get a bit nearer to finding the answer :D

Can I have a Leo? Changs give me a headache. :)

Hmmmmmm lets see.......Canadas size is 3 times bigger then Thailand and its total population is now 33,311,400.

Bangkoks population alone is 12,000,000

Thailand at 67,386,383

Can we have a bunch of drunken police running around drunk on lao khao here trying to control 67,386,383 other people drunk on lao khao and picking their children up from school on their horses?

To reform the Thai police is a job without hope :D

A bit like trying to reform the police and stamp out corruption here in Australia, here an independant police state police system is used, poor training,and mis management is the order of the day, this is not an aussie bashing! just trying to compare police forces , I wonder if there are as many unpunished deaths in custody in thailand as there are here :)