Speedcamera's

monty

Just noticed Pattaya Police (NOT highway police) installed a speed camera under a bridge on the new part of the highway going into town.

AFAIK that would be a first for Pattaya!

Just curious how it was determined that it was a speed camera and not an ordinary CCTV like many others in Pattaya.

What are the distinguishing characteristics of a speed camera? Was there a radar unit mounted next to it?

Was there a sign that said "Pattaya Police Speed Camera"?

Edited by morejunk

Just curious how it was determined that it was a speed camera and not an ordinary CCTV like many others in Pattaya.

What are the distinguishing characteristics of a speed camera? Was there a radar unit mounted next to it?

Was there a sign that said "Pattaya Police Speed Camera"?

Looks like the speed cameras in the UK. CCTV cameras are usually smaller than this.

Thanks to the OP for the warning though.

Camera on tripod manned by three cops with a Pattaya police car close by :)

Unless they were shooting a movie of course...

A tripod is a lot different than "installed". Thanks for the additional input. Were they using a radar gun also?

I haven't seen the camera in question but I doubt if it is an automated speed camera of the type seen in Europe. For that to work they would need a full back office operation to identify the owner of the number plate, identify who was driving and send out a fine notice by post. I can't see that happening in Thailand for a while yet.

I got pulled on one of these "tripod mounted" cameras on approach to Suphan Buri one day, also hiding in the shadows under the bridge, i got pulled over about 500m up the road, had to go and sign two bits of paper at the side of the road (one was a reciept, one some kind of acknowledgment of a warning), only 100 baht official fine. They showed me the video footage and everything, a more proffesional set up than the usual hand in the window routine!

The police man said 90kmh speed limit, 90 to 110 on the camera 100 Baht fine, 110 to 120 was 200 Baht fine and over 120 kmh was 500 baht fine. Luckily i was only doin 105.

So what is the official speed limit on the new Pattaya section of the motorway? 90 or 120?

I got pulled on one of these "tripod mounted" cameras on approach to Suphan Buri one day, also hiding in the shadows under the bridge, i got pulled over about 500m up the road, had to go and sign two bits of paper at the side of the road (one was a reciept, one some kind of acknowledgment of a warning), only 100 baht official fine. They showed me the video footage and everything, a more proffesional set up than the usual hand in the window routine!

The police man said 90kmh speed limit, 90 to 110 on the camera 100 Baht fine, 110 to 120 was 200 Baht fine and over 120 kmh was 500 baht fine. Luckily i was only doin 105.

So what is the official speed limit on the new Pattaya section of the motorway? 90 or 120?

I think on a highway like the one pattaya-chonburi speedlimit is 110 km/h.

I think on a highway like the one pattaya-chonburi speedlimit is 110 km/h.

I don't think there is anywhere in Thailand that has a 110 speed limit. It's either 90 or 120 on dual carriageways. They just don't make it obvious which one it is!

The speed limit on the new part of the highway is 90 KMH as is the rest of it, apart from the motorway, which is 120 KMH

The use of speed cameras is not new in Thailand, there have been several cases of people receiving fines by post, with a picture of the car and speed / location, I can testify first hand on this, coz I've had one! (over 2 years ago)

'Hint' favourite place is between KM 108 - KM 107...........

Camera on tripod manned by three cops with a Pattaya police car close by :)

Unless they were shooting a movie of course...

so its not installed at all is moveable which is worse--------they wont be able to send in the post here so when fully op i spose will stop further down road-----------would love to hear some of the conversations with thais caught eg.--------------------

" i once opened a door for the top policeman 30 years ago so you cant do me "

I haven't seen the camera in question but I doubt if it is an automated speed camera of the type seen in Europe. For that to work they would need a full back office operation to identify the owner of the number plate, identify who was driving and send out a fine notice by post. I can't see that happening in Thailand for a while yet.

Highway police regularly uses the "gun" type manual speed camera's on a tripod. They usually hiding on the side of the road without police car nearby. After taking the picture they send it to your vehicle registration address, for you to pay a 400 Baht fine at the police station or through the post office. If you fail to pay the fine you won't be able to renew your car registration.

Highway police only sends fines to drivers that drive faster than 120 KM/H.

Well, they sure weren't there anymore 9 am today :)

Highway police regularly uses the "gun" type manual speed camera's on a tripod. They usually hiding on the side of the road without police car nearby. After taking the picture they send it to your vehicle registration address, for you to pay a 400 Baht fine at the police station or through the post office. If you fail to pay the fine you won't be able to renew your car registration.

In our nick of the woods they (is highway police) use the "wet finger" speed detection system and they are definitely not interested in sending out fines to your address, rather 500 meters down the road they will have some colleagues doing the "on the spot fine" thingy without receipt :D

Speed Kills!!!

Nice to hear they are doing a professional job. :)

do not presume they were interested in any other safety related motoring offences, like no helmets, persons riding in the back of pick up trucks, unsafe loads, overloaded motor bikes etc?

Speed Kills!!!

do not presume they were interested in any other safety related motoring offences, like no helmets, persons riding in the back of pick up trucks, unsafe loads, overloaded motor bikes etc?

nothing to do with saving lives ! its all about the money !!

Speed Kills!!!

whats an overloaded motorbike------------more than 4 adults plus one kid or do you mean too many accessories-----mirrors and chrome that sort of thing

Especially as many vehicles are still registered against some person that owned the car way back when.

I got caught by a gun last year. I was doing 122. When pulled over by the cop, I of course was skeptical. Thinking this was a scam. But when he showed me my speed, he was right on. Never saw the guys with the gun. It was a 500B fine there, or 250 if we went to the station. I paid 500B.

I am in total support of this...especially if it helps with those crazy Thai drivers in MBs, BMWs or whatever with a red tag. They tail gate like crazy...and speed like crazy...an accident waiting to happen.

I got caught by a gun last year. I was doing 122. When pulled over by the cop, I of course was skeptical. Thinking this was a scam. But when he showed me my speed, he was right on. Never saw the guys with the gun. It was a 500B fine there, or 250 if we went to the station. I paid 500B.

I am in total support of this...especially if it helps with those crazy Thai drivers in MBs, BMWs or whatever with a red tag. They tail gate like crazy...and speed like crazy...an accident waiting to happen.

You got that right - in a straight line anyways!, just watch them when they are confronted with traffic lights, a roundabout or a junction - completely clueless!! :)

You got that right - in a straight line anyways!, just watch them when they are confronted with traffic lights, a roundabout or a junction - completely clueless!! :)

I spent many years as a traveling salesman driving in Los Angeles, New York AND in Boston. All really tough places to drive. Very aggressive drivers. When I would have somebody up my AS*, we did what was called a brake test. Pound on the brakes and watch the guys swerve behind us. Kinda mean, but having somebody in your "back seat" was no fun.

I did this the other day to a BMW who was inches behind me. Man, he swerved from lane to lane and almost lost it. He was so far behind me I never saw him again. It was easy when I owned my Infinity Q45...not so easy with my current mini-Jap car!

I spent many years as a traveling salesman driving in Los Angeles, New York AND in Boston. All really tough places to drive. Very aggressive drivers. When I would have somebody up my AS*, we did what was called a brake test. Pound on the brakes and watch the guys swerve behind us. Kinda mean, but having somebody in your "back seat" was no fun.

I did this the other day to a BMW who was inches behind me. Man, he swerved from lane to lane and almost lost it. He was so far behind me I never saw him again. It was easy when I owned my Infinity Q45...not so easy with my current mini-Jap car!

I have had people try and kill me for doing stuff like that here (in my newbie days). Better to afford a faster car and just speed up when they try to ovetake - this makes them more mad, but not in a way that makes them want to shoot you.

I got done on this stretch yesterday and paid THB 200. -

The tripod is under a bridge in the middle of the road, rather than to the left hand side.

I have noticed them several times already under that bridge,as well as today,but I never see the second half of the team.How did they stop you?

I have had people try and kill me for doing stuff like that here (in my newbie days). Better to afford a faster car and just speed up when they try to ovetake - this makes them more mad, but not in a way that makes them want to shoot you.

They do the same stuff in LA. My Q was a really fast car. Fun to drive. Here in LOS, I don't think my City will tear the stripes off the pavement! :D Best to do what you say and just get over. I don't mind them driving fast, just when they are doing it inches from my bumper!!!! I know they are not that good at driving....

I got done on this stretch yesterday and paid THB 200. -

The tripod is under a bridge in the middle of the road, rather than to the left hand side.

I have noticed them several times already under that bridge,as well as today,but I never see the second half of the team.How did they stop you?

Two cops in the road with those mini light saber things. They were a long way ahead of the speed trap though - at least 3 km's.